OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just UV sweeped the dinos on my sandbed and turned on my inline UV to run 24/7. Added some microlife special blend bacteria afterwards (Holy crap, this bacteria stinks like something died and left to rot!). Hit it with the 1-2 punch!

That was satisfying to take the UV to the dinos directly. It was awesome!

Start - Before UV:
IMG_9847.jpeg
IMG_9850.jpeg

Day 1 Finish:
IMG_9851.jpeg

Sorry, the light transitioned more blue as I was zapping the dinos. But it's fantastic, and exactly what I expected because I always think that UV is the key to fighting dinos.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just UV sweeped the dinos on my sandbed and turned on my inline UV to run 24/7. Added some microlife special blend bacteria afterwards (Holy crap, this bacteria stinks like something died and left to rot!). Hit it with the 1-2 punch!

That was satisfying to take the UV to the dinos directly. It was awesome!

Start - Before UV:
IMG_9847.jpeg
IMG_9850.jpeg

Day 1 Finish:
IMG_9851.jpeg

Sorry, the light transitioned more blue as I was zapping the dinos. But it's fantastic, and exactly what I expected because I always think that UV is the key to fighting dinos.
Wow, that works amazing! Thanks for sharing a before and after photo!

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that works amazing! Thanks for sharing a before and after photo!
No problem. I'll do a few more rounds of treatment, and see if it stays away. I know that UV is effective because it works with Ostreopsis dinos when it goes into the water column. So this should work because we are just bringing the UV to the sand, and killing dinos if they don't go into water column. Just have to be careful with the livestock/CUC.

It is already much less than before, but you can see dino trying to make a small comeback.

Day 2 (before UV zapping)::
IMG_9856.jpeg
IMG_9857.jpeg
IMG_9859.jpeg

After zapping:
IMG_9861.jpeg

IMG_9862.jpeg
IMG_9864.jpeg

Followed up with more microlife special blend bacteria dosing. I used a turkey baster to squirt it directly into the sand. I have to do this while the kids/wife is away because this bacteria smells so bad.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has ich. If I have to guess, my money is on the gem tang rescue because that's the only fish that was added recently. And it was supposedly QT'ed by previous owner, but I'm guessing it was not. So all my efforts and money spent on getting QT'ed fishes is a complete bust now.

My plan is to setup a QT tank, and perform copper treatment. But my biggest headache is to catch all of the fish which is a big problem with all the rocks and corals in the DT. I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

But first, I need to set up a QT, and get all of the supplies.

I'm going to put the fish trap with food in in the DT to see of this will work. I don't think it will, at least not for the smaller fishes like mandarin goby.

What a headache.

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has ich. If I have to guess, my money is on the gem tang rescue because that's the only fish that was added recently. And it was supposedly QT'ed by previous owner, but I'm guessing it was not. So all my efforts and money spent on getting QT'ed fishes is a complete bust now.

My plan is to setup a QT tank, and perform copper treatment. But my biggest headache is to catch all of the fish which is a big problem with all the rocks and corals in the DT. I'm not exactly sure how to do it.

But first, I need to set up a QT, and get all of the supplies.

I'm going to put the fish trap with food in in the DT to see of this will work. I don't think it will, at least not for the smaller fishes like mandarin goby.

What a headache.
Sorry Jimmy! I worry about the same thing, as I don't QT frags. With my tank being all wrasses right now, possible they are carrying a disease that came in on a frag that I won't know about until I get a susceptible fish :-(

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the moral support. I need a stiff drink, TGIF.

I was really bummed yesterday. And a bit overwhelmed for what to do next. There are a few options.

1) I just live with ich management
2) I reset my tank and get all the fish out/fallow the DT

So I guess I will be a doing a little of both. For now, I will live with it. In the meantime, I'm going to put together a QT tank and get it cycled. I'll have to figure out how to catch all the fish later, but I'll cross the bridge when I get there.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the moral support. I need a stiff drink, TGIF.

I was really bummed yesterday. And a bit overwhelmed for what to do next. There are a few options.

