Power has gone out, will my fish be okay?

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other option is a clean whisk from the kitchen and whip it up like pancake batter. But in the future get a battery airstone. If you leave in tank and plug into outlet, they come on when power goes off. Fairly inexpensive option.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the EXACT reason why my next big-ish purchase is going to be a smaller dedicated generator that I can keep on my back covered porch. Just outside the window near my tank. I’m also going to purchase a Window unit for the window near the tank as well. In the event of an extended power outage in the summer. It should be enough to keep the room cool enough to not overheat the tank and the tank will be running as well.

For the winter outage I’ll just have to have and extra oversized heater to throw in there or something. Our winters aren’t too bad down here. But every now and then a beast of a winter storm comes through and we get it rough for a little while.

In a year or two I’m going to be installing a whole home generator and I won’t have to worry about it again

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the EXACT reason why my next big-ish purchase is going to be a smaller dedicated generator that I can keep on my back covered porch. Just outside the window near my tank. I’m also going to purchase a Window unit for the window near the tank as well. In the event of an extended power outage in the summer. It should be enough to keep the room cool enough to not overheat the tank and the tank will be running as well.

For the winter outage I’ll just have to have and extra oversized heater to throw in there or something. Our winters aren’t too bad down here. But every now and then a beast of a winter storm comes through and we get it rough for a little while.

In a year or two I’m going to be installing a whole home generator and I won’t have to worry about it again
Something to consider is UPS style generator that auto turns on when it goes out and you’re not home. Some of those big battery generators have options to plug into an outlet and come on like a UPS or as a standby just a bit later.

mchorse242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love in Florida and when hurricanes happen we lose power, for a LONG time (almost three weeks with Irma) believe it or not, everything in my 75 gallon lived through it each time!! We would fill a pitcher with the tank water and pour it back in, over and over, and stir surface every so often as well, lots of dedication needed for this as it was tome consuming, we also added new water when needed. My tank is in no way overstocked so that also helped I'm sure.

amatob4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are great for times like this. It's a portable aerator pump box that runs on D batteries. It clips on the side of a bucket to keep fishing bait alive. They're very cheap and Walmart has them. I'm pulling for your critters!!
Screenshot_20240825_085423_Samsung Internet.jpg
We just went through a 4day power outage. I was lucky enough to get a generator but when I was at work, these little battery packs saved my guys.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Kedsum ones with 2 hoses and stones. one in sump and other in display when I go away. plug into wall outlet and when power cuts, they come on. I plug them into the UPS that runs the pumps so when that goes down after 3 hours, the air stones run the rest of the time.

61-xmOVmR7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

WHAT AREA OF REEFING IS YOUR WEAKEST? EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWER IN THE COMMENTS!

• Chemistry and Nutrient Knowledge and Management.

Votes: 32 40.0%
  • Disease and Pest Control.

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • Livestock Care.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Technology and Equipment Knowledge.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 16 20.0%
Back