Orange spotted turbo snail disappeared.

namlessdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently terrified!! I bought a relatively large and expensive (10$) orange spotted snail. I was acclimating him and had the bag he was in on the side of my tank. I look away to run some ammonia tests and when i looked back it disappeared. I looked in my tank but i saw no signs of it and it is pretty large. I looked all over my house cz maybe it ran out of the tank but also no signs.
Is it possible that it dug itself under the sand? Is that common behavior?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your apprehension and anxiety, and I know (or at least believe) that it comes from a feeling of wanting the best for the pets in our care, but please don't be terrified. Posting here for help means that you are already more committed, and qualified, than like 70% of the people who try to keep these unusual pets.

I'm not sure exactly what an 'Orange Spotted Snail' is, though I'm sure the R2R experts will be right behind me educating us both - I am NOT an expert.

But first, please do a thorough look-a-round in the area of your tank and stand and anywhere else. If your snail climbed out of the tank, do not despair, many (most?) snails can and will survive. Many can sort of seal water inside their shell when they're out of water, so they can last a long time on your carpet.

What I can also say is that I have more than one variety of snails and indeed other critters that you'd like to think would move at, well, a snail's pace, but if you turn your attention for a moment, they will be gone. Yes, a lot of snails will dig down into the sand, and they can go quickly, way faster than you may think.

Tomorrow, or in a few days, add some good food to the tank, like some frozen mysis or brine shrimp. Many times snails and other motile (moving) inverts will respond and come out of hiding and practically 'swarm' that food you've added.

Best of luck with your snail and tank!

Last edited:

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately without knowing the species of the snail, it is impossible to say. Some burrow, most usually do not (turbo snails are in the latter category). I am pretty confident it will turn up somewhere eventually though :)

OP
OP
N

namlessdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately without knowing the species of the snail, it is impossible to say. Some burrow, most usually do not (turbo snails are in the latter category). I am pretty confident it will turn up somewhere eventually though :)
I looked up pictures to find the exact one and found this. It is identical to the one i bought. She was fast for sure and still showed no sign in the tank. I am tempted to go digging around the sand bed to find it but that'd create such a mess in the tank and stress other fish so i wont.

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 4

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it mention an exact species or genera?

It has the little ‘snorkel’ like Nassarious snails, so if that’s what you have I believe it very likely burrows into the sand, and may come out at night or when you feed the tank. Snails also hide in rocks and everywhere else they can fit, even into your filter system. Don’t go digging, your snail will turn up eventually.

OP
OP
N

namlessdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it mention an exact species or genera?

It has the little ‘snorkel’ like Nassarious snails, so if that’s what you have I believe it very likely burrows into the sand, and may come out at night or when you feed the tank. Snails also hide in rocks and everywhere else they can fit, even into your filter system. Don’t go digging, your snail will turn up eventually.
It is too large to fit between my rocks so ill keep an eye out at night. There's no other place it can be.

Thanks for the help!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that doesn't appear to be any turbo species....I agree with the sand burrowing. Cool looking snail.....you might want to see if there is anymore info on that exact species. I have never seen it before....might not even be reef safe?

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked up pictures to find the exact one and found this. It is identical to the one i bought. She was fast for sure and still showed no sign in the tank. I am tempted to go digging around the sand bed to find it but that'd create such a mess in the tank and stress other fish so i wont.
Looks like a sand dwelling snail, Ive had a few of those and only see them occasionally, I wouldnt worry too much.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 31 36.9%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back