power out

sheepersheep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my power has gone out, and been out for about 5 hours now, are my tanks gonna be okay? i have a 32G and a 12G. i’m very worried

there isn’t an estimated return time because i think a power line is down.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my power has gone out, and been out for about 5 hours now, are my tanks gonna be okay? i have a 32G and a 12G. i’m very worried

there isn’t an estimated return time because i think a power line is down.
Aeration is key. Gotta get them oxygen. Your gonna have to draw some water out with a pot and just pour it back in. Do that quite a bit.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about your corals. They can survive without light for a time. And I wouldn't feed during the outage (unless it's a few days). And then minimally.

OP
OP
sheepersheep

sheepersheep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you find some way of causing surface agitation? Could even be you and a spoon
i have a little turkey baster i was blowing air in, but that doesn’t last long and this power outage seems like it’ll be overnight, i can’t stay up to mess with it all night

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a little turkey baster i was blowing air in, but that doesn’t last long and this power outage seems like it’ll be overnight, i can’t stay up to mess with it all night
Just do as often as you can.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Let me ask, did you manually aerate in the last five hours? If not, that'll give you an idea of the time they have as a minimum. You could just work the surface, say, every four hours (and work it well). That would be a middle of the night run and go back to sleep.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Walmart has battery powered air pumps for cheap. Go online and check if they are in stock, should give a location too. Don’t forget the batteries. They are bait bubblers or something like that.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider a battery backup. Something that'll run one powerhead each for a goodly amount of time. There are also powerheads out there with their own battery back up built in.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Walmart has battery powered air pumps for cheap. Go online and check if they are in stock, should give a location too. Don’t forget the batteries. They are bait bubblers or something like that.
And get Duracell or Energizer. I'm geeky enough to know they're the best.

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ph would be a good measure of urgency. Not perfect, but easy. I know o2 and co2 levels are independent but respiration of o2 usually results in co2, which will decrease ph.

OP
OP
sheepersheep

sheepersheep

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider a battery backup. Something that'll run one powerhead each for a goodly amount of time. There are also powerheads out there with their own battery back up built in.
that’s actually exactly what i did! someone who does have power lended me one and my dad magically had one, so im good at least for now

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 18 17.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 4.0%
Back