Inventions you’ve made for your Reef

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read this on a phone, it doesn't show up. It's on Amazon. "The Avant-Garde Marine Aquarist" and 100 % of the profits go to MS research
Looks like I am buying this today. Thank you for your contribution to research, especially for MS.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like I am buying this today. Thank you for your contribution to research, especially for MS.
Everyone should buy it. Not only because it helps MS research but because Paul’s experience and methods span decades of reefkeeping and there is no other text like it.

Fungusamongus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone should buy it. Not only because it helps MS research but because Paul’s experience and methods span decades of reefkeeping and there is no other text like it.
I cannot wait. I have read many of PaulBs threads and his experience is amazing, as well as yours. Already purchased the book.
MS has a special place in my heart. I helped develop several of the currently available biologic and small molecule therapies for MS, and other autoimmune disorders.

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot wait. I have read many of PaulBs threads and his experience is amazing, as well as yours. Already purchased the book.
MS has a special place in my heart. I helped develop several of the currently available biologic and small molecule therapies for MS, and other autoimmune disorders.
Yep my sister had MS and it slowly took her life bit by bit so anyone doing research and charity work for Ms is doing good in my book

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "invention" is simple and dumb but solves a problem.

I like to feed my very spoiled fish several times per day. Some of my very spoiled fish just look at me with sadness and disappointment if I try to make them eat pellet or flake food-like it is some sort of punishment or cruel joke.

I cut the bottom off a plastic water bottle, and inverted it with the open spout feeding into my return pump intake in my sump. I then inserted into the top (above the sump water line) a plastic cup with a large hole cut in the side and tiny holes in the bottom. Before I leave for work, I add frozen food-mysis, Rod's, etc, to the cup. It thaws slowly since it is just sitting in an empty cup above the water line. A few hours later, when it is feeding time, a pump adds enough water to the cup to flush some of the food into the return pump intake, and the excess water drains out the small holes. An hour later, the pump runs again for a little more food. Than an hour later the pump runs for a couple minutes to completely flush the food chamber clean. When I get home from work, I add more food and the cycle repeats. So I can add food just twice a day, and my very spoiled fish get six feedings spread throughout the day.

Previously I was just running a very long photo period so I could feed before and after work, but I think that was contributing to chronic algae problems.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My "invention" is simple and dumb but solves a problem.

I like to feed my very spoiled fish several times per day. Some of my very spoiled fish just look at me with sadness and disappointment if I try to make them eat pellet or flake food-like it is some sort of punishment or cruel joke.

I cut the bottom off a plastic water bottle, and inverted it with the open spout feeding into my return pump intake in my sump. I then inserted into the top (above the sump water line) a plastic cup with a large hole cut in the side and tiny holes in the bottom. Before I leave for work, I add frozen food-mysis, Rod's, etc, to the cup. It thaws slowly since it is just sitting in an empty cup above the water line. A few hours later, when it is feeding time, a pump adds enough water to the cup to flush some of the food into the return pump intake, and the excess water drains out the small holes. An hour later, the pump runs again for a little more food. Than an hour later the pump runs for a couple minutes to completely flush the food chamber clean. When I get home from work, I add more food and the cycle repeats. So I can add food just twice a day, and my very spoiled fish get six feedings spread throughout the day.

Previously I was just running a very long photo period so I could feed before and after work, but I think that was contributing to chronic algae problems.
As simple as it is, I think this is brilliant, and I plan to make one!

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is not so much of an invention but an idea.
Rather than using a turkey baster to blow off your rocks/sand, I attached a vinyl hose to the water return nozzle, and restrict the other end for a venturi flow(?) to clean my rocks sand

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As simple as it is, I think this is brilliant, and I plan to make one!
I used "wire shelving S hooks" to hang the bottle from the dividers in my sump. I attached a PVC T to my pump intake so I could have a separate feed inlet without restricting flow.

1717265666936.png

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used "wire shelving S hooks" to hang the bottle from the dividers in my sump. I attached a PVC T to my pump intake so I could have a separate feed inlet without restricting flow.

1717265666936.png
Very good

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot, I also built most of my rock. And bottles.

Reef structure support.

7 day vacation baby brine shrimp hatchery and automatic feeder

The most important thing. This "meat grinder" turns old tools and other metal and paper into money and gold. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef structure support.

The most important thing. This "meat grinder" turns old tools and other metal and paper into money and gold. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Look great paulB
Ii am thinking of building some bee hives because if you buy them they are too much so I will have to order some wood looking at making six or Twelve but if I make the first one then ii will s just duplicate the rest I now this is a bit off topic
attack bee GIF by CBC

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost everything in my tank I invented.

Diatom filters

Reverse UG filter manifold

Injectors for aiptasia

Algae scrubber

Sulphur denitrator

Another injector

Rotating algae scrubber

Evaporitive chiller

Skimmer

Mandarin feeder

Water cooled LEDs

Mojano wand, brine shrimp hatchery and many, many more.

Where did you get those glass pre-filled syringes with staked in needles? I have them on the shelf at work… wondering if you’re in the same industry

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has MS and she injects herself with a drug for it, so I keep some of the needles.

Paul’s experience and methods span decades of reefkeeping and there is no other text like it.
Your still not getting a copper fish. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Nano_Man

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef structure support.

Can u explain how your brine shrimp hatchery and auto feeder work @Paul B please

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife has MS and she injects herself with a drug for it, so I keep some of the needles.

Your still not getting a copper fish. :rolleyes:

A man can only dream I guess

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef structure support.

Wow I never knew you built some of your scape like that!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back