Hi Everyone

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's the Octo Lux T90, 180L and looking for info on must haves to get a reef going, I know the main thing needed is patience haha
Then you already know more than I did when I started!

One of the main questions is what type of coral you might want and whether you’ll be keeping fish as well as coral so that we can start making recommendations on filtration system as well as on lighting and flow since the type of coral you want to eventually keep will largely dictate what makes the most sense to start with.

Also, I cannot recommend this enough: a few pieces of live rock, even if they just go in your sump and you use dry rock for your main display, will make a big positive difference to how your system matures.

OP
OP
D

Dinnerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you already know more than I did when I started!

One of the main questions is what type of coral you might want and whether you’ll be keeping fish as well as coral so that we can start making recommendations on filtration system as well as on lighting and flow since the type of coral you want to eventually keep will largely dictate what makes the most sense to start with.

Also, I cannot recommend this enough: a few pieces of live rock, even if they just go in your sump and you use dry rock for your main display, will make a big positive difference to how your system matures.
So I have around 60kg of live rock already, coral is something I'm looking into as I'm not entirely sure what ones I want just yet, need to research this more to understand what can go with what.

Yes I would like fish too.

I am looking to get it filled with natural sea water as I have a local company that sells this.

Thanks

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I have around 60kg of live rock already, coral is something I'm looking into as I'm not entirely sure what ones I want just yet, need to research this more to understand what can go with what.

Yes I would like fish too.

I am looking to get it filled with natural sea water as I have a local company that sells this.

Thanks
That’s a great plan!

If you’re not sure which corals you want, I would suggest investing in the best lights you can afford so you have more options later on but that doesn’t mean you have to break the bank, there are many great budget options in the market that will grow from the easiest softy to the most difficult acropora. There’s a noopsyche giveaway thread (great budget option) or there’s the AI Hydra 32HD or Radion XR30s for that tank that would do great. For flow, I am partial to Neros, a couple of Nero 5 in that size tank would do great and would allow you to have appropriate flow for any coral depending on placement and how you want to aquascape.

Are you thinking skimmer? Filter socks versus a roller mat is another consideration. Return pump selection is also important. Red Sea makes highly controllable return pumps that are great or there are great budget options from Sicce that I can recommend from first hand experience.

New systems are super exciting but I agree that there’s so many options that it is hard to know where to start!

OP
OP
D

Dinnerz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a great plan!

If you’re not sure which corals you want, I would suggest investing in the best lights you can afford so you have more options later on but that doesn’t mean you have to break the bank, there are many great budget options in the market that will grow from the easiest softy to the most difficult acropora. There’s a noopsyche giveaway thread (great budget option) or there’s the AI Hydra 32HD or Radion XR30s for that tank that would do great. For flow, I am partial to Neros, a couple of Nero 5 in that size tank would do great and would allow you to have appropriate flow for any coral depending on placement and how you want to aquascape.

Are you thinking skimmer? Filter socks versus a roller mat is another consideration. Return pump selection is also important. Red Sea makes highly controllable return pumps that are great or there are great budget options from Sicce that I can recommend from first hand experience.

New systems are super exciting but I agree that there’s so many options that it is hard to know where to start!
Okay so here's a few bits I do have already but am unsure if they are actually good haha.

Bubble Magus 3.5 Skimmer
TMC Reef Pump 4000
IllumenAir V2 900
3 x Tunze wave makers (different models)

I am looking to try and get a newer Sump tank as the one I got seems outdated and a bit scratched up, also a whole new plumbing system so all new piping.

As this was second hand I have done 2 complete cycles with equipment (excluding skimmer, the first one using some citric acid.

For now I'll go with the sock filter and possibly move on to roller filter at a later date

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Okay so here's a few bits I do have already but am unsure if they are actually good haha.

Bubble Magus 3.5 Skimmer
TMC Reef Pump 4000
IllumenAir V2 900
3 x Tunze wave makers (different models)

I am looking to try and get a newer Sump tank as the one I got seems outdated and a bit scratched up, also a whole new plumbing system so all new piping.

As this was second hand I have done 2 complete cycles with equipment (excluding skimmer, the first one using some citric acid.

For now I'll go with the sock filter and possibly move on to roller filter at a later date
Looking at your choices thus far you’ve done a good amount of research into what your size tank would need.

With the light, it looks like it might be a good light for your system but be careful with PAR; consider either buying or renting a PAR meter once you’re ready for coral. It should be able to support growth no problem.

A DC pump is definitely the way to go in my opinion and you can’t go wrong with a bubble magnus skimmer so you’re well on your way!

I have systems with filter rollers and systems with filter socks and don’t really feel like there’s a huge benefit to one versus the other besides how frequently you would change the socks versus the floss on the roller. The bioload will define that.

You’re in great shape right now.

Eshops sumps are really well thought out so they’re great options. I like to build my own sumps to suit my particular needs so I tend to buy an Aqueon tank and a diy sump kit and that usually saves a lot of money depending on what you want in your sump.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world. Good to take things slowly. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Are you from Caterham UK?
You can get the UK banner here: Click Account then “Join User Group”, scroll to the bottom and click on “United Kingdom User Group‘’
H8VECcFiTCylIqSp-MdpRw.jpeg

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back