New tank build.

Live or dry rock for future build ( 400 lbs used live rock. Needed for new tank 9 mo from now)

• Let it dry out for easy storage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep it wet/live in trash bin

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

asperkolls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of building a new house. As any aquarium nerd would do, a new huge aquarium is the main feature for this house. My plan is to use a long penninsula aquarium as a room dividor between the kitchen/breakfast area and the family room. I also plan in having a filter room in the basement. The architect triple joisted the floor under the aquarium so i can have it on the main level. I'm thinking 120x24x30 inch. I found some discounted live rock (150 dollars for like 400 lbs). The tank and house will not be ready till next summer.

The question is, would you guys let the live rock dry out and just reintroduce the biologic biodiversity with some fresh live rock when I set up the tank (it would be much easier for me for storage this way.)

Or would you place it in a bin with saltwater and just let the water agitate and place heater for the next 9 mo.

I bought 100 lbs of live rock from this same fish keeper last year for my 100 gallon Sw aquarium and it was basically pest free... nothing really undesired showed up in last year.

Do I need to do water changes or just top off?

Once i move in to the new house, The display tank will be around 400 gallons and I will take my time to cycle well.

If I leave it in water with heater and pump for next 9 mo should I use powerhead or put large airstone at bottom of bin?

should i add some inverts into the storage bins? A friend advised some emrald crabs.

if i do, will i need to feed them or will they just graze in the live rock? Light?

Any other inverts?

Any other tips?

my filter plans currently include a 275 ibc tote for mixing saltwater with an RO water source. An additional 275 open from top for holding alot of live rock.

I plan on having the water flow from tank overflows into the live rock tank. I'm thinking then I will have that overflow into my old 220 gallon aquarium. I plan on baffling that and having a large skimmer and refugium within that tank and then return to the display tank.

Should I flip it and have a separate tank as the refugium and then have that overflow into the live rock tank then to the 220. Would the macroalge/cheato benefit from the detritus?

any alternate configurations?

I want to make this system as maintanance free as possible.

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Screenshot_20240913_212618_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although on a little smaller scale, I keep any live rock in a tank with no lights with a heater and power head going. A large clarkii keeps the cycle going. I had mine going like this for a year and some. When I found a deal on a 120 I already had most of the rock and is currently in the new tank now cycling the new system.

Back