Magnetic frag racks should not exist. Change my mind...

OP
OP
cilyjr

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You put someone’s tank that they obviously spend a great deal of time caring for on blast,
An individual who has been one of my best friends for going on 20 years.

You have no idea how that conversation happened as you weren't there. But go ahead and be offended for others.

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Topic!

Like the way you presented your argument - Someone had a great display aquarium but you thought the frag racks detracted from the beauty of the presentation. You politely asked other reefers to help you understand.

Enjoy the discussion and the responses!

Myself, I have a frag rack in my aquarium because my corals are over growing and I need someplace to put them while I offer them to other reefers.

1722203733710.jpeg
IMG_1571.jpeg
If you're offering I'll take any one of those torch frags lol

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own.

I like very natural looking coral bommies, with plenty of open sand. Don't want unnecessary plastic or fake looking anything. Mag frag racks, sure... add in floating rockwork, NSA rockwork, bare bottom reefs, skull shaped decor, et al. No thanks.

Shouldn't exist? Why not? Just because _I_ don't want it, doesn't mean someone else doesn't want it. Why should my opinions be any more important that someone else's? You want a star trek themed reef tank, complete with a 3d model of the Enterprise? It's your tank, who am I to complain? Your business, not mine.

Why would I actively attempt to limit someone else's choices?

captainsmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually am surprised that natural stone racks haven’t been mentioned. I have 2 and think it adds another dimension to the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1930.jpeg
    IMG_1930.jpeg
    322.4 KB · Views: 20

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to change your mind because I agree mostly. I think that displays [that are going for the more natural look] do not look as good with frag racks in them. Sometimes it's necessary and that has certainly been the case for me. I'm always very glad when I'm able to take the rack(s) back out and have a clean look again. That said, some people are into collecting and for them I think it makes sense as it will maximize their tank volume.

pleasure2024

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently stopped by a person's house that would have had an otherwise beautiful aquarium with the exception of these magnetic frag racks all over the glass.

In my mind, a display aquarium should be exactly that, your display. Mucking it up with tiny pieces of coral on grow out magnetic frag racks, in my opinion, completely defeats the purpose of having an area to grow out Coral before adding it to your system.

Every time I have built an aquarium I have added space to have a connected frag system. I will Grant you that I have more opportunity than most to do that as I have always created a dedicated space for aquarium equipment. Still, I have got to say what's the point if you're not making your display exactly that, a display!

Please by all means change my mind. I want to hear the opposing argument!
They work--3 on the side glass and a large one down the back for torch coral. Imgp1999.jpg Imgp2000.jpg

N2nanoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently stopped by a person's house that would have had an otherwise beautiful aquarium with the exception of these magnetic frag racks all over the glass.

In my mind, a display aquarium should be exactly that, your display. Mucking it up with tiny pieces of coral on grow out magnetic frag racks, in my opinion, completely defeats the purpose of having an area to grow out Coral before adding it to your system.

Every time I have built an aquarium I have added space to have a connected frag system. I will Grant you that I have more opportunity than most to do that as I have always created a dedicated space for aquarium equipment. Still, I have got to say what's the point if you're not making your display exactly that, a display!

Check out new start up STR8 UP Reefing and their STR8 UP Frag racks. They seem to have addressed the concerns some have with traditional frag racks. No magnets, innovative Vertical Multi-Tier frag racks, simple design and aesthetically pleasing. https://www.instagram.com/str8_up_reefing?igsh=YTQwZjQ0NmI0OA==&utm_source=qr

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually am surprised that natural stone racks haven’t been mentioned. I have 2 and think it adds another dimension to the tank.
i was thinking the same thing, i have a few of these and think their fantastic, usage of extra room, practicality and they look good.

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Everyone has limits. For some, the limit is physical space. It is just the space in their sole display tank, for others it is the number of tanks their fish room can support and the space in all of those tanks. For others, the limit is time. For others, the limit is money. Realistically, for most people, it is some combination of the three, but rest assured everyone has a limit on the amount of coral they can grow.

Magnetic frag racks are a way to increase the amount of coral growing area while minimizing the additional space/time/money required to do so since they piggyback off the existing system's light, water, and floor space.

