is my aquarium cycled

newhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 fluvale evo have had for about 6 weeks two clowns in for a month paramaters are

nitrate 0
ammonia .25
nitrate 0
ph 7.8

added snails due to algea 3 last week and 5 more today. Is my tank cycled? should I add ph plus or anything?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using...guessing api? If you have algae growing it should be cycled. That .25 ammonia is probably false also should not be anything to worry about. The 0 nitrate should be showing more but again guessing api might be mistest or the algae is using it. Are you planning on corals? if so need to check calcium and alkalinity. Dont add ph up. Dont chase ph. 7.8 is fine not optimal but fine. Once you know calcium and alk post those numbers and we can talk more.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO, do not try to adjust pH it is fine. Suggest you read this thread to see how chasing parameter numbers can ruin your day.

Good luck. :cool:

OP
OP
N

newhere

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using...guessing api? If you have algae growing it should be cycled. That .25 ammonia is probably false also should not be anything to worry about. The 0 nitrate should be showing more but again guessing api might be mistest or the algae is using it. Are you planning on corals? if so need to check calcium and alkalinity. Dont add ph up. Dont chase ph. 7.8 is fine not optimal but fine. Once you know calcium and alk post those numbers and we can talk more.
yeah im using api i have hanna but its just alot of work sometimnes lol yes i have a torch in there. should I be feeding it?? It looks healthy

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah im using api i have hanna but its just alot of work sometimnes lol yes i have a torch in there. should I be feeding it?? It looks healthy
My torches don't eat very much. Once a week I feed them flake soaked in restore. Other than that they may catch a few morsels when I feed the fish (2 times a day). Check that alk and calcium.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the torch, you need some nitrate and also you need a quality test kit

WaterWerks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a better test kit.
Salifert has been very close to my suppliers test every week.
Little more time to do the test but seems to be pretty on the money so far.
If you don’t have nitrates and you still have ammonia. The tank is not done cycling. Ammonia should be near undetectable in most cases.

Just experiences that I have had. 10 year fish tank owner and 6 months of reefing

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back