Is Clown About to Spawn or Sick?

justdeb1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite having a perfectly beautiful BTA, my black storm clowns host the wall of my overflow. Today I noticed one of them is staying on the wall, even when I fed the tank. Normally, they are the first piggies at the trough. Is the pair about to spawn, or is my clown sick somehow? Everything in my tank is in great shape. No new additions of fish. Every coral has its polyps fully extended. I'm probably worried for no reason, but would love some insight if you have experience with clownfish.

Water parameters:
pH: 7.93
Nitrates: 8.1
Calcium: 449
Alk: 8.79
SG: 1.026
Temp: 77.7
PO4: .13
Mag: 1369

IMG_7900.jpeg IMG_7904.jpeg

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably about to spawn if it is the male (smaller of the two). My male almost never leaves the nest under a rock overhang where they lay the eggs. He will only grab food that comes to him.

OP
OP
justdeb1107

justdeb1107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably about to spawn if it is the male (smaller of the two). My male almost never leaves the nest under a rock overhang where they lay the eggs. He will only grab food that comes to him.
Okay, good to know. I do believe it's the male, though there isn't a huge size difference between the two. I have had them since February.

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, good to know. I do believe it's the male, though there isn't a huge size difference between the two. I have had them since February.
Hopefully this isn’t premature, but congratulations! Sounds like you are going to be a proud grandparent soon ;)

Back