Leopard Wrasse feeding opinions

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Background:

I recently acquired a female leopard wrasse from my trusted lfs. I have researched and talked with people who work at my lfs who keep them. I trust a few of them in there and have and will tell me to stay away from certain fish that doesn’t bode well for my set up. I have cultured my own copepods for past year 1/2 as well as phyto and dose my 6’ tank every 3 weeks w pods. I killed the wave makers and flashlight my rocks at late night and see what looks like a termite and nest crawling over ALL my live rock and have close to 120 lbs in display and another 15 lbs scattered in 39 gallon sump with active 8 gallon refugium w chaeto.

Care plan concerns:
Feeding. As of now I have a pretty full stocked tank with total including wrasse - 13 fish. I feed very heavy. I rotate between 1 fresh whole oyster chopped up or cube mysis or krill. My wrasse is always on the prowl pecking like a chicken but he continues to pace through with more interest when I fed the oyster he picked a couple times. I would also like to trying to get them over to pellets as I just order a neptunes afs to add to my apex for vacations. My strategy is to keep feeding the tank like I do and he can continue pecking on the organisms in the tank and hope he begins to try the other feed options I put in while continue to dose copepods. Thoughts ?

Jumping. I don’t currently have a lid. Just the inner lip of a rimmed tank. I plan to temporarily use egg crate that is cut out to sit on lip until I can buy a permanent option.
No aggressive inner agitation risk with my stock for it to be chased. Also I have had wrasse in the past that seemed to be fleeting and quick to dart. This new wrasse I just got seems undisturbed even if my hands are in tank. Doesn’t even care when the return pump kicks on and air bubbles blow out.
My strategy is to cover with egg crate tonight and order a custom fit for it later. Thoughts ?

Looking forward to any positive feedback anyone has had with caring for this beautiful creature
Thanks

IMG_6279.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics just to show rock culture for wrasse to swim around and pick on . Sand bed is roughly 5” in some places and avg of 3” mix of finer sand w 140 lbs of Carib sea pink and special grade.

Attachments

• IMG_6287.png
    IMG_6287.png
    750.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6286.png
    IMG_6286.png
    769.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6285.png
    IMG_6285.png
    765 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6283.png
    IMG_6283.png
    831.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6282.png
    IMG_6282.png
    832.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6281.png
    IMG_6281.png
    799.7 KB · Views: 9

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank seem to be great for the Meleagris Leopard. Once acclimated they will eat everything especially pellets, but initially having a healthy pod population lelp a lot in transition them to captivity food. If you can keep a harem of them is extreemly rewarding.
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_1203.jpeg

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see why people really love this fish. Such a cool way it prowls the tank almost like it is bobbing through tank like a horse.
I always like to see the fishes personality and behavior and this fish seems aware and very chill. I hope this is a good sign she approves of her new home.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank seem to be great for the Meleagris Leopard. Once acclimated they will eat everything especially pellets, but initially having a healthy pod population lelp a lot in transition them to captivity food. If you can keep a harem of them is extreemly rewarding.
IMG_1204.jpeg
IMG_1203.jpeg
Tank and the fish look beautiful. I guess I was hesitant because the tank has only been running since April. I cycled my aquascape in a heated w fish and light brute can for almost 8 months prior to putting in tank in April of this year. The tank seems to have stabilized and is growing a pretty diverse microfauna so I know there is alot for her to feast on. I will just go slow and hope she begins to dig the pellets that fall off the sandbed or rocks.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE: my leopard wrasse has started eating frozen mysis and enriched brine shrimp. He still continues to hunt and peck on rocks all day. When I feed the rest he now shoots in the middle and starts chasing and eating food. I had the same experience with my anthias and my flame angel. They did not eat for several days but once they did they were voracious eaters and went after the food I fed. Very happy to get this girl at least supplementing his natural diet with the frozen food and looking fwd to watching her grow.

Back