sck90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I need your help, please.

I have a Carpenter's flasher wrasse and a Pintail fairy wrasse in a 10 gal Qt tank since August 28 th. They looked healthy when they arrived. I started copper treatment with copper power at 2.25 ppm August 29 th. Both fish had been eating, but the pintail was very skittish.

First few days, all good. Both fish eating well. Pintail still skittish, but at least I could see him eating.

Things started to bother me after about 4 days. I saw the carpenter beginning to scratch on pvc tubings. Pintail started to dart like crazy, to the point he smacked himself on walls and on the plexiglass top several times. I took the decision to dose Fritz Paracleanse (september 3rd), because I suspected flukes and being in Canada, I have no access to general cure or Prazipro. I also read that it is safe to use with copper, provided there is plenty of aeration (which there is). After 48 hours, fish seemed a little better, but still not acting perfectly normal. They were eating ok, but as much as I would have hoped.

Second Paracleanse treatment after 7 days (september 10th). Carpenter's looked ok, eating well yesterday and today. Pintail did not eat since September 10th in the morning.

Today, on the afternoon, Pintail was in a corner, not moving at all. Carpenter ate, but I saw him dart and scratch again. I thus decided to do a freshwater bath to the Carpenter (but not to the pintail, because he was not feeling good enough). After 4 min, a ton of flukes started to come off the wrasse. From the eyes, skin, etc. I knew there was something wrong. Now it's confirmed : I am dealing with Neobenedenia flukes and paracleanse treatments did not work.

Note : I used paracleanse 4 times in the same quarantine tank (and same sponge filter) in the last weeks for other fish. I suspect praziquantel is no longer effective because of rapid bacterial degradation.

I think my only choice is hyposalinity. I was thinking doing a 50% waterchange this evening to bring salinity to 1.012 (it is 1.024 right now). This would also bring copper to 1.10 ppm approximately. I have cuprisorb on hand to remove the remaining copper.

Is this the best thing I could do ? I know I might not be able to save both wrasses, but I will do my best. Carpenter is not feeling good after the FW bath (probably because of the many flukes having left it's body).

How long should I do the hypo ? The Qt tank is only 10 gal, so the sooner they are out, the better, but I understand that treating adequately is the priority. I thought maybe I could do another copper treatment after the hypo. As of today, they have been in copper for 2 weeks.

Thank you in advance.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Carpenter's flasher wrasse and a Pintail fairy wrasse in a 10 gal Qt tank since August 28 th. They looked healthy when they arrived. I started copper treatment with copper power at 2.25 ppm August 29 th. Both fish had been eating, but the pintail was very skittish.

First few days, all good. Both fish eating well. Pintail still skittish, but at least I could see him eating.

Things started to bother me after about 4 days. I saw the carpenter beginning to scratch on pvc tubings. Pintail started to dart like crazy, to the point he smacked himself on walls and on the plexiglass top several times. I took the decision to dose Fritz Paracleanse (september 3rd), because I suspected flukes and being in Canada, I have no access to general cure or Prazipro. I also read that it is safe to use with copper, provided there is plenty of aeration (which there is). After 48 hours, fish seemed a little better, but still not acting perfectly normal. They were eating ok, but as much as I would have hoped.

Second Paracleanse treatment after 7 days (september 10th). Carpenter's looked ok, eating well yesterday and today. Pintail did not eat since September 10th in the morning.

Today, on the afternoon, Pintail was in a corner, not moving at all. Carpenter ate, but I saw him dart and scratch again. I thus decided to do a freshwater bath to the Carpenter (but not to the pintail, because he was not feeling good enough). After 4 min, a ton of flukes started to come off the wrasse. From the eyes, skin, etc. I knew there was something wrong. Now it's confirmed : I am dealing with Neobenedenia flukes and paracleanse treatments did not work.

Note : I used paracleanse 4 times in the same quarantine tank (and same sponge filter) in the last weeks for other fish. I suspect praziquantel is no longer effective because of rapid bacterial degradation.

I think my only choice is hyposalinity. I was thinking doing a 50% waterchange this evening to bring salinity to 1.012 (it is 1.024 right now). This would also bring copper to 1.10 ppm approximately. I have cuprisorb on hand to remove the remaining copper.

