Votes: 7 87.5%

• Total voters

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers???? Why? They are a pain in the ….. neck! Do very little for the cost and maintenance. I’ve had my setup for years without a skimmer and doing just fine!
I would not say that they "do very little for the cost and maintenance".

There are numerous ways to sustain a healthy captive reef, all of them require a long term strategy for waste export or sequestration (which eventually requires export). A skimmer is one of the viable tools for export.

Each export method has pros and cons (and costs and maintenance) associated. I personally prefer to deal with the skimmer vs other media reactors and mechanical filters. Likewise, maintaining a refugium and/or ATS were loathsome tasks for me.

CKW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not say that they "do very little for the cost and maintenance".

There are numerous ways to sustain a healthy captive reef, all of them require a long term strategy for waste export or sequestration (which eventually requires export). A skimmer is one of the viable tools for export.

Each export method has pros and cons (and costs and maintenance) associated. I personally prefer to deal with the skimmer vs other media reactors and mechanical filters. Likewise, maintaining a refugium and/or ATS were loathsome tasks for me.
Wel, I’ll concede that you have a valid point or two. Having said that I often think we have made the hobby into a scientific trap. Focusing on gadgets and chemicals and overthinking. Often forgetting the beauty of nature in the process.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back