Moving Away From Kalkwasser

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Has anyone made the switch from Kalkwasser over to All for Reef? I’m thinking about making the move but I don’t want to cause any harm to my system or major swings.

I like the idea of testing ALK and everything should kinda fall into place. Currently I dose Kalk based off Ph. It’s keeps my levels around 9-10DKH, 420-480 Cal, Ph 8.0-8.1 & MAG 1500….. for some reason this system has high magnesium? I’m using reef crystals salt. (Maybe my salifert test kit is faulty?) I don’t really worry about the Mag- corals are happy and growing. I’m running an ICP this upcoming week. I will know for sure if it’s truly high or just a test kit error.

AFR seems to be a one stop shop, including trace. I love Kalk, but it’s so hard on equipment. I’ve been using Kalk for a few years, I’m still somewhat new to the hobby…. About 3 yrs of total reef experience.

If anyone has made the switch, I’d like to hear about the experience.

Thanks.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much limewater you add a day I’m at 1000 ml I don’t see any issues on my equipment. Also I’m kinda a if it ain’t broke don’t fix it kinda guy.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much limewater you add a day I’m at 1000 ml I don’t see any issues on my equipment. Also I’m kinda a if it ain’t broke don’t fix it kinda guy.
I was dosing about 4gals a week at full saturation, not exactly sure on the ML? It’s only a 50g tank. I went back down to 4grams per gallon due to a rise in ALK and calcium. I had a big PH swing due to my dosing line clogged and dosing pump broke, Kamorae pump. I now have a better pump. But due to the swing I think my corals slowed down in growth…. They seem to be continuing less ALK & Cal at the moment.

My dosing method: I have my controller dosing Kalk based on A- water level(evaporation) and B-Ph. If my tank evaporates and the PH is at 8.2 my ATO takes over, otherwise it’s the dosing pump.

I also have the same mindset….. which is why I haven’t made the switch.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will the corals take the lower PH? That’s really my main concern…

Depends on how large the change is, which no one can predict. It will mostly be slower growth.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how large the change is, which no one can predict. It will mostly be slower growth.
id take slower growth for better color and coral health any day.

if growth is the only thing that would take the hit, then its definitely something I would strongly consider.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can make one cheap from any old reactor that has a in and out tube with a pipe going down through the center to the bottom. the skimmer pull air from the center tube which will cause air to be drawn in from the outside inlet and down through the media and up the center tube to the skimmer.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id take slower growth for better color and coral health any day.

if growth is the only thing that would take the hit, then its definitely something I would strongly consider.

I don’t recall saying health and color would suffer or be improved.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can make one cheap from any old reactor that has a in and out tube with a pipe going down through the center to the bottom. the skimmer pull air from the center tube which will cause air to be drawn in from the outside inlet and down through the media and up the center tube to the skimmer.
thanks for the DIY info, I will definitely need to watch a few videos and do some googling.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, you didn't say that. I meant better color and health due to the trace elements.

you 100% didn't say that.

I would not assume it is true either. It may be useful to add trace elements with kalkwasser, and one can always experiment if that is the goal.

I used kalkwasser only for 20 years, and did add iron and silicate.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep the kalk and drop back on the dose and throw all 4 reef into the mix “that’s what I do” or keep the kalk and dose a & k elements. Both work great.
Thanks for that!

I will have to look into the A&K elements. Funny, I seen a YouTube video from WWC, I think, and the tank they were showcasing did this.

I will have to check into this for sure.

OP
OP
CodyF.

CodyF.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auh…… that’s good to know. I thought it would maybe cause problems mixing them. I didn’t read that and never heard that. Just assumed, because all the information I seen and read. When people started AFR they stopped using Kalk.

Little off topic….. but thoughts on AF aminos, vitality, build & energy vs MS Method vs any other trace?

If this requires another thread/post forgive me. I will start one.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help to know how large your tank is and how much kalk you were dosing. Was it fully saturated? You can always make it less saturated. I would recommend sticking with Kalk and just adding trace elements A and K (Tropic Marin) if that's your concern.

I have been dosing Kalk for many years solely as my top-off water, up to 4 gallons a day in a 240 gallon system depending on the season. When evaporation wasn't enough to keep up with the Alk and Ca needs of the tank I started supplementing with two part. But using Kalk is much cheaper.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 21 17.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 16.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back