Organics (DOC) measurement methods for aquarium water

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yeah, hot sulfuric acid solution in tiny glass tubes at high internal pressure - not even gonna be in the same room as that while it's running. And if it busts, you've got a mercury clean-up too.
So, worse than running with scissors then.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, I'll bite.
My thinking going into this was that methods that are sensitive, real-time, and track biological activity (like BOD or pH) are more useful than methods that require shipping time and don't track biological activity. Was curious if going back over these methods and measurements would change my perspective - not really.
In a reef tank what are the sources of labile organic carbon?
Food is a big one right? Well, we have measured the remineralization of ground fish food, amino aids etc and it takes days to a week of remineralization for the large majority of the organic content to be finished breaking down by saltwater community.
Are there other large sources of labile organics that are gone so fast we're missing them?
Probably the DOC released by algae (and to some extent all photosynthetic organisms). We believe that algae blasted with light releases DOC from the excess sugar beyond the growth needs of the algae. But you and I failed to find any sign of significant increased digestible organics in the water from lighted algae even with a bunch of different methods - some that were sensitive. The likeliest explanation is that the algae release DOC gradually, that feeds bacteria at or near the surface of the algae, which makes quick work of the gradual DOC release. And thus when you or I measure the water, maybe there's nothing for us to find there because the handoff from algae to bacteria is so local and instant that we don't catch it in the water.

Exactly, it’s complicated. Linking a DOC level to the health of an aquarium might only be advocated by vendors of DOC measurement at this time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But yeah, hot sulfuric acid solution in tiny glass tubes at high internal pressure - not even gonna be in the same room as that while it's running. And if it busts, you've got a mercury clean-up too.

Oh man, so many memories...

I once had to walk back to my dorm from an advanced undergraduate lab with no pants on (just a borrowed lab coat) after a broken flask spilled a nasty purple inorganic chemical (a manganese carbonyl, I think) in tetrahydrofuran down my front.

I also had an experiment using the high pressure bomb reactor in that same class. You weren't allowed to be in the same room with it when pressurized, but use a mirror to look around a cinderblock corner to see if all was well. I had to check it at night and had my girlfriend with me as backup. We could not figure out how to turn the lights on in the bomb room and she was quite stressed by the situation as I had to hold a light around the corner. Still married to her. :)

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, so many memories...

I once had to walk back to my dorm from an advanced undergraduate lab with no pants on (just a borrowed lab coat) after a broken flask spilled a nasty purple inorganic chemical (a manganese carbonyl, I think) in tetrahydrofuran down my front.

I also had an experiment using the high pressure bomb reactor in that same class. You weren't allowed to be in the same room with it when pressurized, but use a mirror to look around a cinderblock corner to see if all was well. I had to check it at night and had my girlfriend with me as backup. We could not figure out how to turn the lights on in the bomb room and she was quite stressed by the situation as I had to hold a light around the corner. Still married to her. :)
HaHa, I wonder if such things still happen anymore (the incidents, not marrying college sweethearts).

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there other large sources of labile organics that are gone so fast we're missing them?
Do you not see the elephant in the room? Or are you walking around the hot porridge like a cat? I´ll think that the rise in - at least fast - DOC in many aquarium is not anything else than a result of marketing a way to get rid of algae - or let us say pest control

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you not see the elephant in the room? Or are you walking around the hot porridge like a cat? I´ll think that the rise in - at least fast - DOC in many aquarium is not anything else than a result of marketing a way to get rid of algae - or let us say pest control

Sincerely Lasse
If you mean carbon dosing, then yeah I guess I didn't include that as a fast organic source because I was thinking of mostly the less obvious sources, rather than those explicit intentional additions.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that active dosing of fast DOC is one of the most common methods today - every brand have its own recipe and we other take the Vodka bottle. There is even salts that include organic carbon.

Sincerely Lasse

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that active dosing of fast DOC is one of the most common methods today - every brand have its own recipe and we other take the Vodka bottle. There is even salts that include organic carbon.

