Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 37 gallon reef tank with some smaller fish and just snagged my second tank (75 gallon) and need some advice with stocking some "larger" fish in this new tank. My daughter really wants a puffer so the tank is going to be built around that and will be FOWLR. I also already have a spotted mandarin that I've had in my other tank for a while and will go in soon (she eats frozen and I have a hob refugium and culture my own pods as well). Here is the list I have but any/all suggestions welcome...don't want to overstock or have any compatibility issues:

1. Spotted Mandarin
2. Blue Spotted Puffer
3. One Spot Foxface
4. Clown Fairy Wrasse
5. Starry Blenny (once algae appears)
6. Pair of clowns
7. Flame angel or bristle tooth tang (not sure)
Your fish are not suitable for a 37 gal tank.
F
These should not be there long term: fox face, clown fairy wrasse, any tang, flame angel

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is for their new 75 gallon
OK Sorry I mis read. Then everything is OK IMObut perhaps reconsider the Fox face. In my tank, my one spot, which is the smallest of the foxfires, grew really fast and I would consider it marginal for a 75 gal tank.

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:
Hello! This thread is just what the doctor ordered for me. I’m in the process of building another reef tank . It’s 158 gallon custom built tank 48 by 30 wide and 25 high . I built a beautiful HNSA rock scape with lots of real estate for all different kinds of coral. My dilemma is that I’m torn because I really would like a Queen Angle and perhaps some cool butterfly and trigger fish. Fish I’ve never had because of their reputation for eating coral. I’ve seen different videos on YouTube where people are keeping those fish in their reefs . So,,, what’s the deal can it be done or should I stay away from any fish that are known for pecking on the corals? Thanks in advance for any information! I’m close to getting water in the new tank! My friends call me Big J

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers secret is to look at the mouth. If the mouth turn up, they feed from the water column and should be fine in a reef tank, except they may go for small fish and shrimps but they won’t bother corals.
Angels really depend on your tolerance. They will go after certainty corals and if you like the fish then sacrifice the coral(s)
Queen Angel I kinda doubt it for a “normal reef”. If you can settle with whatever coral live then go for it. It will be things like leather, cabbages and other noxious soft corals.
Butterfly just depends on the species. They are very specialized feeders. Can’t lump all Butterflies together like that (or all group of fish for that matter)

JCH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triggers secret is to look at the mouth. If the mouth turn up, they feed from the water column and should be fine in a reef tank, except they may go for small fish and shrimps but they won’t bother corals.
Angels really depend on your tolerance. They will go after certainty corals and if you like the fish then sacrifice the coral(s)
Queen Angel I kinda doubt it for a “normal reef”. If you can settle with whatever coral live then go for it. It will be things like leather, cabbages and other noxious soft corals.
Butterfly just depends on the species. They are very specialized feeders. Can’t lump all Butterflies together like that (or all group of fish for that matter)
Thanks for the reply! So,,, queen angles will eat acros and things like torch, hammer or Dunkin’ huh ? I wonder do they also eat encrusting types? I suppose if you have a whole ton of bigger colonies you can take a little loss but perhaps not if I’m trying to grow frags then? Well I’ll have to decide I guess. A queen angel has always been on my bucket list !!

heliodorh

Down in Frag-gle Rock
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally speaking as long as the tank is 20 gallons or more, it should be good for a pair of clownfish (some people keep them in smaller tanks, but it's not generally recommended). Most people like to keep their clownfish with a Bubble-tip Anemone (Entacmaea quadricolor) that can host the fish.

Most people would probably suggest a bigger tank for more water quality stability (and to enable you to keep more/a wider variety of fish in the future), but it's not necessary.

perfect, thanks very much for the info!! I will start planning

bill63304

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon 48" x 18" x 24" tank. The tank is mostly LPS. Substrate is sand, lots of rock with open spaces. I currently have tomini tang, sixline wrass, diamond goby and a chromis. I have had these fish for a couple years and they are doing great. I recently moved up from a 55 gallon to this 90 gallon. I am looking for any suggestions to what fish I could add to this tank. I am not opposed to rehoming the sixline if needed, but I would want to keep the others.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon 48" x 18" x 24" tank. The tank is mostly LPS. Substrate is sand, lots of rock with open spaces. I currently have tomini tang, sixline wrass, diamond goby and a chromis. I have had these fish for a couple years and they are doing great. I recently moved up from a 55 gallon to this 90 gallon. I am looking for any suggestions to what fish I could add to this tank. I am not opposed to rehoming the sixline if needed, but I would want to keep the others.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!
With an established sixline and tang adding new fish may be difficult. Probably your best bet is a basslet of some kind, clownfish, a Foxface, and other fish that are fairly tough.

gator05156

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I am looking for ideas for down the road. I have a 20 gal hex tank...so I have room up...but not much for a footprint. Tank is going to be(at this point) soft corals, pistol shrimp, pom pom and porceline crabs...I'm looking for 1 or 2 "show fish". Not into clowns, and not looking to spend hundreds of dollars. Plus for bright colors or fancy patterns, and that will coexist well. Thanks!

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So...I am looking for ideas for down the road. I have a 20 gal hex tank...so I have room up...but not much for a footprint. Tank is going to be(at this point) soft corals, pistol shrimp, pom pom and porceline crabs...I'm looking for 1 or 2 "show fish". Not into clowns, and not looking to spend hundreds of dollars. Plus for bright colors or fancy patterns, and that will coexist well. Thanks!
A firefish is the obvious answer. A few species and all are very pretty.

WalkerLovesTheOcean

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's many gobies, a few blennies, and like mentioned before there are firefish which are my favorite. If you'd like I could create a list of all the gobies and blennies that could be an option.

gator05156

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's many gobies, a few blennies, and like mentioned before there are firefish which are my favorite. If you'd like I could create a list of all the gobies and blennies that could be an option.
Trouble with the bottom dwellers is that I don't have much space down there.

Maga18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have an established 65G tank (RSM 250) that has been running with life rock only for 6+ months.

We are now are planning to make it FOWLR. We have been thinking a semi-aggressive community tank:

1. one small snowflake eel
2. one dwarf lionfish
3. a herbivore ( maybe Two Spot Bristle Tooth Tang?)

Does this sounds good?

What other good choices (easy care fish) for herbivores we have?

What about clean up crew? I guess snails will not last long - maybe an urchin?

Looks like we can do as much - or as little - sand bad as we like for these fish?

BTW, how do you get lion fish out of the bag, LOL, with all those venomous spikes?

TIA.

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have an established 65G tank (RSM 250) that has been running with life rock only for 6+ months.

We are now are planning to make it FOWLR. We have been thinking a semi-aggressive community tank:

1. one small snowflake eel
2. one dwarf lionfish
3. a herbivore ( maybe Two Spot Bristle Tooth Tang?)

Does this sounds good?
Yeah should work though it’s a bit small for the tang and eel
What other good choices (easy care fish) for herbivores we have?
Maybe a small puffer or blue throat trigger. Dwarf angel
What about clean up crew? I guess snails will not last long - maybe an urchin?
Urchin and brittle star. Large snails like Mexican turbos do well for me in my similar tank
Looks like we can do as much - or as little - sand bad as we like for these fish?
Yeah
BTW, how do you get lion fish out of the bag, LOL, with all those venomous spikes?
It’s a FOWLR so you can just pour it out as long as no weird chemical were added. You can use a net but there is a slight chance the spines will catch in which case you want to have a scissors on hand. A slotted serving spoon could work too.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back