I made an oops…

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last couple days I noticed my tank consuming more alk and calcium. Chalked it up to a pH increase due to changing my CO2 scrubber and corals which have been exploding lately. So I just tuned my dose up to compensate - no big deal with my apex I can just do that remotely without going downstairs to the pump itself.

Well, this evening I went downstairs to dose some trace elements and there is a mountain of white precipitate streaming down the side of my sump on the inside. It seems my 2-part dosing lines got crossed or possible just one of the 2-parts was streaming down the side every time the pump ran. So it has built up over time with droplets, almost like stalagmite in a cave!

I’ve adjusted the lines, but now I’m not sure what to do about this giant mound of precipitate stuck to the inside of my sump. I’m afraid if I disturb it, its going to crumble and go into the water, nuking my tank.

I suppose the first unknown to solve is the identity. I run Calcium Chloride and NaOH as my 2-part components - so it could theoretically be pure solid NaOH (lye), calcium chloride, calcium hydroxide, or even just sodium chloride. I’m leaning towards one of the caustic compounds because it seems to have partially melted the acrylic inside of my sump :confounded-face:

I’m thinking the safest option is to shut down the return pump, try to remove the precipitate carefully, then test parameters in the sump water to see if I need to change it or not. Thoughts?

IMG_5519.jpeg

IMG_5521.jpeg
IMG_5522.jpeg

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dude. It's a Saturday night. What else are you gonna do? I know I treat Saturday nights JUST LJKE Tuesday nights. Those days of going to Pioneer Square in Seattle listening to bands for hours on end is looooong gone!!!!

OP
OP
Formulator

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Dude. It's a Saturday night. What else are you gonna do? I know I treat Saturday nights JUST LJKE Tuesday nights. Those days of going to Pioneer Square in Seattle listening to bands for hours on end is looooong gone!!!!
Haha, its not gonna happen tonight. I’ve already had my nightcap… Sounds like a nice Sunday morning activity to me :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back