Overkill Copepod sustainment system for Reef

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering what people would think of this, so I plan on buying a Milk Fridge, they're small fridges usually with holes in the sides so you can plumb tubing from usually Milk.
I've seen people use them to hold their liquid foods and automatically dose the aquarium.
The first thing I would set up is Phyto dosing in small amounts every day but I've heard that if you leave phyto in a vessel, it can crush itself under it's own weight while it settles.
I found this small magnetic stirrer that can operate in cool conditions 4°C and from what I've gathered, I don't want to keep the Phyto in a temp higher than 5°C.
Do you think it's overkill to implement a magnetic stirrer that will likely spin on it's lowest setting constantly agitating phyto?
I understand I could use air but I kind of want the stirrer for other projects aswell.
I also figure the stirrer could allow me to increase the volume of Phyto I keep in the milk fridge at any given time because it will be turbid keeping the Phyto suspended.
Most of this is hypothetical because it's a huge money sink of an idea.
The fridge would be like $450, I already have the doser but for arguments sake it was $650 the stirrer is $250 so it's basically $1350 for me to automate phytoplankton dosing for the longest period of I'm thinking around one month to prevent sterillity issues.
But yeah the magnetics stirrer or $250 is literally being paid so I don't have to mix up the Phyto from the fridge myself daily every month.
I was even thinking it might be possible to keep the stirrer on a digital seconds programmable timer like the HydroAxis ones.
Let me know your thoughts. I haven't really invested into anything yet other than the doser because I always figured the doser will have some place with my tank, whether it be topping Alk two part or NO3PO4X. Thanks for reading.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after all that cost and effort, what would be the benefit of dosing regularly during the day compared to just dosing manually in the evening?

Unless there is a good answer to that question, I personally would not be interested in the extra effort and cost.

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main aspect I like about it is automation. I work on my aquarium every day and I’m starting to think about filter rollers and some other equipment that can reduce my workload. I’ve always wanted to expand my existing system to streamline the maturation process of a much larger connected system and I figure if I can resolve some of these things now, I’ll hopefully know what to do when the time comes.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main aspect I like about it is automation. I work on my aquarium every day and I’m starting to think about filter rollers and some other equipment that can reduce my workload. I’ve always wanted to expand my existing system to streamline the maturation process of a much larger connected system and I figure if I can resolve some of these things now, I’ll hopefully know what to do when the time comes.
I 100% respect your endeavor towards automation and a lighter workload, and the stability and constant nature that can be achieved is worth working towards. I do encourage you to find what fits into your life or else this is no longer any fun. With that being said, I think much of the success in this hobby can be attributed to accepting that it is a labor of love.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show me a picture of your tank please...

OP
OP
reefsaver

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll admit that I’ve seen far better results in 3 years although this is my first tank. I have designed the system so I can plumb additional systems to the sump for expansion.

Attachments

• IMG_2584.png
    IMG_2584.png
    832.4 KB · Views: 14

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll admit that I’ve seen far better results in 3 years although this is my first tank. I have designed the system so I can plumb additional systems to the sump for expansion.
Nice!

I like your idea of automating the feed.. this would enablel you to keep more demanding fish..

By the way, the stirrer is better than air bubbling - just because bubbling leads to evaporation and also it would mean that the fridge has to work harder. There should not be a problem with any stirrer to work in low fridge temperatures.

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 70 82.4%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 16.5%
Back