OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because they need open area. If you did a very minimalist scape with a large amount of open sand they would do fine maybe in a 300 or less but that would take away the area your other fish need.
I see. Thank you so much for your input! do you think I should get a horseshoe crab?

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. Thank you so much for your input! do you think I should get a horseshoe crab?
Not sure but I would guess one of your other inhabitants might eat it. Zebra eels are fish safe but those massive jaws are made for crushing shells.

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure but I would guess one of your other inhabitants might eat it. Zebra eels are fish safe but those massive jaws are made for crushing shells.
I have done some research of my own and I think that it would be safe as long as I got an adult horseshoe crab and a juvenile zebra eel with the eel being well fed

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done some research of my own and I think that it would be safe as long as I got an adult horseshoe crab and a juvenile zebra eel with the eel being well fed
On average a horseshoe crab grows to about 26 inches including the tail with the largest which I believe is 31 or 32 inches, i don't see how you can keep a large horseshoe crab in an aquarium less than 300 or 400 gallons with the width of breadth atleast needing to be 4 feet just so that the crab can move around, I also don't see that being alright in the long term since a zebra moray can in fact grow till 5 feet and i am sure that if the crab gets flipped over by a decoration or by the eel, it is a done game, i infact had a lot of purse crabs in my tank and day by day I would see them disappear I would definitely pin point my zebra for that!

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find an adult horseshoe crab out there legally, but if you find one, let us know - I'd be curious to see how it goes (and to know where you sourced the crab; they're really slow growers).

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't even know that they existed if it wasn't for YouTube Lol, I've never seen them in real!
I think you'll be hard-pressed to find an adult horseshoe crab out there legally, but if you find one, let us know - I'd be curious to see how it goes (and to know where you sourced the crab; they're really slow growers).
[/QUOTED/]

OP
OP
William Chiavetta

William Chiavetta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On average a horseshoe crab grows to about 26 inches including the tail with the largest which I believe is 31 or 32 inches, i don't see how you can keep a large horseshoe crab in an aquarium less than 300 or 400 gallons with the width of breadth atleast needing to be 4 feet just so that the crab can move around, I also don't see that being alright in the long term since a zebra moray can in fact grow till 5 feet and i am sure that if the crab gets flipped over by a decoration or by the eel, it is a done game, i infact had a lot of purse crabs in my tank and day by day I would see them disappear I would definitely pin point my zebra for that!
Tachypleus gigas is the species I would get so they would be perfect

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back