Any help with my lobo what do you lot think

parameters
Alk 9.1
Cal 430
Mag 1520
Sal 34ppt
no3 1.9
Po4 0.32

I am treating alage with flux rx but this has been going on for a while now iv never been happy with the way it is from the start
Iv tried it in low light,higher light ,feeding not feeding.changing flow
20240919_155045.jpg

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lobo tends to like low flow and light, I have several. One is medium light high flow and happy. Another is low light low flow and happy. I bought a third and had it everywhere and it is looking like yours. Receded and pale. Skeletal ridges on the outside. I asked an expert and was given advice which I’m taking and told it could take months to recover. Basically when bleached any amount of light can be damaging and I was told put in the lowest light section of the tank and target feed until improvement.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lobo tends to like low flow and light, I have several. One is medium light high flow and happy. Another is low light low flow and happy. I bought a third and had it everywhere and it is looking like yours. Receded and pale. Skeletal ridges on the outside. I asked an expert and was given advice which I’m taking and told it could take months to recover. Basically when bleached any amount of light can be damaging and I was told put in the lowest light section of the tank and target feed until improvement.
Thanks for the advice I can move it under a overhang it would be in shade

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shrimps are opportunistic feeders and have been known to remove food from corals mouths, and in some cases, even from their stomachs. They smell the food and dig and pick to get to it.

It might help to put a cage over the lobo for a while to prevent the shrimp from having access to the lobo. A fish isolation box could protect it and then watch for improvement

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimps are opportunistic feeders and have been known to remove food from corals mouths, and in some cases, even from their stomachs. They smell the food and dig and pick to get to it.

It might help to put a cage over the lobo for a while to prevent the shrimp from having access to the lobo. A fish isolation box could protect it and then watch for improvement
Thanks for the advice il have a look and see what's about will it be a diy thing or could I buy one

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will paste the reply I was given from an expert in care of lobo. With high experience with wild caught / imported specimens

Hello,

Based upon the photos that you sent, the Symphyllia is indeed bleaching, The first thing that you want to do is inspect the edges of the coral & the bottom of the skeleton to make sure there are no razor clams or pests like worms, vermited snails or anything else that could possibly bother it. You can also dip the coral to see if anything comes off, preferably in iodine or Revive so that the coral does not stress out more. After dipping the coral, place it in the darkest part of your tank for a couple of weeks or until the color starts to come back & don’t forget to target feed it so that it recovers faster.

When a coral is bleached, even medium lighting can cause it to stress out and continue to bleach. In a couple of weeks, if you see the color return, you can slowly introduce it back to the light.

Lobophyllia & Symphyllia will typically have Razor Clams inside of the skeleton. These clams will die off & when this happens, the gases from the rotting clam escape through the flesh of the coral, causing it to bleach. I also notice that you have your Symphyllia in the sand bed. Sometimes, fish or a pump can stir some of the sand onto the corals & then the sand can also cause the coral to bleach if not removed in time. This is because the coral will ingest the sand, thinking that it is food. You can buy a turkey baster and blow the sand off the coral to keep it clean if that’s the case. Another possibility would be that it got stung by another coral with long sweepers that is nearby.

Medium lighting and medium water flow are ideal for Lobophyllia & Symphyllia.

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will paste the reply I was given from an expert in care of lobo. With high experience with wild caught / imported specimens

Hello,

Based upon the photos that you sent, the Symphyllia is indeed bleaching, The first thing that you want to do is inspect the edges of the coral & the bottom of the skeleton to make sure there are no razor clams or pests like worms, vermited snails or anything else that could possibly bother it. You can also dip the coral to see if anything comes off, preferably in iodine or Revive so that the coral does not stress out more. After dipping the coral, place it in the darkest part of your tank for a couple of weeks or until the color starts to come back & don’t forget to target feed it so that it recovers faster.

When a coral is bleached, even medium lighting can cause it to stress out and continue to bleach. In a couple of weeks, if you see the color return, you can slowly introduce it back to the light.

Lobophyllia & Symphyllia will typically have Razor Clams inside of the skeleton. These clams will die off & when this happens, the gases from the rotting clam escape through the flesh of the coral, causing it to bleach. I also notice that you have your Symphyllia in the sand bed. Sometimes, fish or a pump can stir some of the sand onto the corals & then the sand can also cause the coral to bleach if not removed in time. This is because the coral will ingest the sand, thinking that it is food. You can buy a turkey baster and blow the sand off the coral to keep it clean if that’s the case. Another possibility would be that it got stung by another coral with long sweepers that is nearby.

Medium lighting and medium water flow are ideal for Lobophyllia & Symphyllia.
Thanks ever so much much appreciated

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is mine. It is in a shaded back corner while I await recovery. I have dipped, placed on a stand out of the sand and attempt to target feed but it doesn’t always eat.

58882A0C-7258-4C95-BECA-01DA4501FBCF.jpeg

Used to look like this
C5436BBE-6C32-4658-AB1B-3A9C53809402.jpeg

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is mine. It is in a shaded back corner while I await recovery. I have dipped, placed on a stand out of the sand and attempt to target feed but it doesn’t always eat.

58882A0C-7258-4C95-BECA-01DA4501FBCF.jpeg
The only place I have good shade would be if I moved the lobo back a bit yiu can see the shade in the pic do you think this would suffice
17267600189685143318568399180114.jpg

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To be honest I am not sure. I even reduced all my lighting 10% to try and help the lobo and I usually wouldn’t make a change to the entire system but I do want to help it recover

All my others are fine and I wonder if this has internal issues unrelated to lighting and parameters

OP
OP
S

seeky007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I am not sure. I even reduced all my lighting 10% to try and help the lobo and I usually wouldn’t make a change to the entire system but I do want to help it recover

All my others are fine and I wonder if this has internal issues unrelated to lighting and parameters
I did the same I lowered my light went from 80% max to 60% I have orphek natura icon light

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here are my other lobo, wellso, symphyllia - they are all similar coral with the same system requirements
6434D33B-4362-4589-B1CE-864A41C31733.jpeg
43C3D9B3-66AF-4A71-8C18-3FFCED6D6614.jpeg

25C883B9-2B9E-4C07-BC32-306AE0E6C19D.jpeg

Hard to see but there is a orange/green lobo under the bright green torch and it is poofy and happy
975C5F8A-06BA-4477-8191-3F15D90451B8.jpeg

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use reefbreeders photon 48 and reduced down to 30% max but felt that was too low for my other corals and now am at 40%

At this power, my lobo having issues is probably in 25-50 par max

It has been over 2 weeks and I do not see improvement yet

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back