New reefer needs advice

Barman117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello..I'm new to reefing so I decided to start out with 3 300 gallon tanks and a 100 gal frag tank. 2 of the 300 are on 1 water supply and 1 and the frag tank are on another. My remote set up area in my garage is becoming crowded as I also added a 200 gal mixing/ ATO station as well. My filtration to this point starts with hyper mag filters, then fleece rollers, then to protein skimmer and this is where I'm stuck I don't know the best way to finish this..uv lights , algea scrubber ect..the tanks will all house fish and coral. I'm trying for the latest and best equipment as I want the least amount of maintenance I can design..thank you for any help

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A refugium would be a great option for your system if you have the room. They strip nutrients out of the water. They also provide a great breeding ground for many beneficial organisms.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello..I'm new to reefing so I decided to start out with 3 300 gallon tanks and a 100 gal frag tank. 2 of the 300 are on 1 water supply and 1 and the frag tank are on another. My remote set up area in my garage is becoming crowded as I also added a 200 gal mixing/ ATO station as well. My filtration to this point starts with hyper mag filters, then fleece rollers, then to protein skimmer and this is where I'm stuck I don't know the best way to finish this..uv lights , algea scrubber ect..the tanks will all house fish and coral. I'm trying for the latest and best equipment as I want the least amount of maintenance I can design..thank you for any help
Jumping right in with both feet are ya!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Barman117
What experience do you have with any aquarium systems?

What is your goal in reef keeping?

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm new to reefing so I decided to start out with 3 300 gallon tanks and a 100 gal frag tank.
uh that’s all…and you are “just starting out”?
…do you need any broke but well meaning friends? LOL
You got contingencies in case you fail or decide the hobby isn’t for you? Just thinking that’s quite a investment for starting a hobby with a high fail rate…
… Good luck (genuine)

C12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a bit much for just starting up, It's a huge investment and there are a lot of risks and responsibilities that come with it. 3 300 gallon tanks and a 100 gallon frag tank is like a full time job man. Don't mean any disrespect, but you sure you're cut out for that? It might be smarter just to start with 1 tank, make sure things are going good and you enjoy the hobby, and then go crazy from there if you want.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a bit much for just starting up, It's a huge investment and there are a lot of risks and responsibilities that come with it. 3 300 gallon tanks and a 100 gallon frag tank is like a full time job man. Don't mean any disrespect, but you sure you're cut out for that? It might be smarter just to start with 1 tank, make sure things are going good and you enjoy the hobby, and then go crazy from there if you want.
So true, I got one, that is enough for me!

chip shop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on your fish stocking lvl but would just be careful not to take to much natural food away from corals

get-salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
First off.. Hello and glad you've decided to "Dive" into the reefing part of the saltwater hobby!

(2) 300 GALLON AND (1) 100 GALLON FOR JUST STARTING OUT ?!! lol didnt mean to shout !
My gosh and Good lord !
Good for you man, do it if you have the time but ultimately and obviously your wallet is extremely DEEP ! That (sounded weird).

lastly, what the heck is a hydroponics filter ??? im very curious !

Good luck and happy reefing !

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Lord. You ain't playin' around are ya?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 87 49.4%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 42 23.9%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 45 25.6%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back