1) I just live with ich management
2) I reset my tank and get all the fish out/fallow the DT

So I guess I will be a doing a little of both. For now, I will live with it. In the meantime, I'm going to put together a QT tank and get it cycled. I'll have to figure out how to catch all the fish later, but I'll cross the bridge when I get there.
Jimbo hang tough. I would wait it out unless things get worse

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly putting together a QT in the garage.
  • I'm filling the QT with some of my DT water, so it can have some bacteria and hopefully cycle faster. And basically do a water change at the same time.
  • I have some other QT items (Copper Power, Seachem ammonia badge, etc.) coming from BRS this Friday.
  • For QT, I prefer a mechanical float valve. It's cheap and works well. I was surprised that BRS doesn't carry a mechanical float valve for ATO. Got one from here. Just have to put the ATO water higher than the QT.
  • Found an old heater and powerhead in my shed and threw it in.
  • Found some PVC elbows in the parts bucket and threw it in.
After the water change, when I tried to power on the Ecotech M1 return pump on the DT, it doesn't work and I've traced it to a dead power supply. Stupid how flimsy all of these electronics are. Of course Ecotech wanted $90 for a replacement, and of course I got an equivalent one from Amazon (link) for $20. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Thankfully, I have some redundancy built into my system, I had 2 return pumps on my DT, so I can run the L1 solo until the M1 power supply gets here on Friday. Reefing ain't easy.

Last edited:

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the QT club buddy -- we can learn together! lol Seriously, sorry you're going thru this. I'm glad that it's "just" ich and not velvet. I originally thought mine was ich on the Hippo but quickly turned into a velvet outbreak and didn't have enough time to respond.

Good luck with your treatment!

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the QT club buddy -- we can learn together! lol Seriously, sorry you're going thru this. I'm glad that it's "just" ich and not velvet. I originally thought mine was ich on the Hippo but quickly turned into a velvet outbreak and didn't have enough time to respond.

Good luck with your treatment!
Good luck to both of us. The ich is mostly gone from my fish, but I just hate having to manage it. I’m very fortunate it is just ich and not velvet/brook. But I still have headache of trying to catch all of the fishes by myself, so you are way ahead of me.

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have massive green hair algae bloom all over my tank. Especially the right side of my tank. I’m pulling out a cup of hair algae easily, and hard to keep up with the growth. I checked nutrients and it’s not bad…7 nitrate and 0.06 phosphates. I’m usually in the office during the weekdays morning, but this weekend, I was at home and finally able to figure out why my algae is growing so much.

The season is changing, and the sunlight is coming into my windows at a different angle. It is hitting directly my tank for a few hours. This is reason the algae is growing like weeds. Growing so much, some are suffocating my corals. I will need to figure out a solution. I can’t black out the windows since this is my living room. I ordered some privacy window film and will try that out.
IMG_9978.jpeg

OP
OP
Jimbo327

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slowly putting together a QT in the garage.
  • I'm filling the QT with some of my DT water, so it can have some bacteria and hopefully cycle faster. And basically do a water change at the same time.
  • I have some other QT items (Copper Power, Seachem ammonia badge, etc.) coming from BRS this Friday.
  • For QT, I prefer a mechanical float valve. It's cheap and works well. I was surprised that BRS doesn't carry a mechanical float valve for ATO. Got one from here. Just have to put the ATO water higher than the QT.
  • Found an old heater and powerhead in my shed and threw it in.
  • Found some PVC elbows in the parts bucket and threw it in.
After the water change, when I tried to power on the Ecotech M1 return pump on the DT, it doesn't work and I've traced it to a dead power supply. Stupid how flimsy all of these electronics are. Of course Ecotech wanted $90 for a replacement, and of course I got an equivalent one from Amazon (link) for $20. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

Thankfully, I have some redundancy built into my system, I had 2 return pumps on my DT, so I can run the L1 solo until the M1 power supply gets here on Friday. Reefing ain't easy.
The $20 power supply was installed and the M1 return pump is back online.

Went to the local coral show (CFM) this weekend, and got there late & missed the raffle. There were a lot of vendors, but not a lot of customers. Perhaps everyone left after the raffles, who knows. I waited until the show was almost over and picked up a couple corals for good price. I got a nice chunky frag of pastel rainbow acan echinata, a pink center yuma ricordia, and a tiny frag of Lighthouse banana lokani. I dipped and dropped it into the tank...will mount and take photos later.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUY OR DIY! WHICH DO YOU PREFER? SHARE YOUR DIY PROJECTS IN THE THREAD!

• I prefer to buy!

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • I prefer to DIY!

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • It depends on the project or equipment I need!

Votes: 54 60.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back