An additional reason they exist is that because they are magnetic, they can by moved freely around the tank which is useful for testing and verifying how deep/shallow a frag can be placed in a tank and how it will react.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I read the title of the thread, I thought for sure you were going to say that magnets will eventually fail and rust in the tank. But nope.

While I think we all wish we could have a separate frag tank, I think the question is if you didn't have an extra frag tank...what are your options for frags? Personally, I think frag racks are better when mounted on the back or side of the tank. I do agree that I like to keep the front of the tank free of any distractions. I do not get as distracted when it is on the side or back because i already have big MP40's and Gyres on those spots.

I like mounting them in the back because it gives the illusion that it is more full that it is.

I don't mind frag racks because it's part of the hobby. And you are the master of your own tank. If I want to put a Millennium Falcon or Spongebob's Pineapple house in my tank, I can do it and no one can tell me otherwise. LOL.

If we all can have frag tank, I don't think we would be using frag racks.

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone is freaking out about being offended by someone recognizing that frag racks are an eye sore. They literally are guys. If you have a top notch 10,000 dollar reef tank and all your corals are absolutely stunning and everything is perfect and then there’s a glowing box hanging on the side with some corals that are half dead and barely getting any light then that person is completely doing their aquarium an injustice imo. If that’s what they want to do then go for it. But it detracts from the tank and I think it’s a good idea for anyone to realize that especially if their goal is to have a nice “display” tank. I’ve got a lot of aquariums. Some I consider “display” and some I’d hang a frag rack right in the middle on the front of it, if I used them, because it’s set up for that kind of thing. Nothing to be offended about. If you take the frag rack out of your display tank the display tank instantly looks 10 times better.

Or is anyone arguing that their aquarium looks better with frag racks in it?

BillFish Coral Lover

Most Excellent Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a luxury to have the space, time, and energy for a separate system or connected tank, not a given.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Tunze dry rock frag racks go on the back glass, give height to your aquascape, and look great.

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An individual who has been one of my best friends for going on 20 years.

You have no idea how that conversation happened as you weren't there. But go ahead and be offended for others.
Thanks for your permission.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 kinds of racks. Got a bunch of the standard platform style racks for temp use when I have lots of new corals but I have naturalistic rock style for permanent use. I personally think it’s fine to use racks to extend the usable space for corals in the display. The torches are all on racks and several frogspawn are on racks in the back and sides . Plus there’s a few single frag holders in use.

IMG_8251.jpeg IMG_8253.jpeg IMG_8254.jpeg IMG_8255.jpeg

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 kinds of racks. Got a bunch of the standard platform style racks for temp use when I have lots of new corals but I have naturalistic rock style for permanent use. I personally think it’s fine to use racks to extend the usable space for corals in the display. The torches are all on racks and several frogspawn are on racks in the back and sides . Plus there’s a few single frag holders in use.

IMG_8251.jpeg IMG_8253.jpeg IMG_8254.jpeg IMG_8255.jpeg
This is really well done incorporation. I’d never notice em.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone is freaking out about being offended by someone recognizing that frag racks are an eye sore. They literally are guys. If you have a top notch 10,000 dollar reef tank and all your corals are absolutely stunning and everything is perfect and then there’s a glowing box hanging on the side with some corals that are half dead and barely getting any light then that person is completely doing their aquarium an injustice imo. If that’s what they want to do then go for it. But it detracts from the tank and I think it’s a good idea for anyone to realize that especially if their goal is to have a nice “display” tank. I’ve got a lot of aquariums. Some I consider “display” and some I’d hang a frag rack right in the middle on the front of it, if I used them, because it’s set up for that kind of thing. Nothing to be offended about. If you take the frag rack out of your display tank the display tank instantly looks 10 times better.

Or is anyone arguing that their aquarium looks better with frag racks in it?
The the OP title said magnetic frag racks should not exist....not they are ugly, total troll title. Further in the text the op did go into "doing things the right way" so you don't need them, like building a separate system.

I use them occasionally when fragging stuff or new aquires. I generally try to take pictures without them in view along with the mandatory glass scrape.

FWIW I've had IMO unwarranted criticism of tank pictures on this forum, for awhile I didn't like posting pictures because of this reason.

Back