LUNAR Wrasse Behavior

Zeezah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a juvenile Lunar Wrasse, he is green on his back and light blue on his tummy with standard facial markings. He has a black dot on his back and on his tail. Every so often I have observed that his coloration and Marlins have changed. He will turn mostly light blue and the facial markings and spots are very faint or dissapear all together. Does anyone know the significance of this? I am worling in getting additinal photos.

20180411_113758(0).jpg

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like flashing behavior - a shift in coloration to indicate an excited state when courting females or defending territory. What other fish are in the tank? It should also be noted that these fish can get pretty large (up to 30cm).

OP
OP
Zeezah

Zeezah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 55gal tank currently. We do plan for a bigger tank soon. There is a Niger Trigger and a Sailfin Tang. The other fish act like no big deal for the most part and he doesn't really mass with them just swims all over and jumps around by the back of the tank. Although the Sailfin flaires at him and almost heard him to the opposite side of the tank if he gets spastic to close. This is all rare behavior and I am sure tank size is relevant.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it sounds like nuptial/territorial flashing displays. Perfectly normal and sign of a healthy fish.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back