Mandarin goby tips

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, to start this fish is not sick in any way I only need some help when it comes to feeding and flow.

I got this mandarin about 3 weeks ago now and has been in qt the entire time eating brine and mysis. I do however have to turn off the flow in order for it to really eat well. Since I want to move him into my dt this weekend I am not sure how he will do since my dt has stronger flow then my qt. Should I just let him figure it out in dt or should I make it a habit to turn off flow when feeding?

BadMagnificentFirefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your DT? Do you have an attached sump with a fuge?

Mandarins are fish that, if the DT can’t support the pod population they need, will need some babying when it comes to target feeding. Even if they are eating frozen brine or mysis, they are not competitive eaters by any stretch. They’ll need the flow turned off and the other inhabitants kept at bay somehow.
I have heard a few people use a 2L soda bottle. Cut the bottom off, and place it over the mandarin. Squirt some food in through the hole up top and leave it for a few minutes.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is your DT? Do you have an attached sump with a fuge?

Mandarins are fish that, if the DT can’t support the pod population they need, will need some babying when it comes to target feeding. Even if they are eating frozen brine or mysis, they are not competitive eaters by any stretch. They’ll need the flow turned off and the other inhabitants kept at bay somehow.
I have heard a few people use a 2L soda bottle. Cut the bottom off, and place it over the mandarin. Squirt some food in through the hole up top and leave it for a few minutes.
40G with a drop in kit (with macros back there to grow out the copepod population) Never thought I’d have to baby a fish…lol thanks for the trick

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broadcast feed frozen cyclops (pellets and other food) and let it land wherever and the mandarin just finds them.
That’s what I did today, I’m trying to stop turning off the flow during feeding but since it’s a bare bottom there’s not much getting left

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need pods regardless if they are eating frozen. Even if you see pods in your DT don’t stop buying them because one mandarin can quickly deplete the population in a 40 gallon

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need pods regardless if they are eating frozen. Even if you see pods in your DT don’t stop buying them because one mandarin can quickly deplete the population in a 40 gallon
I only recently started dumping the jars in every weekend. I plan to start on a monthly basis though since it looks like it will get pricey

BadMagnificentFirefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I did today, I’m trying to stop turning off the flow during feeding but since it’s a bare bottom there’s not much getting left
Yeah, BB tanks are not ideal setups for mandarins. Not nearly as much surface area for pods. It’s like the aquatic equivalent of a golf course.

asiu0009083

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tankmates will your mandarin have? I know that their feeding habits and temprament are relatively similar to pipefish and seahorses so anything too agressive or active will not be good with them.

Also for copepods I found that "dirtier" water helped sustain larger populations. Even though I had no filtration in my 30 gal except for a large refugium I managed to raise my seahorses from babies to breeding.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tankmates will your mandarin have? I know that their feeding habits and temprament are relatively similar to pipefish and seahorses so anything too agressive or active will not be good with them.

Also for copepods I found that "dirtier" water helped sustain larger populations. Even though I had no filtration in my 30 gal except for a large refugium I managed to raise my seahorses from babies to breeding.
Just 2 clowns and a gramma. I’ll be picking up a leopard wrasse soon too. My fish have never chased each other so I don’t expect them to bother the goby at all honestly

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back