Is this the best thing I could do ? I know I might not be able to save both wrasses, but I will do my best. Carpenter is not feeling good after the FW bath (probably because of the many flukes having left it's body).

How long should I do the hypo ? The Qt tank is only 10 gal, so the sooner they are out, the better, but I understand that treating adequately is the priority. I thought maybe I could do another copper treatment after the hypo. As of today, they have been in copper for 2 weeks.

Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Thank you in advance.
I think hypo is you best solution against Neobenedenia, but I’m surprised that so many of them survived the paracleanse ….

I think your first drop should be a bit slower. You only need to go down to 1.012 for Neo, but you might want to go to 1,009 to control ich as well.

Here is my post about hypo:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello,

Thank you in advance.
Dump the paracleanse and switch to PraziPro. As you found, Paracleanse despite its claim and the ingredients have low level of Prazi and formalin making it ineffective. Hyposalinity will offer temporary relief for flukes but not the answer. Hypo is also stressful at times to fish and fish must be monitored but should work better than paracleanse.

OP
OP
S

sck90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think hypo is you best solution against Neobenedenia, but I’m surprised that so many of them survived the paracleanse ….

I think your first drop should be a bit slower. You only need to go down to 1.012 for Neo, but you might want to go to 1,009 to control ich as well.

Here is my post about hypo:
Thank you, Mr Hemdal. I was hoping I could do hypo for less than 35 days. I am a little bit scared of going to 1.009, because I dont have an ATO and I must sometimes leave house for about 36h, so I am afraid I won't be able to keep 1.009 precisely...

OP
OP
S

sck90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dump the paracleanse and switch to PraziPro. As you found, Paracleanse despite its claim and the ingredients have low level of Prazi and formalin making it ineffective. Hyposalinity will offer temporary relief for flukes but not the answer. Hypo is also stressful at times to fish and fish must be monitored but should work better than paracleanse.
Thank you. I have no access to prazipro in Canada...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Mr Hemdal. I was hoping I could do hypo for less than 35 days. I am a little bit scared of going to 1.009, because I dont have an ATO and I must sometimes leave house for about 36h, so I am afraid I won't be able to keep 1.009 precisely...
For Neo, people sometimes shorten hypo to 21 days, but I don’t like to take on the risk. The life cycle indicates that the eggs must hatch in 12 days and then the hypo kills the larval flukes…but I like an extra margin of safety.

OP
OP
S

sck90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Neo, people sometimes shorten hypo to 21 days, but I don’t like to take on the risk. The life cycle indicates that the eggs must hatch in 12 days and then the hypo kills the larval flukes…but I like an extra margin of safety.
After Hypo, should I observe only, or treat with copper again ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After Hypo, should I observe only, or treat with copper again ?
Your copper time was a bit short. Here’s a trick though - after the fish come out of hypo, take them up to 2.25 ppm coppersafe for 72 hours, and move them out while the copper is still at full dose. That works well.

OP
OP
S

sck90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your copper time was a bit short. Here’s a trick though - after the fish come out of hypo, take them up to 2.25 ppm coppersafe for 72 hours, and move them out while the copper is still at full dose. That works well.
Sounds good. Will do.

I will bring salinity down to 1.018 tonight and to 1.012 tomorrow pm.

Thank you very much. Appreciate your help.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Sounds good. Will do.

I will bring salinity down to 1.018 tonight and to 1.012 tomorrow pm.

Thank you very much. Appreciate your help.
Dont stall it. You can drop salt level fairly quickly but need to raise VERY Slowly

OP
OP
S

sck90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE :

Fish are now in hypo at 1.010 since 1:00 pm (this gives me room if I can't top off for a day).

I am very happy : Carpenter wrasse is doing very good, swims a lot, eats a lot. Pintail is also feeling better : still skittish, but a least I just saw him pick and eat a mysis. Will feed the fish at least 3-4 times per day to make them fat again.

Thanks again for your help. I hope the entire hypo treatment will go well.

Have a nice weekend!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • No...

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back