QT Blue Tang - Copper Dosage and Ramping

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice in the instruction 5.00 indicates Over Range results and suggests debris may be in the sample. Also, very important that the water sample before pressing C1 is completely clear and no finger prints, and tester lid is snapped shut.

I suppose you may have some reagent packets which did not contain the correct amount of powder, I've never had that problem.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a color as dark as the one on the left. No wonder it reads +5

Just to check everything,

You are using The HI702 Hanna Copper HR checker with the HI702 reagent with a valid exp. date?

Gotta be an explanation here, somewhere.
Correct, here is my recording from this morning after the first test gave me 5ppm. This is me doing the second test correctly and comparing it to the 1st vial:

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the 5.0 is a faulty reading based on the indication in the instructions. If all else fails, you should call hanna and explain what your are seeing.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice in the instruction 5.00 indicates Over Range results and suggests debris may be in the sample. Also, very important that the water sample before pressing C1 is completely clear and no finger prints, and tester lid is snapped shut.

I suppose you may have some reagent packets which did not contain the correct amount of powder, I've never had that problem.
I make sure to clear the glass each time especially on the first one to calibrate it right. And the second time to get the proper color refracting, I’m pretty familiar with colorimeters and make sure no reflecting particles are in there. The first vial always looks twice as concentrated just from looking at the color so no wonders the reader reads that number. I don’t think it’s a reader malfunction but a reagent malfunction.

At first I thought maybe it keeps going darker overtime and needs to be tested right at the 45sec time frame and not a minute more, but even being extremely careful with the time didn’t help. I find it odd that it’s always in that order too and that I seem to use a “defective” pack every other time

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question, my tang is glued to the heater. Temp is 79, think he is cold or just liking the tiny space against the glass and the heater?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched the video and nothing obvious jumps out at me. I know getting all of the powder out of the packet can be a challenge, but your technique is sound. I saw you ran the test twice on the first sample and got 5.0 each time. For grins, see if you may have one or more flawede cuvette. Perhaps a blemish or dirt in the glass?

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have not seen him eat for 3 days. I have some nori on a clip for about 8h/d and dropped some crush algae wafer but have not seen him eating ouch any food. Else he looks good

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last question, my tang is glued to the heater. Temp is 79, think he is cold or just liking the tiny space against the glass and the heater?
I think the tang is looking for a place to hide and takes comfort in the size and location of the heater.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to hear he isn't eating. Try some frozen mysis cubes to see if they arouse his appetite. I also have had good luck getting tangs to quickly accept high quality pellets. Pellets have more protein and fat that the frozen cubes, so I try to get new fish to accept them ASAP.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS far as the color of the two samples side by side, part of the difference may be the lighting on the photo.

I make sure to clear the glass each time especially on the first one to calibrate it right. And the second time to get the proper color refracting, I’m pretty familiar with colorimeters and make sure no reflecting particles are in there. The first vial always looks twice as concentrated just from looking at the color so no wonders the reader reads that number. I don’t think it’s a reader malfunction but a reagent malfunction.

At first I thought maybe it keeps going darker overtime and needs to be tested right at the 45sec time frame and not a minute more, but even being extremely careful with the time didn’t help. I find it odd that it’s always in that order too and that I seem to use a “defective” pack every other time
I agree with everything you said here. Doesn't make sense. I would definitely call Hanna. Since the tang has not shown ich symptoms, I would probably do a 50 % water change just in case the high reading is close to accurate then wait until you talk to Hanna before you try to reset.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AS far as the color of the two samples side by side, part of the difference may be the lighting on the photo.

I agree with everything you said here. Doesn't make sense. I would definitely call Hanna. Since the tang has not shown ich symptoms, I would probably do a 50 % water change just in case the high reading is close to accurate then wait until you talk to Hanna before you try to reset.
The samples were next to each other with the same lighting and white background. I trust the 2nd measurement based on dilution and since the last test said 2.6 I did dilute a bit to get back closer to 2.5. I will do an other test in 1-2h and film the whole thing again

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use the standard 2-2.5 ppm

No - you can dose fully

I would not do dips. You should only need 2 prazipro rounds and I would not repeat copper. Hope this helps - Show a picture of your tank - would be nice to see
IMG_5939.jpeg
IMG_5936.jpeg
IMG_5937.jpeg
IMG_5938.jpeg

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to hear he isn't eating. Try some frozen mysis cubes to see if they arouse his appetite. I also have had good luck getting tangs to quickly accept high quality pellets. Pellets have more protein and fat that the frozen cubes, so I try to get new fish to accept them ASAP.
What pellets do you recommend? I’ve tried Hikari spirulina mysis without results a couple times. The fish doesn’t react to any of the food I put on there

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I shake it for a good 15-20sec then do the 45sec timer.
I wipe down the jars each time properly so there is no smudges, the color of the test is clearly different on both jars while being taken within minutes of each other. Same thing happened again this morning. First test reading 5, second reading 2.6.

Took a full video of the process I’m going to upload.

I’m so confused, going to add a bit of water to slowly raise salinity and reduce copper to 2.5.

No substrate/rocks in the tank, everything I have is listed in OP. Just 2 pvc and a plastic cover decoration.
I would consider asking an LFS if they could double check your levels. When you said you have 15 gallons in the tank, did you actually measure the 15 gallons (I'm assuming you did). Again - this seems obvious, but are you absolutely your measurement of copper is correct? Did you happen to check the expiration date on your reagents? I hope this helps - and I'm sure it's frustrating.

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exp 03/2029
Lot 0471.

Tank is 20L, not filled entirely to allow for any dilution needed for copper.

I measured from inside dimension (no glass sickness) and did not account for anything else since it’s bare bottom with very little space use from pvc/pump

OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally if I may ask, but my DT is blooming and just want to make sure it’s diatom and I don’t need to do anything in it as I’m still doing 2 more round of prazi #fishm#fishmedic

Attachments

• IMG_5885.jpeg
    IMG_5885.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5883.jpeg
    IMG_5883.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5884.jpeg
    IMG_5884.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5882.jpeg
    IMG_5882.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5881.jpeg
    IMG_5881.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5880.jpeg
    IMG_5880.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
alex37310

alex37310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider asking an LFS if they could double check your levels. When you said you have 15 gallons in the tank, did you actually measure the 15 gallons (I'm assuming you did). Again - this seems obvious, but are you absolutely your measurement of copper is correct? Did you happen to check the expiration date on your reagents? I hope this helps - and I'm sure it's frustrating.
Will do! This is the 2 tests from last night. Supposed to be 1.98ppm and 5.00

Attachments

• IMG_5931.jpeg
    IMG_5931.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 4

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I finally dosed copper and did the 50/50 but I’m having some issues.
First time using a Hanna tester, which I got for its reputation to be really reliable and accurate.
Dosage says 1oz for 20g. My tank is filled 15g.
So I did 11ml to get to around 1.2 and the hanna measured 2.5!!!
I’ve been watching different YouTube videos on how to do it and am doing everything as is!
It didn’t really make sense to me that 11ml would give me 2.5 so I did an other test and this time it read 1 and the color was much lighter!
Was very confused…
Added the other half then tested later and was at 5ppm!!!!
Same thing, I did a second test with the second vial, came out much lighter, and gave me 2.0!!
What the heck is going on?!!

I do want to say that I waited a few hours after dosing to measure to make sure there was no hot spots of high/low concentration
By the way - I'm confused. So forgive me - since there is a copper level problem. In your OP you say its a '20L' tank - but above you say its 15 gallons filled? Again maybe I'm misunderstanding - and I know you have 2 tanks - so if I'm misunderstanding - apologies.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back