Tank setup/Live Rock questions

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank yall for the info! It seems the recommendation for rock quantity is 1-2lbs per gallon, is this accurate? What do yall recommend through your experiences?
It depends on the look you want and the density of said rock.
This is GLR 150lbs in my ext170.
Tank is 135 gallons, inside dims, on a 59×30×21 tank.
20240722_134253.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240722_134253.jpg
Kudos to your display. I second Gulf Live Rock.

@Tigershark22
Consider doing bulk shipping with direct pickup at the airport. Hitchhikers on diver collected rock are very diverse and from my perspective very desirable.

When I aquacultured Texas “holy rock” in a greenhouse, I purchased five 200lb shipments of GLR that I picked up at the airport. In one case, George sent me an underwater picture of a showpiece that I wanted for my 120G display tank. I got the picture at 9am which I immediately ok’d and put that same rock in my established reef at midnight on the dame day.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos to your display. I second Gulf Live Rock.

@Tigershark22
Consider doing bulk shipping with direct pickup at the airport. Hitchhikers on diver collected rock are very diverse and from my perspective very desirable.

When I aquacultured Texas “holy rock” in a greenhouse, I purchased five 200lb shipments of GLR that I picked up at the airport. In one case, George sent me an underwater picture of a showpiece that I wanted for my 120G display tank. I got the picture at 9am which I immediately ok’d and put that same rock in my established reef at midnight on the dame day.
Thanks! I did 35lbs GLR in my ext 50. I added 1 piece of dead rock from an old system and 4 pieces of lfs simulated live rock with alot of corraline.
Cant go wrog with GLR.
20240727_130622.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am receiving 10 pounds of reef rubble from KP Aquatics before noon today. It will be used to increase diversity in my “walk on the wild side”.

PS: Shipment arrived as I was typing this post.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 20

TeeSquared1214

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah 1-2lbs is a good rule of thumb. Don't be afraid to go a little under or over as long as your scape checks all the boxes.
Found this thread to be super helpful as I'm currently setting up my first saltwater/reef tank in a 100g. Would you mind elaborating what "all the boxes" to be checked are? Or is this subjective to each person?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240722_134253.jpg
How long since the rock was delivered into your system? Do some close up pictures. I am addicted to this STUFF.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certainly open to all suggestions. I’ve read in prior threads that the consensus on tank quality centers around the diversity of ocean live rock. And I value that type of quality above other things, but the price difference between all live rock and doing a lot with dry rock is staggering for the amount of rock I suppose I need. As to why I was wondering if the same biodiversity could potentially be accomplished with a hybridized method, even if it takes longer. I don’t necessarily know what aesthetic I would prefer for the tank rock yet, other than wanting a good viewing setup. I just don’t necessarily know how to properly setup any sort of aquascape with live rock.
Greetings from Austin. It is not necessary to use a large amount of rock in your aquascaping. I like open spaces for good circulation. Provide one or two island for shelter and get dither fish to inhabit your open spaces.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back in the day, I found my live rock a little at a time, searching Craig's List and visiting small, hole in the wall LFSs. One of thse was about an hour and a half away, but worth it. I don't think I paid more than 3 bucks a pound. And the priced back then were about the same as now.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 50 is one month old.
The 170 is 3 months old.
A few.
20240429_172219.jpg
20240429_171505.jpg
20240429_171441.jpg
20240722_134307.jpg
The reef rubble from KP is good looking for aquacultured. I prefer uncured diver collected live rock. With this shipment were some beautiful flame scallops and sponges.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
Tigershark22

Tigershark22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings from Austin. It is not necessary to use a large amount of rock in your aquascaping. I like open spaces for good circulation. Provide one or two island for shelter and get dither fish to inhabit your open spaces.
Howdy!
What do you mean by providing islands for shelter?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good advice! Here is another tip. I take pieces of rubble and drill a hole in the middle for frag plugs with posts, or just glue frag discs to the rubble. Then my coral can be glued to something so the urchin and the pistol shrimp wont flip it over, but I can still move it around to make sure it is in a happy place.

ksliech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great discussion here, as I’m also setting up a 60G and come from the old school of all ocean live rock from a long time ago! I have a big pile of Marco Rocks soaking, but have decided to get around 20-25lbs of really nice Australian LR and do the rest with the dry rock. Doing all real LR is really expensive these days, but I do think there’s a big value in getting the biodiversity that comes with them right off the bat.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this thread to be super helpful as I'm currently setting up my first saltwater/reef tank in a 100g. Would you mind elaborating what "all the boxes" to be checked are? Or is this subjective to each person?
#1 Make sure the fish and inverts have places (caves & crevices) to hide this is necessary in case there is any aggression from tank mates. #2 Make sure you have lots of usable area on your scape for coral, and if you plan on keeping more aggressive coral include islands away from the main structures. Some corals will sting nearby corals until they die and take the space for themselves (do your research on every coral you buy). Some other corals like green star polyp and xenia will grow incredibly fast and outcompete other corals for space. #3 Use glue or epoxy (or both) to secure your rocks to each other if needed (don't glue them to the bottom of the tank). #4 Don't block your flow. Deadspots (places where flow can't reach) will happen, don't worry too much, if you don't mind too much you can adjust your rockscape to get rid of them, but you'll be tinkering forever. The best solution to these is getting a random flow nozzle like Innovative marine's spinstream.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back