May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They acknowledged the shortcomings and issued a brace to fix the issues for a couple of the larger models. Unfortunately, there were no fixes for MOST of the models and the issue is not just limited to the couple models they "fixed".

Exactly. The problem was acknowledged, supposedly “fixed”, and Red Sea tries to silence everyone who dares speak of it.

Sadly, I have heard some absolute horror stories of how Red Sea has tried to handle certain vendors that dared bring this up.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what actions can owners of non-split tanks take right now, to shore up any risks, if any = key detail I think readers want to know. it's tricky because applying things on top of the factory build seam isn't usually the advised mode, but what's the status quo looking like if no action is taken

if we can simply be allowed to collate shared experience that will help determine validity of the matter
Do you have a Red Sea…?

BigRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like new threads of old things cause you find the answers faster then having to read thru 1000s of posts.

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Survived The Parting of the Red Sea
It took me forever to find the meme I created last time (never ceases to amaze me how many of these threads keep springing up). This seems appropriate. Maybe we should get T-shirts made? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

92B2DF9D-CA04-4602-93CE-32F1EAE35447.png
This is phenomenal

BigRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a Red Sea…?
He works there behind the scenes. Bad publicity is still publicity.... you may not like their tanks but love their salt and chemicals or vice versa ... either way they win until ultimately filing for BK from lawsuit.... see it happen all the time. :yawning-face:

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
So when I log on there are literally 3 threads on the first page same BS on all of them. But just wants to blow smoke and insult RS owners.
I'm not insulted, and most of my reefing gear is Red Sea. If there are any problems I want to know about them. Threads about 'problems' are swiftly squashed by RS on their facebook group.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm noticing an uptick in posts about seam breaks can we get input on the matter pls/ prevention or assistance details

They seem to center around 2-3 year old models based on themes in searchable recent threads, is there any type of tank padding or after market bracing needed? Is there any benefit in disassembling the reef portion in order to gain access to seals that are currently in good condition, to preemptively reinforce them/ add extra layer of seam support?
Likelihood that anyone will discuss a possible liability problem in a public forum ?

ZERO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This issue always reminds me of a former gpu company evga. They had an issue with some 30 series cards bricking while running certain games. What they did is re-evaluate and test their products, they owned the error in the faulty manufacturing components, and fixed the problem. Not only that but they planned ahead, they had set aside a certain amount of cards for quick replacements for people so when the problem popped up once the customers had proof they mailed the broken cards back evga mailed them out a replacement right away. The customer didn't have to wait for the company to receive the card, diagnose the issue and run through months of paperwork and back and forth emails. They had their replacement cards within days of mailing the broken cards back. And this was during a time where silicone for gpu chips was scarce causing a huge shortage of stock.

My point in saying all this is companies are allowed a mistake here and there, but there's ways to respond that is respectful to their customers. This was a good example for me of the good way to deal with an issue. Red sea is the bad example.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite those trying their best to derail this thread, the goal of the thread is still fulfilled. This will be highly visible on the Red Sea Forum which hopefully serves as a warning for those with RS tanks currently in their homes or those looking to buy.

Those trying to derail the thread, consider what you are actually trying to accomplish here. Either just hating on Brandon or trying to suppress a rather important message that even if you do not agree, does not affect you whatsoever and quite frankly is a slap in the face to your fellow hobbyists dealing with the nightmare of a leaking tank.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite those trying their best to derail this thread, the goal of the thread is still fulfilled. This will be highly visible on the Red Sea Forum which hopefully serves as a warning for those with RS tanks currently in their homes or those looking to buy.

Those trying to derail the thread, consider what you are actually trying to accomplish here. Either just hating on Brandon or trying to suppress a rather important message that even if you do not agree, does not affect you whatsoever and quite frankly is a slap in the face to your fellow hobbyists dealing with the nightmare of a leaking tank.
Did I derail? Didn't mean to just shared my ideas on good vs bad business practices..

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cell and Aluco I always enjoy your posts and info :)

Eli

I vowed not to own a red sea until I get wow’ed by their follow through service to my peers in distress

don’t think I wouldn’t own one as a fine terrarium though, I’d forest that beast right out. We can for sure expect them to contain misting that falls from watered plants I’m positive about that

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@EliMelly in case you were hinting about the validity of discussing red sea tanks without owning one, that doesn’t factor to me

I have never in my life done a dry rock reef tank bottle bac cycle at my house + never will, yet my inbox here is just shy of ten years doing them for other friends so they can start reefing without any type of cycle stall. I don’t own tangs or clownfish but must have cared remotely for ten thousand of them via written instruction that’s for sure

the results others experience is my main interest, and the several red sea owners who seemed like they were left on their own to mop up after seam splits prompted me to simply check and see what’s going on at the headquarters. I’m curious about the trend it’s as simple as that

I fully agree there are many Red Sea tanks, the majority, that arent going to fail

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly enough, looking at the photos of each silicone failure, more often than not I see the same pattern, stratification of the silicone.

Whether this is by design (build method) or by misfortune (improper grade of silicone, expired or faulty product) is up for debate, it seems, although someone well versed in failure analysis could probably draw an educated conclusion.

I haven't seen a corner breakaway, or a midline rupture. Always bottom front seam. center third of the tank.

All-glass and Perfecto used to be able to trace root cause down to the individual tank builder or supply chain. It amazes me that Red Sea wouldn't have that kind of process control.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very helpful observation that gives owners something to look at / inspect beyond just a casual glance for prevention.

Im wondering if there’s any sort of lighting trick or angle with flashlights that may reveal small tears you mention long before they were able to be seen with the heavy blue reef lighting we usually encounter, a way of magnifying the view with clean light for weekly inspection possibly

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After doing some more research, I have changed my mind. It is apparent to me that this needs to be discussed. The fact is that people are losing their money, their tanks, their living coral and fish. This cannot continue, and we, as reefers, should band together to make RS change their design, wether that be via boycott, or other means. Even though I own one of their tanks, I am starting to consider myself lucky that my tank has not burst yet.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just can't keep everyone on topic I'm seeing. Posting off topic is what I think should be banned

There will always be a cancel undercurrent in this matter clearly, even though red sea was who I posted to

So glad to have level- headed input from friends

Finding and posting patterns in break dynamics/ inspection and prevention hopefully will be a benefit of our discussion. Those were the original requests I'd given directly to red sea. If they won't elucidate, peers will

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 70 70.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back