Ich or something else?

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from a couple of days away for work and saw that my White tail tang was a bit shy and stays in his cave. So tried to observe him feeding and saw that he had some discolouration on his body and was hoping g if I could get some help diagnose him. And also treatments I’m unfortunately going away again tomorrow for 5 days at work so having a bit of a headache here….

Trying to take better photos but my phone camera is a bit outdated.

IMG_1500.jpeg IMG_1499.jpeg IMG_1498.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks like ich to me (or mucus cones with ich) - were the fish quarantined? Were they treated. Unfortunately, my recommendation would be copper treatment per protocol for 30 days - and a 2 dose regimen of prazipro 8 days apart. Also unfortunately, since you're leaving - this should done in a hospital tank - with monitoring of levels (copper) and ammonia, etc.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like ich to me (or mucus cones with ich) - were the fish quarantined? Were they treated. Unfortunately, my recommendation would be copper treatment per protocol for 30 days - and a 2 dose regimen of prazipro 8 days apart. Also unfortunately, since you're leaving - this should done in a hospital tank - with monitoring of levels (copper) and ammonia, etc.
Thought it might be :( yeah can’t really put it into hospitalisation atm since I’m leaving for a new trip :/. Just have to put it in to copper when I get home. Had it under observation for 28 days without issue.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought it might be :( yeah can’t really put it into hospitalisation atm since I’m leaving for a new trip :/. Just have to put it in to copper when I get home. Had it under observation for 28 days without issue.
Just Fwiw - I think there would be a fairly significant danger to the tang - as well as any other fish - given the number of spots. Sometimes an LFS can help etc?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there.
When there’s no choice, there’s no choice.
Keep us posted on your return.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just Fwiw - I think there would be a fairly significant danger to the tang - as well as any other fish - given the number of spots. Sometimes an LFS can help etc?
Closest is around 2h drive and I have no possibility to get there today. :/ just have to beg to god that I can fix it when I get home…

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feels really ****. But I just have to hope the other fishes have good enough immune system to survive.
When my Blue Tang got ick I could do nothing. I was ready to lose all my fish.

I was lucky.

Nobody caught it and after 3 weeks, disappeared completely.
Good luck
A prayer for you

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my Blue Tang got ick I could do nothing. I was ready to lose all my fish.

I was lucky.

Nobody caught it and after 3 weeks, disappeared completely.
Good luck
A prayer for you
Yeah I’ll have to hope for the best. Read something about adding ginger to the food so will try it in the automatic feeder… really hoping for a miracle now and make sure I have everything ready for my quarantine when I get home.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to say - if they survive - and the spots go - you may have an 'immune tank'. However, adding new fish may be a problem going forward - but we can talk about that once you're back.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
IMG_1521.jpeg

Best one I could get
I dont see much in the way of cones but rather ich. With this, any other occupants have been exposed to this disease and will require treatment as well using either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update before I leave for work again. The tang was looking really bad this morning and died off before I left so I could take it out to prevent some of the parasites. One of the clowns start to look spotty now as well but the rest of the fishes still look spot free. So I’ll update on everything when I get back from this trip. Best case scenario I have some fishes I can save when I get back. And start a new quarantine and medication for them.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • My coral

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back