MACNA Cancelled?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. I always support those in my area that took that leap of faith to open a store also. I have one I regularly trade and buy things from, even when I don’t need anything. I also know how the dominos can fall without the lfs around.
Its suicide to open a store in our area right now. There are way too many. I can think of 16 stores that do saltwater without bringing Petco into the mix. The owner of my favorite store said if it wasn't for freshwater he would have had to close by now. He said saltwater fish are selling well but coral sales are way down, and he has fairly good prices with a huge $15 and $25 selection.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller / Team BC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its suicide to open a store in our area right now. There are way too many. I can think of 16 stores that do saltwater without bringing Petco into the mix. The owner of my favorite store said if it wasn't for freshwater he would have had to close by now. He said saltwater fish are selling well but coral sales are way down, and he has fairly good prices with a huge $15 and $25 selection.
Yeah, we can’t frag fish in our basements, and most wholesalers require a store. So fish are usually good for a lfs. Lots of clowns and cardinals though from hobbyist sellers.

saltytanked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greed has finally caught up with “vendors “ and the money pot is drying up and more ppl are getting out as they can’t afford it (thank goodness) I absolutely loathe for the older days between 2005 and 2015, when there are few hobbyists more stores and a niche group of people, not too mention paying $100 for a single item livestock whether a coral or fish was almost unheard of.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the going price for some. They can't be wild collected.

IMG_4068 (Medium).jpg

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we can’t frag fish in our basements, and most wholesalers require a store. So fish are usually good for a lfs. Lots of clowns and cardinals though from hobbyist sellers.
You made me realize something. I haven't seen a post for local bred clowns in a couple of years. I also haven't seen any at any of our LFS. I do remember a post from a guy getting rid of all his breeder pairs about 2 years ago. I guess we don't have anyone breeding local, or if they are, they aren't selling local.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greed has finally caught up with “vendors “ and the money pot is drying up and more ppl are getting out as they can’t afford it (thank goodness) I absolutely loathe for the older days between 2005 and 2015, when there are few hobbyists more stores and a niche group of people, not too mention paying $100 for a single item livestock whether a coral or fish was almost unheard of.
What exactly is "greed"?

Sure a coral that was $30 five years ago may be $100 but your Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit meal that was $4.50 four years ago is now $11.75

Your gasoline, electricity, sandwich baggies, skittles, socks and pool pass are also twice as much or more than they were a few years ago... The guy or girl you are buying coral from is in the same boat as you, as is the company selling you the frag plugs, as is the company wholesaling plastic to the company who manufacturers your lights. The people shipping your coral have to pay higher shipping costs and are more apt to be paying their collectors a fair wage as demanded by their home country and trade law enforcement. Of course, speaking of which that importer is spending a fortune on regulation compliance an CITES documentation.

Of course, you just asked your boss for a 8% raise because the 3% he gave you does not even cover inflation. Of course he doesn't wan't to lose you or the other 10 employees, but his cost of everything has gone up too, so he is raising prices in the store 20% to try and at least cover some of the lost revenue.

Who exactly is "greedy?"

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You made me realize something. I haven't seen a post for local bred clowns in a couple of years. I also haven't seen any at any of our LFS. I do remember a post from a guy getting rid of all his breeder pairs about 2 years ago. I guess we don't have anyone breeding local, or if they are, they aren't selling local.

Hans is still breeding my clowns I gave him... you can get my 'grand-fish' at local events or his home - you can reach him thru club website at: https://forum.dfwmas.org/index.php?members/hnurge.6219/

super cute little 'nemos' - the last club frag swap was scheduled the same day as DFWAA's event, and since he and his family also does freshwater breeding, he had a table there instead of club Frag Swap.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back