Magnetic frag racks should not exist. Change my mind...

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a small one that I remove when not in use.

Last edited by a moderator:

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that not everyone has the space or money. I still assert that time and planning however can overcome those obstacles. That is, if the end goal is A public aquarium style display.

If, however, the end goal is something vastly different. I'm interested in hearing it. See above where mosh Josh suggested that some people are doing this for the love of collecting.

I am not trying to tell people what they should or shouldn't do. I'm asking the question, why?
What’s your decor style? Modern, mid century, traditional, transitional, cottage chic, eclectic, boho? If it’s anything other than my fave, you’ve completely trashed the aesthetic of your home….. seriously dude?

I use them to acclimate or until I have time to glue but I’ve seen beautiful tanks that incorporate them. If it’s not your bag that’s fine. But if you were “only asking” you failed at communication because it absolutely sounds like you’re saying any tank that has them s^c!$.
You don’t need to try to convince me otherwise. My opinion of how lame your statement was is firm.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care for frag racks either. It makes my reef feel less immersive long term.

Frag racks are handy though and I've left mine in for a week or two from time to time. Sometimes I need a few days to decide on placement. Learned that lesson the hard way.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow peoples initial reaction is to get upset, over frag racks and ascetic choices. That's really surprising to me.

I mean, I had no idea people would get this mad over plastic and magnets.

Sorry if I offended you all.
this is nothing! If you wanted to make everybody angry you should have asked about keeping a tang in a 40 breeder "just for a little while". . . haha

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow peoples initial reaction is to get upset, over frag racks and ascetic choices. That's really surprising to me.

People are sensitive for some reason. I like the thread :)

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of the day we need frag racks but if someone thinks their tank looks better with racks than without, you're wrong and that's ok.

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frag racks are handy though and I've left mine in for a week or two from time to time. Sometimes I need a few days to decide on placement. Learned that lesson the hard way
Ok, this also makes sense to me. As a temporary tool, like a fish trap.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this also makes sense to me. As a temporary tool, like a fish trap.
Yep gives you time to consider the flow, lighting and colour arrangement. Also handy for light acclimation, you can slowly move your rack up and down to try out different par levels.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently stopped by a person's house that would have had an otherwise beautiful aquarium with the exception of these magnetic frag racks all over the glass.

In my mind, a display aquarium should be exactly that, your display. Mucking it up with tiny pieces of coral on grow out magnetic frag racks, in my opinion, completely defeats the purpose of having an area to grow out Coral before adding it to your system.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

So if you don't like it, don't look :)

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People are sensitive for some reason. I like the thread :)
Me too.
I would also add that I love seeing someone with a hot tank bursting with flaming corals so hot that I must have a frag, and they point out that they do have one available on the rack, encrusted and dripping with color.

You need a rack to share with others.
Antlers Rack GIF by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think people are offended because you don't like frag racks. I think people are bothered by the way you came accross, your way is right and everyone else is wrong. That tends to bother folks ;)

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I detect some hostility in your response to the OP's discussion on magnetic frag racks.

We should strive to make only pleasant conversation in our replies to avoid stirring up vitriol into our dialogue.

That aside, Can you provide a link to these tank hate threads, please and thank you. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
You've been here long enough I shouldn't have to give you links...

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Plus I think it helps to grow the frags out in the same parameters they will be permanently mounted in
Exactly….I will often mount the rack away from the lights and let the frags adjust, especially those fresh glued micro sized sticks from vendors we can’t mention ;)
Not everyone has the time/space for a separate frag system.
Exactly pt2 …. I used my sump and a tunze light until I got a rack that worked on 3/4” glass
For me, it’s mostly pure laziness of not spending the time to mount the frags to the rock.
or when you get time …I set aside a few hours to “de-plug” and mount
The discussion is about visual distraction.
….My tanks isn’t “exactly” for just visual enjoyment; there is the husbandry aspect, the science aspect et et …in fact my tanks look like crap until I clean the glass
It’s no more than a personal taste and each and every one of us is entitled to have its own opinion about.
There was a thread on this forum (I think) a while back where someone wanted to put pirate ships and skulls in a reef tank… during the whole “I’m Ok/your OK” feel good thread, I was about the only poster honest enough to express my feeling: it looked like fake tacky garbage, but that was “MY OPINION” …everyone else blew smoke up the ole wazooo
use them to acclimate or until I have time to glue but I’ve seen beautiful tanks that incorporate them.
Yes
There are a few sensitive types here, since most feel empowered with the “ignore” button, you can safely diss these thin skinned types without them ever knowing the laughs on them
Or which light is best....lol
or which salt is best or is it Apex or Hydros, or sand or barebottom …. the debates repeat over and over and never end lol

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s not about frag racks. They aren’t my aesthetic either. You put someone’s tank that they obviously spend a great deal of time caring for on blast, on a public forum and then basically said that anyone who is incorporating them utilizes poor planning when they set up their system.
There are members on this forum with gorgeous tanks that incorporate frag racks. By extension you called BS on their tanks as well.

I’m not personally offended, I just think the comment sounded jerky.

Last edited:
Back