Macro Algae choices.

Hatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here,
I am setting up my Tunze algae reactor and I see there are several different types of macro algae. Is it necessary to run chaeto in a reactor or can you use something like atomic broccoli or blue hypnea with it?
Thanks in advance.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use whatever you like for the most part, but chaeto is tried and true so if you can get some I'm not sure why you wouldn't. Most folks who use macro other than chaeto is for aesthetics. I have chaeto available for sale and can ship if you are interested.

OP
OP
H

Hatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m all about performance first but if performance is equal then aesthetics is a goal. I plan on running this unit outside the sump cabinet.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here,
I am setting up my Tunze algae reactor and I see there are several different types of macro algae. Is it necessary to run chaeto in a reactor or can you use something like atomic broccoli or blue hypnea with it?
Thanks in advance.
You will probably want to stay away from anything that has a "root" structure or is found attached to substrates. Although some caulerpas may work ok. I am not great on scientific names but maybe pom pom algae it seems to like being tumbled. If you want to get the other algaes set up a refugium it will be much easier and better for the algaes.

anesdoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I'm a Noob and just set up my first tank this month. Is there a certain time to start a refugium? Meaning do I have to wait a few weeks/months or can I go ahead and start my refugium?

Mr Fishface

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I'm a Noob and just set up my first tank this month. Is there a certain time to start a refugium? Meaning do I have to wait a few weeks/months or can I go ahead and start my refugium?
I would say you could add a refugium once you have nutrients in the tank. So best to wait until you have fish or are feeding things in your tank IMO.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back