OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

10 months, no mishaps. Getting some good growth now. Planning one or two new rock towers and more coral. And.. more fish maybe. Maintenance is much easier now that I have figured out the in tank flow and added four filter socks to the two roller mats. The corals have all bounced back from the cooling event of last February.

The only ongoing issue is algae in my frag tank, that just won't quit. Battling down phosphates with LC with good success and investing in snails. Once that is finally sorted out, I will start trading my worthless cash for valuable SPS sticks again.

Achilles Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see it right - you also use the ocean motion from Seawater Engineering?

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re great with hardware, but you should to take some steps to be alerted when parameters start to go wrong. Some kind of aquarium computer could really help you out there. I can’t imagine not knowing my tank temperature for days (helped out a lot by an aquarium computer and additional redundancies), for example. Of course stuff happens and everyone makes mistakes, but that seems to be a pattern with your build.

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re great with hardware, but you should to take some steps to be alerted when parameters start to go wrong. Some kind of aquarium computer could really help you out there. I can’t imagine not knowing my tank temperature for days (helped out a lot by an aquarium computer and additional redundancies), for example. Of course stuff happens and everyone makes mistakes, but that seems to be a pattern with your build.

All true..:face-in-clouds:...

Last edited:
OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see it right - you also use the ocean motion from Seawater Engineering?

I just use two of the sea sweeps with Tunzes attached.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you amazed by the speed of the triggers?

My Crosshatch pair were extremely fast fish, darting across the tank a fraction of a second.

Also, any aggression with them? I didn't see any and they kind of kept to themselves, but before I shut down the tank I noticed random dead small fish and couldn't figure it out. Thought they or one of the tangs might have been intimidating when I wasn't looking.

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see it right - you also use

Running two rollermatt systems. It took some trial and error to get the plumbing right. It is critical to make sure that the pipes are vented and pours in smoothly to avoid erroneously tripping the float valves and pulling a whole roll through in a day. Right now... these two rolls last about two months.

The filter sock is 1 micron and helps polish the water. The clear hose I use to vacuum the display into the sock each week. I have to change the sock twice per week.

1619142986051.png
Very nice build, who makes these rollermat filters? I forgot the name of the company they are based out of Florida?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice build, who makes these rollermat filters? I forgot the name of the company they are based out of Florida?

Hey @ravi197699 - it’s been a while since we last communicated as I went MIA for a stretch. I hope your large tank is doing well! I believe the company you are inquiring about is SeaVisions and the product is called “C.A.D.S.”.
Here is a video from another member who runs the C.A.D.S. rollermat.

Post in thread 'Potomac Reef 2 - 500 gallons of fun!'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/potomac-reef-2-500-gallons-of-fun.668109/post-7189079

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ravi197699 - it’s been a while since we last communicated as I went MIA for a stretch. I hope your large tank is doing well! I believe the company you are inquiring about is SeaVisions and the product is called “C.A.D.S.”.
Here is a video from another member who runs the C.A.D.S. rollermat.

Post in thread 'Potomac Reef 2 - 500 gallons of fun!'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/potomac-reef-2-500-gallons-of-fun.668109/post-7189079
@crusso1993 - hello bud, tank is doing well, due to construction at home, I am re-starting the tank and now I have the opportunity to make few changes to the system, how do you like the quality and performance of the rollermat filer from seavisions? seems like solidly built equipment.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@crusso1993 - hello bud, tank is doing well, due to construction at home, I am re-starting the tank and now I have the opportunity to make few changes to the system, how do you like the quality and performance of the rollermat filer from seavisions? seems like solidly built equipment.

While I do not use anything from SeaVisions, I know a number of people that do and they all say the equipment is high quality and performance is very good.

Happy to hear you're firing the tank back up at home. I'll be on the lookout for updates on your build thread. That is unless you start a new one. If so then make sure to let me know.

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do not use anything from SeaVisions, I know a number of people that do and they all say the equipment is high quality and performance is very good.

Happy to hear you're firing the tank back up at home. I'll be on the lookout for updates on your build thread. That is unless you start a new one. If so then make sure to let me know.
will do bud, Happy New Year

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the Sea Visions - The rollermats work well. I cannot compare to anything similar, but, they have been reliable for me.

I used the dialyseas system for awhile - the conductivity controller crapped out and could not be replaced. I decided it would cost about the same to rebuild my own high capacity system rather than try to fix the dialyseas system. I wasn't super happy about that situation, but, the owner of Seavisions did make some reasonable offers to try and resolve the situation.

Are you amazed by the speed of the triggers?

My Crosshatch pair were extremely fast fish, darting across the tank a fraction of a second.

Also, any aggression with them? I didn't see any and they kind of kept to themselves, but before I shut down the tank I noticed random dead small fish and couldn't figure it out. Thought they or one of the tangs might have been intimidating when I wasn't looking.
YES, fast fish. Mine is not aggressive and there is this really funny fish huddling that goes on between my big naso tang, the trigger, and a big blue tang. When they see the trigger lock in in some nook, they all pile up on him like they are snuggling or just being annoying. It's really funny.

I almost feel like a 12 foot tank is barely big enough for that trigger, the way he swims.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the Sea Visions - The rollermats work well. I cannot compare to anything similar, but, they have been reliable for me.

I used the dialyseas system for awhile - the conductivity controller crapped out and could not be replaced. I decided it would cost about the same to rebuild my own high capacity system rather than try to fix the dialyseas system. I wasn't super happy about that situation, but, the owner of Seavisions did make some reasonable offers to try and resolve the situation.

YES, fast fish. Mine is not aggressive and there is this really funny fish huddling that goes on between my big naso tang, the trigger, and a big blue tang. When they see the trigger lock in in some nook, they all pile up on him like they are snuggling or just being annoying. It's really funny.

I almost feel like a 12 foot tank is barely big enough for that trigger, the way he swims.

Still haven't seen something faster in a tank and I just had 10 feet lol

OP
OP
FishTruck

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate update. I dosed 11/13 for Phosphate 0.08 ppm with 100 cc LC - target result 0.03. Went undetectable. I have some bleaching from my monti caps and digis - but I think they will rebound. Some of my styloporas have lost flesh where exposed to maximum light and current. Fish, LPS corals, acros, and anemones are fine. LC on hold and heavy feeding since 11/13.

1/24/2023 phos bounced back up only to 0.07. I think the rocks are finally leached out. Corals stable. Some montis still with patchy bleaching but hanging in there. Algae in the frag tank is finally controlled. I probably should have held my horses on the final dose of LC - but this is how we learn. I should be on target to start stocking the frag tank this Spring.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About now is the one year anniversary since I put water in this tank. Hopefully, by year 3 it won't look quite so empty. My small colonies and frags are growing nicely. I would say doubling in size every six months. You can see the coralline is slowly covering the bare bottom.

Here is a really poor full tank shot.

1619141113611.png

Here you can see the boss anthia from my old tank. This female transformed to replace the original male, and now rules over the squareback harem and the bimaculatus harem both. The colonies here I grew from little frags, except for the acroberry which I bought as a mini-colony six months ago.
1619141148644.png
The replica ancient pots make good places for the tangs to hide, and moving them around helps keep them interested in the tank and less interested in bullying each other.
1619141185554.png
This view is from the kitchen. We are looking at 12 feet of water. The clarity is not bad... but.. not crystal clear due to the barebottom and stuff being constantly stirred up.
So it’s about 2 years now.. any new Fts?!? Amazing build by the way!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back