Is the reefing community cooling down?

StevePhx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been keeping reef tanks since the late '80s and got really into in the '90s.

As has been said many times, Covid was the big reason.

Aside from that I think there are few other issues affecting the hobby.

1. The internet, people don't need to meet in person to share ideas or see other tanks.
2. Greed, way too many hobbyist want to be the next WWC. Just because you have a frag tank, doesn't mean you should be selling, let alone at retail prices.
3. The "keeping up with the Jones" syndrome or as Ryan calls it, Good is the enemy of great. Too many reef believe if you don't have a full blown SPS system full of ridiculous names frags you don't have reef cred. If you don't have a decked out controller cabinet with leds and matching lighting, you aren't a real reefer.

We need to get back to the days of a few fluorescent bulbs, a hand full of LR and some softie frags given to you by friends is considered a great reef.

DylanE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others have said, it’s been up and down. I started in the early 00’s, and I don’t remember nearly as much online presence as there is now. I didn’t know a single other person who kept tanks. I think the introduction of AIO systems and the technology that’s now available made it generally much more accessible for people. Covid just messed up everything, all hobbies included. It may be cooling off compared to then, but it still seems busier than the “before time”.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started reefing January 17, 2022. I did a lot of research before finally making my purchase as I had to convince my parents why it was a good idea to blow 2k+ on a reef aquarium. I had no idea that it even surged in Covid. I will say, I remember making a couple of mistakes out of lack of patience. I am fixing one of those this October wish a fallow period in my tank to kill Ich.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as we are all sitting around the campfire. Many moons ago in the early 80s specimen corals were highly valued. The difference is they were traded. No money changed hands and there was no shipping. Granted this had geographical challenges. The community of local reefers got to know one another personally. There was pride in growing acros. It wasn't about the money. Can we come up with a partial solution? It would be nice.
Let’s do it! I think the way to start is by creating a swap group over here or something. I wish that existed, it would make this hobby way more enjoyable. I’m currently filling up a new tank and my friend gave me a couple acro colonies and it’s way more of a pleasure having reefing friends than feeling like everything in this hobby wants your money.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Happiness" is very subjective -- I just compete with the guy in the mirror (me). Trying to catch up with the Joneses is a losing battle.
I just know that there's two things in life so many people want, and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole. One is to be famous, the other is to own a super car. I'm in the auto industry and know they are way more trouble than they're worth,

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as we are all sitting around the campfire. Many moons ago in the early 80s specimen corals were highly valued. The difference is they were traded. No money changed hands and there was no shipping. Granted this had geographical challenges. The community of local reefers got to know one another personally. There was pride in growing acros. It wasn't about the money. Can we come up with a partial solution? It would be nice.
I rather trade corals than buying/selling tbh. However, I don't mind paying for something that my reefer friend has been growing for years -- I'm just buying time!

+1 on local community/reefers - I've met a few cool folks over the years, just to share success stories (and a few shortcomings) with the hobby! I think that it's more important than making a few bucks.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rather trade corals than buying/selling tbh. However, I don't mind paying for something that my reefer friend has been growing for years -- I'm just buying time!

+1 on local community/reefers - I've met a few cool folks over the years, just to share success stories (and a few shortcomings) with the hobby! I think that it's more important than making a few bucks.
On that note I have a big OG willow that I plan of fragging soon. Would love to trade a frag for some acros :)

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s do it! I think the way to start is by creating a swap group over here or something. I wish that existed, it would make this hobby way more enjoyable. I’m currently filling up a new tank and my friend gave me a couple acro colonies and it’s way more of a pleasure having reefing friends than feeling like everything in this hobby wants your money.
I have to think about it a bit because there are some obvious obstacles.
There is a great deal involved with putting this together at scale unless you want to make it an invite only membership. There are a host of other issues. Personally, I will not be in a position to have anything i would even consider fragging for at least a year. My tank isnt even delivered yet:) I would however be interested in assisting in setting this up if enough people are interested.

Why don't you try to get folks interested. First you have to figure out what who.

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderful project the 'coral exchange' would be. Image members specialize in a specific coral. One person or group of people do a portion of SPS and others do LPS and I guess softies.

cillam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cost of living is way more now days, keeping tanks is extra monthly (unnecessary) cost
I agree, i would love to be able to buy new frags every week, but that has turned into every month sometimes every 2 months, depending on the time of year (Christmas, Birthdays, back to school, etc.).

My reef hobby is at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to expenses, so long as i have the stuff i need to maintain the tank (AFR, salt, fish food)

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note I have a big OG willow that I plan of fragging soon. Would love to trade a frag for some acros :)
Come on down -- will give you a few pieces but not sure that the Willow will survive in my new tank! ;)

Like this thread -- people's interests changed over time. For me, I've lost interest in softies and chalices - I'm just into SPS, anemones, and torches...

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a wonderful project the 'coral exchange' would be. Image members specialize in a specific coral. One person or group of people do a portion of SPS and others do LPS and I guess softies.
I'll offer frags for beers! Will this work? ;)

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
interest rates are coming down which is fantastic for the economy. Inflation is down to 2.5% and winter is coming. There will be no shortage of hobbyists in my opinion. We have achieved a soft landing

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just know that there's two things in life so many people want, and I wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft pole. One is to be famous, the other is to own a super car. I'm in the auto industry and know they are way more trouble than they're worth,
i would never want to be famous.

I do like nice cars though but can’t afford one.

If i could live a dream it would be to fix up my home, have a larger reef, and own a second home in san diego and go whenever I please.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Come on down -- will give you a few pieces but not sure that the Willow will survive in my new tank! ;)

Like this thread -- people's interests changed over time. For me, I've lost interest in softies and chalices - I'm just into SPS, anemones, and torches...
Where you located?

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back