Professional coral solutions phosphate reducer

JMaccaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got given this phosphate reducer by a local reefer. (https://professionalcoralsolutions.com.au/products/1l-phosphate-reducer™)

just wanted to ask if anyone knows what is actually in this stuff, the website says it is an iron based phosphate reducer it comes with 2 vials and says to mix them together in 1 litre of RODI.

here are the instructions
IMG_0374.jpg
and here is a picture of the 2 chemicals it says to mix together
IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0373.jpg

RandomReefer420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it's mostly lanthanum chloride. Lanthanum is known to harm tangs and clams and one way to remove it (and the phosphate) is to wet skim.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it's mostly lanthanum chloride. Lanthanum is known to harm tangs and clams and one way to remove it (and the phosphate) is to wet skim.
It clearly says iron, why do you think it's lanthanum?
So got given this phosphate reducer by a local reefer. (https://professionalcoralsolutions.com.au/products/1l-phosphate-reducer™)

just wanted to ask if anyone knows what is actually in this stuff, the website says it is an iron based phosphate reducer it comes with 2 vials and says to mix them together in 1 litre of RODI.

here are the instructions
IMG_0374.jpg
and here is a picture of the 2 chemicals it says to mix together
IMG_0372.jpg IMG_0373.jpg
This thread has information on dosing iron. I suspect this may help you with some answers.
RHF can most likely guide you more.
Thread 'Dosing Iron to reduce Phosphates?' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/dosing-iron-to-reduce-phosphates.230915/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The solutions are likely iron and hydroxide or carbonate making particles of GFO when you mix them. It likely leaves a lot of the particles in the system to dose them this way. I don’t know how much of an issue that it.

They do say tangs may be sensitive, “but will adjust” which sounds odd to me.

OP
OP
J

JMaccaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers guys I am going to mix it up in the coming days and see how it works. Initially I though it might of been Ferrous sulphate heptahydrate and Sodium Citrate but I have no way to prove it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheers guys I am going to mix it up in the coming days and see how it works. Initially I though it might of been Ferrous sulphate heptahydrate and Sodium Citrate but I have no way to prove it.

I cannot see what use the citrate would be. Ferrous citrate is a soluble dosing form sometimes used for iron dosing.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 12.5%
Back