Mattgsa 315 gallon build

Wrinkled Fingers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. My guess would be the Berghia Nudibranch. I had a similar problem years ago with aiptasia in a 125. They were evveywhere. Bought Berghia Nudibranch and for a few weeks thought I just wasted my money because I saw no change. Then all of a sudden the aiptasia started to disappear. They completely rid my tank of the aiptasia from the rocks, in the overflows, and everywhere else. I still have all the rock from that tank, and I am sure the nudis are long dead, but still no aiptasia.

I also tried copper band butterflies to control the aiptasia problem and had trouble with a few eating. Feeding live black worms seemed to get a feeding response so they may be worth a shot if you have not tried feeding them yet.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear. My guess would be the Berghia Nudibranch. I had a similar problem years ago with aiptasia in a 125. They were evveywhere. Bought Berghia Nudibranch and for a few weeks thought I just wasted my money because I saw no change. Then all of a sudden the aiptasia started to disappear. They completely rid my tank of the aiptasia from the rocks, in the overflows, and everywhere else. I still have all the rock from that tank, and I am sure the nudis are long dead, but still no aiptasia.

I also tried copper band butterflies to control the aiptasia problem and had trouble with a few eating. Feeding live black worms seemed to get a feeding response so they may be worth a shot if you have not tried feeding them yet.
I see you are new to the form. Welcome to R2R. It sounds like you have been involved in the hobby for a while, but it is always nice to talk to people with significant experience.
I'm not sure where I would get live black worms here in SA. I ordered some Mastic, but I have seen several reviews where the Copper Band went after that.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem the MetroPlex and Focus from SeaChem did the trick. The fish look healthy, and the fins are back to normal. I can't believe how quickly things turned around. I think I'm going to order more clean-up crew for the tank. I have noticed a drop in the numbers lately, which is perhaps the reason for the increase in algae.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would seem the MetroPlex and Focus from SeaChem did the trick. The fish look healthy, and the fins are back to normal. I can't believe how quickly things turned around. I think I'm going to order more clean-up crew for the tank. I have noticed a drop in the numbers lately, which is perhaps the reason for the increase in algae.
I like to go overboard on the cuc and get a variety. Typically I just order from reef cleaners as you get great selection including lots of smaller snails which get into the nooks and cranny’s. Do you have tangs?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to go overboard on the cuc and get a variety. Typically I just order from reef cleaners as you get great selection including lots of smaller snails which get into the nooks and cranny’s. Do you have tangs?
I normally order from them. However, the last order I got from them came covered in Aptaisa's, and I didn't realize it until it was too late. So, I just ordered some more clean-up crew from DrReefs.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally order from them. However, the last order I got from them came covered in Aptaisa's, and I didn't realize it until it was too late. So, I just ordered some more clean-up crew from DrReefs.
I’ve almost eradicated my aptasia issue, I have found Berghia to work well. They may be slow but they get the job done. They issue is no matter what aptasia comes back so I may go with a more permanent fix like a file fish in my big tank. Figure once I get coral established even if it nips at coral the tank is big enough to handle a little crazing

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve almost eradicated my aptasia issue, I have found Berghia to work well. They may be slow but they get the job done. They issue is no matter what aptasia comes back so I may go with a more permanent fix like a file fish in my big tank. Figure once I get coral established even if it nips at coral the tank is big enough to handle a little crazing
Fortunately, they are all gone now. I bought 30 Berghia, a Copper Band, and an Australian strippy to eliminate the Apasias. I can't find a single one now.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I found some black worms at the local LFS. The funny thing is that I put them in a container in the fridge. Later, my wife and I went out, and my daughter took a picture of the worms and texted it to my wife, asking why she was keeping her hair in the fridge.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried about the amount of food the copper band is eating. After researching, I found that even the pickiest Copperbands will eat live mussels. So I drove to the central market and picked some up; sure enough, he went after it. The only thing is to keep them alive; you must keep them on ice but not in the fridge. So I had to commandeer the ice maker. The wife loved the idea.LOL
IMG_0275.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, yesterday, we got up early to leave for the beach. While we were getting ready to go, I kept looking at the tank because I could only see two fish and none of my tangs. The wife pulled me out the door. I spent the rest of the day thinking about the fish, worried they had died. It put a hamper on my day at the beach. We didn't get back until after 7, and luckily, all the fish were alive and accounted for; I was relieved.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for not posting updates. I got the copper band eating really well, and he is gaining weight. He attacks everything I put in the tank. I no longer have to buy muscles to get him to eat. I mostly ignored the refugium section of my tank since the light fell into the water and got destroyed. I had a mangrove in there that I wrote off as dead. Well, I was out there working on other things when I noticed leaves coming out of my sump. The mangrove has taken root as it is growing. I was shocked and thrilled to see that. I have since added another light for it.
The tank is still covered in algae; however, it's starting to sluff off the rocks and is not growing back. I'm hoping that this second ugly stage is nearing its end. I'm really looking forward to getting corals back in the tank.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0429.jpg

I would love to show you what came in the mail. However, I had to turn off the lights it would seem that my Achillies tang is not to fond of the new arrivals, even considering they are not tangs. So I put the mirror on the tank, however, he could care less about the mirror. So have turned off the light to give the new fish some time to acclimate without getting harassed.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reasons unknown both Pyramid butterfly fish died. They we really skinny when I got them. All the other fish in the tank are fine and doing well.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the butterflies. Where did they come from and have they been eating well since you got them?

Seems like a saltwater tank will make sure to keep you from getting overconfident one way or another.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

ASSUME MONEY AND TIME ARE NOT A FACTOR: IF YOU COULD START OVER WITH YOUR TANK, WOULD YOU?

• Yes. I would love a fresh start.

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Maybe. At times I wish I could start fresh, while other times I'm happy where I'm at.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • No. I'm happy with where I'm at in my reefing journey.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back