LFS said ready for fish?

PotatoPig

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still wait for the nitrites to go away?
Don’t test nitrates until nitrites are gone.

The nitrites mess with the nitrate test and cause it to show false and very high values. The nitrate test doesn’t really mean anything until your nitrites are being effectively processed.

Are you still adding ammonia or are you just letting the ammonia you added get consumed?

OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t test nitrates until nitrites are gone.

The nitrites mess with the nitrate test and cause it to show false and very high values. The nitrate test doesn’t really mean anything until your nitrites are being effectively processed.

Are you still adding ammonia or are you just letting the ammonia you added get consumed?
I haven’t added anything to the tank since the initial ammonia dose. (And now the bit of bacteria)

OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think? nitrites have gone up a bit from the previous pictures. I really might just be losing my mind by now though.

Attachments

• IMG_3923.jpeg
    IMG_3923.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you done any water changes or added water since adding the ammonia source? Also, what did you dose the ammonia up to?
I have added RO water to keep the water level where it’s needed to be.

I know about a week ago copepods were sent to me prematurely from algaebarn and they were supposed to hold the order, but didn’t. I added those to the tank as I originally thought it was cycled.

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added RO water to keep the water level where it’s needed to be.

I know about a week ago copepods were sent to me prematurely from algaebarn and they were supposed to hold the order, but didn’t. I added those to the tank as I originally thought it was cycled.
I would test the source water for ammonia.

As for the copepods, they could’ve all died and created an ammonia spike but imo I would think this would only happen if you added a ton of them. I also think the tank should be able to cycle the ammonia that they could’ve created if they died at this point, but I wouldn’t rule it out of the equation 100%.

IMO I would lean towards either the source water has ammonia, or it is a test kit error. I find it extremely hard to believe you still have ammonia after 3 weeks while adding bacteria.
If you’re able to, report back on source water test!

OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test the source water for ammonia.

As for the copepods, they could’ve all died and created an ammonia spike but imo I would think this would only happen if you added a ton of them. I also think the tank should be able to cycle the ammonia that they could’ve created if they died at this point, but I wouldn’t rule it out of the equation 100%.

IMO I would lean towards either the source water has ammonia, or it is a test kit error. I find it extremely hard to believe you still have ammonia after 3 weeks while adding bacteria.
If you’re able to, report back on source water test!
I’m assuming I could test the RO water with the salifert kits, and this was the result. Looks clear to me. I used a 7 stage filter from BRS and reads at 0 TDS when coming out.
IMG_3943.jpeg

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m assuming I could test the RO water with the salifert kits, and this was the result. Looks clear to me. I used a 7 stage filter from BRS and reads at 0 TDS when coming out.
IMG_3943.jpeg
Then I’d go with most of the copepods died and created a small spike. They have no food source. that is the only thing my mind can lead to.

It is a possibility that the bacteria you added is not working, especially if it was exposed to high temp during shipping. Hence the slower cycle.

at this point I would wait for nitrites drop down to 0. if your nitrites are at 4-5ppm (or above) I would do a 50%-75% water change. (50% if at 5, 75% if higher). Reason being anything above 5 can buffer cycle. I had mine stuck there for 2 weeks, did a water change, and 5 days later tank was done cycling.

Once your nitrites are at 0, you can start testing your nitrates and at this point they should be just about done rising, you can either wait for it to drop below 20ppm, or to speed it up you can do a 50%-75% water change.

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me also note I am not a professional this is just based off of my experience :)

I know it sucks and the urge to add fish is there, but if the copepods really was the reason that spiked your ammonia, be glad it was them and not after you added fish :)

OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me also note I am not a professional this is just based off of my experience :)

I know it sucks and the urge to add fish is there, but if the copepods really was the reason that spiked your ammonia, be glad it was them and not after you added fish :)
I appreciate you!

This is my first fishless cycle, so my main concern is more that I did or doing something wrong. I’m in no rush to add anything, just kind of lost in the process :).

Also first time not using live rock and sand, so all the way around unfamiliar territory.

I have the new bottle of bacteria as I also thought maybe I got a bad batch before. Should I continue to dose it each day, or just let everything sit? Don’t know if continuing to add will hurt more than help.

I continue to test and hope for the best!

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you!

This is my first fishless cycle, so my main concern is more that I did or doing something wrong. I’m in no rush to add anything, just kind of lost in the process :).

Also first time not using live rock and sand, so all the way around unfamiliar territory.

I have the new bottle of bacteria as I also thought maybe I got a bad batch before. Should I continue to dose it each day, or just let everything sit? Don’t know if continuing to add will hurt more than help.

I continue to test and hope for the best!
I’ve never done a cycle with live rock or sand, so I can’t speak to time difference but I assume it’s probably way quicker.

I’ve done 6 cycles. 2 being fish in, 1 with just fish food (no bacteria) 2 with fish food and bacteria, and currently for the 100gal I’m trying out ammonium chloride and bacteria.

Out of those, I have never had one take more than 3 weeks so I’d imagine you’re just about there!

dosing bacteria definitely will not hurt, so continue adding as usual!

OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never done a cycle with live rock or sand, so I can’t speak to time difference but I assume it’s probably way quicker.

I’ve done 6 cycles. 2 being fish in, 1 with just fish food (no bacteria) 2 with fish food and bacteria, and currently for the 100gal I’m trying out ammonium chloride and bacteria.

Out of those, I have never had one take more than 3 weeks so I’d imagine you’re just about there!

dosing bacteria definitely will not hurt, so continue adding as usual!
Well my luck is never good, so I figured I would be different than everyone else’s experiences with fishless cycle :).

I’ll keep adding some bacteria each day and continue to test. Fingers crossed for some movement soon!

OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like there’s some movement finally!

Came home and the water is all cloudy which I’m assuming is another bacteria bloom.

Did my tests just to see and colors are way different than yesterday. I did both tests but easier to see on the API.

Fingers crossed!

IMG_3955.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3956.jpeg
    IMG_3956.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 5

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well looks like there’s some movement finally!

Came home and the water is all cloudy which I’m assuming is another bacteria bloom.

Did my tests just to see and colors are way different than yesterday. I did both tests but easier to see on the API.

Fingers crossed!

IMG_3955.jpeg
Personally I’d do a water change, pretty significant depending on what your nitrites are. (Put in 1ml of tank water, 4ml of regular water, do the normal 5 drops, and whatever the result is multiply by 5, then yoy can figure out what the actual nitrites are) 5 and above can end up buffering there and stalling the cycle.
Otherwise, ammonia is finally gone so that’s great

Edit: water change is optional to speed it up. It will eventually be processed but it can take awhile.

OP
OP
A

acroholicanonymous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d do a water change, pretty significant depending on what your nitrites are. (Put in 1ml of tank water, 4ml of regular water, do the normal 5 drops, and whatever the result is multiply by 5, then yoy can figure out what the actual nitrites are) 5 and above can end up buffering there and stalling the cycle.
Otherwise, ammonia is finally gone so that’s great

Edit: water change is optional to speed it up. It will eventually be processed but it can take awhile.
I’ll definitely keep it in mind. I’ll let it sit for a couple more days to see if there is any movement and if not go ahead and do a 30 gallon water change.

Looks like maybe in between 3-4?

IMG_3960.jpeg

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back