Po4 rising fast

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.41 today so up .11 in 2 days with reduced feeding that’s .055 pd
Gonna put the LC on my doser set at 8ml ( diluted 50%)
For what it's worth, my tank routinely sits in the .4 phosphate range and my corals thrive. So numbers are just guidelines but does not mean a tank can not flourish in different parameters ranges also. Stability is key and a healthy diverse biome

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I typically have been .05 phosphate. For around 14 months at least.

I spiked it to .98 in a week
Lowered to .55 in 3 day
Hovered around .38 - .5 for a month
2 days ago, at 5:15 am I was .44
I changed Phosguard media and chemi pure elite (contains gfo) and by 9:15 pm I was .2

Whats the point? Through all of this I have had zero corals affected. I’ve had zero algae issues. If anything some of my corals got marginally better color / extension from the phosphates increasing

I wouldn’t worry about the number. Go by overall look of the tank and corals. See what they look best at.

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a test error it’s would be .04 without any food
I just pour 50ml of phyto in as usual , trying to keep everything the same
Phyto should reduce no
no phyto is nutrients, you can test it easily just like you would tank water as well. If its not an error like I said before its coming from some input.

If you change nothing how are you expecting different results lol, your po4 will continue to rise. Upping LaCl sure but there's an underlying problem you should solve

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, my tank routinely sits in the .4 phosphate range and my corals thrive. So numbers are just guidelines but does not mean a tank can not flourish in different parameters ranges also. Stability is key and a healthy diverse biome
I typically have been .05 phosphate. For around 14 months at least.

I spiked it to .98 in a week
Lowered to .55 in 3 day
Hovered around .38 - .5 for a month
2 days ago, at 5:15 am I was .44
I changed Phosguard media and chemi pure elite (contains gfo) and by 9:15 pm I was .2

Whats the point? Through all of this I have had zero corals affected. I’ve had zero algae issues. If anything some of my corals got marginally better color / extension from the phosphates increasing

I wouldn’t worry about the number. Go by overall look of the tank and corals. See what they look best at.
Did you guys read the thread? His po4 is consistently rising, you're making this more confusing. He does not have stability and is trying to find it, the answer is not to ignore an obvious extreme trend upwards (.11 in 2 days). Sounds like a train about to de-rail with no brakes.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you guys read the thread? His po4 is consistently rising, you're making this more confusing. He does not have stability and is trying to find it, the answer is not to ignore an obvious extreme trend upwards (.11 in 2 days). Sounds like a train about to de-rail with no brakes.
Extremely common in the hobby, perhaps you should do a little reading.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Read the entire thing
He disrupted his system 6 months ago in a reset. He’s using 8 yr old rock probably saturated in phosphate. It’s leaching out and numbers are rising. I understand it all

He went up .11 in 2 days. And .08 another time. Did you read my example? I went up .9 in a week. And I explained how I fixed it. No train derailing here. Just gotta stop it and get it under control

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks vested , it’s ok though
Everyone has their own ways

I’ve been through this process before so it’s just a matter of hooking up the lc and have a start dose , test tomorrow same time and adjust
Ideally I’d be at .3-.35 tomorrow and I’ll have a good idea on the adjustment but that would be great
6 days at .05 gets me down to .1 where I was before this sudden change

Unfortunately I’ve had a few events that happened at this same time ( ato dumped all my ro + traces) not a big problem but my corals are either enjoying the higher po4 or they liked the extra trace
I can only tell after a few days that I’m only adjusting the lc

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, does the rock / sand have a max limit it can absorb ?
I see some of the tanks with high po4 are high but stable
As I said , I want an intervention number and that’s .5
Could it go higher ? Who knows ??

Well, not that you can obtain. It rises as the phosphate concentration rises.

OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

Overshot a bit but no biggy

Will reduce 8ml to 4 and check tomorrow, targets .2

Attachments

• IMG_3502.jpeg
    IMG_3502.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
S

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update
Reduced lc 2ml so just 2ml dose now
I guess in a few days I’ll take it offline

Attachments

• IMG_3511.jpeg
    IMG_3511.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3512.jpeg
    IMG_3512.jpeg
    127.3 KB · Views: 12

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back