No clue what this thing is

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thing looks like an empty feather duster tube but I was watching it and two tendrils shot out and threw some waste out then retracted. I am absolutely positive it is not a feather duster, thoughts?

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I haven't glued it yet I'm still not sure If it is a vermetid, the web I thought I saw was a cat hair. I'm in no rush because I have no corals or fish. Its tendrils seem a little long to be a vermetid, and when it goes back into the tube I can't see any foot like the vermetids have. @ISpeakForTheSeas

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I haven't glued it yet I'm still not sure If it is a vermetid, the web I thought I saw was a cat hair. I'm in no rush because I have no corals or fish. Its tendrils seem a little long to be a vermetid, and when it goes back into the tube I can't see any foot like the vermetids have. @ISpeakForTheSeas
Knew I'd missed a thread earlier- yeah, with the two long tendrils sticking out and the tube being in the rocks, it's most likely a Spionid worm. The coral-boring varieties are often harmful, but most kinds are only a problem if their numbers grow too large.

OP
OP
BristleWormHater

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knew I'd missed a thread earlier- yeah, with the two long tendrils sticking out and the tube being in the rocks, it's most likely a Spionid worm. The coral-boring varieties are often harmful, but most kinds are only a problem if their numbers grow too large.
I'm thinking its a spionid worm, but I was doing more digging and looks a lot like a chaetopterid/parchment worm, thoughts?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking its a spionid worm, but I was doing more digging and looks a lot like a chaetopterid/parchment worm, thoughts?
Chaetopterid worm - they're very similar to Spionid worms, but they tend to prefer burrowing in the sand instead of in the rocks, and they reportedly tend to have longer palps.

That said, I say probably because to make a proper ID involves removing the worm from its tube and getting pics of the body out of the tube, which just isn't feasible.

Generally, these aren't a problem unless their numbers start getting out of hand.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 43 78.2%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 7.3%
Back