How do I visualize flow?

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm comfortable to say I am pro when it comes to aquascaping to a visual extent, however regarding practicality, I'm an amateur. My aquariums always have dead spots all over the place, and I think what it all is, is that I cannot visialize flow patterns. In other words, when setting up my tanks I do not know what areas will have how much flow with where I have my powerheads and wave makers. Is there some sort of trick to it? I tend to scape, being so invested on how serene and beautiful it looks without even considering, nor giving a thought on how it would work effectively, and how the water will move through any of it.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm comfortable to say I am pro when it comes to aquascaping to a visual extent, however regarding practicality, I'm an amateur. My aquariums always have dead spots all over the place, and I think what it all is, is that I cannot visialize flow patterns. In other words, when setting up my tanks I do not know what areas will have how much flow with where I have my powerheads and wave makers. Is there some sort of trick to it? I tend to scape, being so invested on how serene and beautiful it looks without even considering, nor giving a thought on how it would work effectively, and how the water will move through any of it.
I aquascape then setup my circulation pumps and outlet flow accordingly. They sell loc line and such to point flow where needed and I have an mp10 that can move around a bit. For me flow is ever changing as things grow or I get bored. Flow is honestly the one thing I’m guilty of messing with ALL the time. I’ll just sit and watch my tank and decide something isn’t swaying the way I like it anymore and it starts all over lol. Don’t know if I even helped here lol. Sorry

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed and watch where all the food blows. I feed heavily basically creating a snow storm of food :face-with-hand-over-mouth: As far as visualizing how it will flow when building a scape I can't help with. I have 6 mp40s and I've been changing them up for months trying to get flow to my liking in my newest tank.

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed and watch where all the food blows. I feed heavily basically creating a snow storm of food :face-with-hand-over-mouth: As far as visualizing how it will flow when building a scape I can't help with. I have 6 mp40s and I've been changing them up for months trying to get flow to my liking in my newest tank.
My food is all consumed before I can see that:face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, feed heavy and see where the food goes is effective. I've also temporarily used fake plants (no metal) and placed them in various spots to see how much/little they move.
I use real plants, which help but I would like to pinpoint every deadspot and every spot suitable for certain corals, sponges, etc

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get Red Sea reef energy AB+ aminos, it’s neon yellow. You can use a baster and go to various spots and add some to see how it disperses. Or you can take a capful and pour into a power head to see where it ends up
Can the AB+ aminos be added as soon as a tank is set up? Are they used exclusively for this purpose? I like this idea though. Will consider!

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can the AB+ aminos be added as soon as a tank is set up? Are they used exclusively for this purpose? I like this idea though. Will consider!
They don’t contribute phosphates or nitrates. You can safely add them.

Without coral you won’t have a regular need to dose them. They are like vitamins and fatty acids that corals absorb. But it won’t cause any harm adding them at your “current” stage

See what I did there lol

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Air will make it a certain distance but will rise to the surface.

Reef energy will take up to a hour to dissolve and you can really see what happens during the first 30-60 seconds inside the tank

Fenral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as you have other tanks, I'm guessing you have an airstone ;) just hook it up under the powerhead intake and watch the bubbles ;)
finding nemo disney GIF

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t contribute phosphates or nitrates. You can safely add them.

Without coral you won’t have a regular need to dose them. They are like vitamins and fatty acids that corals absorb. But it won’t cause any harm adding them at your “current” stage

See what I did there lol
Thanks for the reply! Loved the joke haha!

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as you have other tanks, I'm guessing you have an airstone ;) just hook it up under the powerhead intake and watch the bubbles ;)
finding nemo disney GIF
As though I have many aquariums, I do not have any airstones. I've just never found myself in a situation where I'd need one. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Fenral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm strong word of advice - buy an air pump and an airstone. If the power goes out, it's a much more effective solution than trying to run a water pump to maintain minimum life support.

OP
OP
Tinnerito

Tinnerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umm strong word of advice - buy an air pump and an airstone. If the power goes out, it's a much more effective solution than trying to run a water pump to maintain minimum life support.
I do have 3 spare air pumps to which my father says will run on his diesel electrical generator if ever the power goes out.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back