If You Had To Choose Only One: Perfect Water Parameters or a Visually Healthy Tank? What’s More Important (To You)?

What is More Important? Perfect Water Parameters or a Visually Healthy Tank?

• Perfect Water Parameters

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • A Visually Healthy Tank

Votes: 70 88.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other (Explain in Comments Please)

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a trick question.

It turns out that lots of problems with tanks seem to have nothing to do with hobbyist measurable parameters. They may relate to many other possible issues, including flow, lighting, microorganisms/pathogens, organics/toxins, organisms irritating each other, parasites, etc. Thus, obviously a healthy visual appearance is important.

But if you have defined and measured parameters correctly, you are not very likely to actually have a visually healthy tank if you are outside of the truly acceptable range.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a trick question.

It turns out that lots of problems with tanks seem to have nothing to do with hobbyist measurable parameters. They may relate to many other possible issues, including flow, lighting, microorganisms/pathogens, organics/toxins, organisms irritating each other, parasites, etc. Thus, obviously a healthy visual appearance is important.

But if you have defined and measured parameters correctly, you are not very likely to actually have a visually healthy tank if you are outside of the truly acceptable range.
When viewed from the lens of marine science, it does seem like a trick question. But this is a question about human nature and opinion. For instance, when a Reefer has an icp test come back that says some parameters are out of whack, are they the type to chase those numbers, or do they let the tank be their guide and wait it out?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if an icp test said you have issues, but the tank looks good? Do you chase those parameters or shrug it off?
I’ll never spend money on a icp test so I guess….
Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Never had those when I started and I don’t feel I need them today..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When viewed from the lens of marine science, it does seem like a trick question. But this is a question about human nature and opinion. For instance, when a Reefer has an icp test come back that says some parameters are out of whack, are they the type to chase those numbers, or do they let the tank be their guide and wait it out?

IMO, the issue there is often the setting of targets, and in the tendency for icp companies to say things are “critically high”, for example, with little data to support the issue being critical.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also say the reverse applies. People gawk and gasp at a number like 1.0 ppm phosphate, yet in some tanks corals thrive at this level. It is important to consider the appearance of corals before chasing a number, when that chase could result in casualties due to the instability.
That’s exactly what I was saying. Just because a coral is suffering doesn’t mean it’s because of the parameter. You need visual cues (like parasite bite marks, for example, as well).

The closer you are to the recommended range, the safer it is. It helps to rule out and narrow things down when there is an issue.

That’s why both visual and chemistry cues are important.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll never spend money on a icp test so I guess….
Seth Meyers Whatever GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Never had those when I started and I don’t feel I need them today..
Same here. I never had one, and don’t see a need for my tanks. But I think it’s becoming more of side hobby within the hobby. Though I know some Reefers use it because they don’t do water changes, and it might be necessary for them. I just wonder how far down the rabbit hole they go versus letting the tank tell them something’s up.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, the issue there is often the setting of targets, and in the tendency for icp companies to say things are “critically high”, for example, with little data to support the issue being critical.
Absolutely. That is part of what prompted this discussion. Someone or something telling us we have a problem, versus visual cues. I know that this requires experienced Reefers familiar with their systems to answer, but I was curious if people are blindly following suggested values, or actually paying attention to their tank.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience a tank will tell you when the parameters are not ideal. If my tank looks good I don't mess with it. If it looks bad i do a water change, clean some equipment, change feeding habits, etc. I have not tested my tank for anything besides salinity in years.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. I never had one, and don’t see a need for my tanks. But I think it’s becoming more of side hobby within the hobby. Though I know some Reefers use it because they don’t do water changes, and it might be necessary for them. I just wonder how far down the rabbit hole they go versus letting the tank tell them something’s up.
That’s because nowadays we have biome keepers and reef keepers who don’t wanna follow the basics! .. I was gone for such a long time the word biome wasn’t even related to reefs and nobody could test for it! I think today with all the issues people have they these testing companies came about to take advantage of it and give people some sorta peace of mind to have something to blame besides them selves for not keeping and following the basics of reef keeping! that’s what got us to where we are today! And I know icp is different than aquabiomics but they all go hand in hand! I’ve said it a million times reefing is only as hard as you make it! Good lighting, good flow, change your water, skimmer, live rock and test the big 3 it works! Everything else is just a head ache any more lol..

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s because nowadays we have biome keepers and reef keepers who don’t wanna follow the basics! .. I was gone for such a long time the word biome wasn’t even related to reefs and nobody could test for it! I think today with all the issues people have they these testing companies came about to take advantage of it and give people some sorta peace of mind to have something to blame besides them selves for not keeping and following the basics of reef keeping! that’s what got us to where we are today! And I know icp is different than aquabiomics but they all go hand in hand! I’ve said it a million times reefing is only as hard as you make it! Good lighting, good flow, change your water, skimmer, live rock and test the big 3 it works! Everything else is just a head ache any more lol..
Absolutely! Reefing is only as hard as we make it. I wonder if some Reefers put themselves through all that anguish because they simply can’t sit still and have to fidget with something. Not judging, but just not my style.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Exactly, reef keeping has gone backwards for the causal hobbyist. I feel bad for new people in the hobby who think they need all these gadgets and gizmos to have a successful tank. I would venture to say that the average, beginner hobbyist had a lot more success in 2008 than they do now. This hobby really does need to get back to the basics!

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In theory if you have perfect water quality you should have a visualy healthy display. The problem is what each person considers perfect water quality may not actually be perfect water quality for the coral. If I have perfect water parameters and my coral is not visually healthy I have an issue with something else. If nothing else it eliminates some of the possible issues. I had a tank that looked great visually and then all of a sudden everything started crashing. All of my basic parameters were perfect. I sent in an ICP TEST and it showed my refugium had depleted the, lithium, manganese, and iodine. Everything looked great, but it crashed in a couple weeks. Ignoring an issues will not make it better. It will just get worse until it's a big enough problem you can't ignore it. I don't chase numbers but I don't ignore a parameter when it starts getting out of range either.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent in an ICP TEST and it showed my refugium had depleted the, lithium, manganese, and iodine. Everything looked great, but it crashed in a couple weeks.
Did the tank recover after you adjusted those parameters?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test and keep parameters in check. I know my tanks and I know that if I test and something is way off (enough to be concerned) I first question the test. That being said, a tank can look healthy for a while with parameters being off. We don't see the results and damage sometimes until it's to late and the coral turns and dies. I will always take parameters over looking at my animals. I do 25% water changes every two weeks. So far I have not had to worry about trace elements, those get taken care of with water changes.

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The difficulty of blindly following target parameters is that ideal numbers are a function of light intensity, flow and each other. The simplest example of this are the ULN systems, where the ideal alk is much lower. So parameters that work well for one system may not be the ideal for another.

IMO stability is much more important when it comes to what makes a tank healthy. And one actual drawback of all these YouTube reefing channels etc. is that they generate the false impression that every problem can be solved by dosing a magic elixir.

Reefvision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the guy who had a nice looking tank and growing healthy corals and sent in a icp that stated low on a number of elements. Went and dosed the elements and saw a very sad result of numerous corals perishing sadly as many were grown from small frags and were a couple years old. No more icp tests for me!! Water changes only.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back