Sincerely Lasse

Of the total DOC added per day (whatever that is) do we have a rough idea what fraction of the total is from carbon dosing?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of the total DOC added per day (whatever that is) do we have a rough idea what fraction of the total is from carbon dosing?

I think that would require a very intensive investigation of how much DOC a fish, a macroalgae, or a coral for example, excretes.

That said, my expectation is that the total DOC added by a heavy carbon dosing users (as in my tank) is much higher than other sources.

I also think that the effects of one type of organic may be entirely different than a second organic. Lumping them together has some merit (GAC depletion monitoring, etc.), but also has limitations.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - It does not matter how much the fast DOC it is of the total organic C input (feed, photosynthesis or what ever) - what´s matter is how digestible it is and if it is a limiting factor.

Organic carbon dosing (as it is done among aquarists) is the same as the use instant coffee and it is a very fast DOC fraction. I do not either like the term carbon dosing because it does not differ between inorganic Carbon and organic Carbon. When we dose the alkalinity part we do carbon dosing - but inorganic. when we need bacteria growth we dose carbon - but organic

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would require a very intensive investigation of how much DOC a fish, a macroalgae, or a coral for example, excretes.
We might find useful information about DOC production by coral and macro algae. Not seen a thing for fish but we might generate a useful estimate for a range for our discussion.
That said, my expectation is that the total DOC added by a heavy carbon dosing users (as in my tank) is much higher than other sources.
Just for laughs, 1 gram of fish food in 100 gallons is 2.6 ppm DOC if the food is 100% organic carbon ( GAC dinner). Maybe 1 ppm is more realistic if it is a high protein meal. 1 mL vinegar per gallon aquarium water is about 5 ppm DOC. Who knows what percent of that 1 ppm fish food becomes labile DOC, but this quick and dirty estimate supports your notion that carbon dosing is a large source of labile carbon.

I also think that the effects of one type of organic may be entirely different than a second organic. Lumping them together has some merit (GAC depletion monitoring, etc.), but also has limitations.

In the limited number of papers I have read, saccharides are the labile DOC villains which are produced by algae. Have not come across studies using amino acids or proteins to stress coral or investigate microbiome structure and function shifts.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We might find useful information about DOC production by coral and macro algae. Not seen a thing for fish but we might generate a useful estimate for a range for our discussion.

Just for laughs, 1 gram of fish food in 100 gallons is 2.6 ppm DOC if the food is 100% organic carbon ( GAC dinner). Maybe 1 ppm is more realistic if it is a high protein meal. 1 mL vinegar per gallon aquarium water is about 5 ppm DOC. Who knows what percent of that 1 ppm fish food becomes labile DOC, but this quick and dirty estimate supports your notion that carbon dosing is a large source of labile carbon.

In the limited number of papers I have read, saccharides are the labile DOC villains which are produced by algae. Have not come across studies using amino acids or proteins to stress coral or investigate microbiome structure and function shifts.

That food calculation would be a max, but metabolized organics and those released back as particles wouldn’t be doc.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That food calculation would be a max, but metabolized organics and those released back as particles wouldn’t be doc.

I imagine in an aquarium POC to DOC conversion happens on settled particles.

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To some extent, yes, but lots of the POC coming from fish poop may be whole bacteria.
Yes, good point.

Would you expect all that poop bacteria added to the system to survive though? Food supply would certainly appear to be very depleted to the poor things once they leave the gut, and to add insult to injury, the surface biofilm potentially too over crowded to accept new tenants.

I am going to guess a higher trophic level organisms eat the liberated fish poop bacteria and poops out its own batch of refugees. And maybe the non-bacteria content of all this pooping is what is digested by cleanup heterotrophs to produce the DOC. Another guess is that the resulting DOC is not labile.

I seem to be losing the plot. Why do I care about the level of DOC? :)

Dan_P

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note - by nature many poop bacteria are obligate anaerobs - not surviving in oxygenated tank water.

Sincerely Lasse
Excellent point! Poor things.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back