How to add a frag tank on same level as sump?

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a 50 gallon low boy frag tank to my fish room. Its in the basement below my DT. I have several spots off of the return manifold I can get water from and feed into the frag tank but how do I get the water back in? The low boy I got I can drill so thats fine, the sump is Aqueon 55 and I cant drill it (Tempered). I have a few return pumps in my quiver that I can use but my issue is backfeeding during power outage or feeding. I have an Apex with some water level sensors so I could make a system where if the main pumps shut off and water fills into the frag tank at a certain level the frag return pump would stay on filling into the sump until the switch goes off and then it stops.

Any advice how to do this safely?

IMG_4172 2.jpg

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Keep your frag tank high enough so that it can gravity drain back into your sump. You will never be able to match the flow of two pumps exactly over time, no matter what someone may say. Using switches could work but could also fail.
Gravity drain is the safest way.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a 50 gallon low boy frag tank to my fish room. Its in the basement below my DT. I have several spots off of the return manifold I can get water from and feed into the frag tank but how do I get the water back in? The low boy I got I can drill so thats fine, the sump is Aqueon 55 and I cant drill it (Tempered). I have a few return pumps in my quiver that I can use but my issue is backfeeding during power outage or feeding. I have an Apex with some water level sensors so I could make a system where if the main pumps shut off and water fills into the frag tank at a certain level the frag return pump would stay on filling into the sump until the switch goes off and then it stops.

IMG_4172 2.jpg
You would have to have backup power on the frag pump. Because if the power went out, they would both shut off. Why can't you make a little stand for the frag tank to be slightly above the sump and if it's drilled it would just drain into the sump. this way you'd only need one pump to pump into the main.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would have to have backup power on the frag pump. Because if the power went out, they would both shut off. Why can't you make a little stand for the frag tank to be slightly above the sump and if it's drilled it would just drain into the sump. this way you'd only need one pump to pump into the main.
My sump is so tall (Its above my chest) so if I put the frag tank above it It would literally be over my head. I thought maybe put it below the tank in the stand but I enjoy the stand being almost completely empty (for now). I may have to just make the frag tank isolated but I was hoping to tie it in for stability and ease of moving coral/fish around

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your frag tank high enough so that it can gravity drain back into your sump. You will never be able to match the flow of two pumps exactly over time, no matter what someone may say. Using switches could work but could also fail.
Gravity drain is the safest way.
The whole problem is my sump is not drillable. If it was I could make so many different ideas work. Ill have to reconfigure my plans.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • My coral

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back