OP
n240sxle91

n240sxle91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, did you not have several shops quote you on initial build?
I didn't. I probably should have.
c

can we get a full tank shot?
1721167643239.png

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm hoping to get some input on a new custom acrylic aquarium I just got. This is my second acrylic tank. The first was a 360 gallon from Acrylic Tank Manufacturing about 15 years ago, so I'm not new to custom acrylic aquariums.

My new one is a 180 gallon "L" shaped aquarium. I gave very clear blueprints for the dimensions, but there are several spots that are off by an inch or so. I'm also not real happy with the seams in a few spots. They look a little sloppy to me, and one spot has some tiny bubbles. My old aquarium has perfect looking seams. Another issue is the overflow in the corner comes out further than it was supposed to, so now it won't be hidden behind some brickwork that's on the wall. There was a hole drilled in the top that is in the wrong location, and finally one of the baffles in the custom sump they built is 1.5" too high. I have not talked to the company/guy who made it yet, because I wanted input from you guys first. I also don't want to name who built it until after I talk to them, because if they take care of me I don't want negative info about them online.

I paid $3400 for it, and feel like at that price it should be near perfect. I just don't understand how the dimensions can be off when very clear blueprints were given. I was told if they had any questions during the build that they would contact me, and they never contacted me. Am I out of line for wanting them to rebuild the aquarium the way I ordered it? Thanks for any input you have, and if you had a similar issue how did you deal with it?

Thanks!

20240708_110510.jpg
20240708_110441.jpg
20240708_110641.jpg
20240708_111053.jpg
If I paid 3400$ and gave blueprints and they didnt match it, id be sending it back immediately

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if u try and make it yourself? first build a small little tank... it would take a long time, u would also learn a cool thing!

DMathys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if youre still looking but Titan Aquatic Exhibits built my custom acrylic tank. Great to work with, build quality is insane and I would not hesitate to get another tank from them. Worth a look.

OP
OP
n240sxle91

n240sxle91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if u try and make it yourself? first build a small little tank... it would take a long time, u would also learn a cool thing!
That would be awesome, but unfortunately I currently don't have the time.
Not sure if youre still looking but Titan Aquatic Exhibits built my custom acrylic tank. Great to work with, build quality is insane and I would not hesitate to get another tank from them. Worth a look.
I am still looking, and I will for sure check them out. Thanks!

dmowrer018

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update everyone. I talked to the owner, and he didn't feel the seams were done poorly, and he didn't have a real answer as to why the dimensions were off other than when they're building custom stuff sometimes they need to make changes on the fly. I said I would have appreciated a phone call to discuss the changes because I would have made different choices based on that info. He didn't take ownership over any of the mistakes, but he did say that if I returned the aquarium and sump he would refund me. However, he would not make me a new tank. He was NOT a jerk about any of it, but again he didn't take responsibility for any of the errors.

I'm grateful he's willing to refund my money, but I still think his response was wrong. He should have told me that it wasn't built to the dimensions I asked for, and that he would make it right. Instead, I got to feel like this was my fault, I was being too picky, and he was doing me a favor by allowing me to drive 3.5 hours away to return everything. Again, I am grateful he's willing to take it back. He could have been a complete jerk about it, but he wasn't. That being said, he also wasn't accepting any responsibility for all the errors they made.

We left it that I would think about it some more before making my decision. I'm currently waiting for some quotes to come in before making my final decision.
Oh wow. I’m glad he was allowing you to return it for a refund especially since it was custom made. It’s a-shame Glasscages couldn’t do your design as I had them do my custom build and had a great experience. Joe and his team are great. Keep us posted. And can’t wait to see the tank.

OP
OP
n240sxle91

n240sxle91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can finally update everyone on the outcome. Kind of a long read, and I apologize if my thoughts aren't 100% clear! Hopefully this all makes sense :), and again sorry it's a long read lol

Midwest Custom Aquarium was the builder of my aquarium. While the owner wasn't a jerk about the problems, he certainly didn't take ownership of any of the issues. They told me that sometimes changes need to be made when they build custom aquariums. I then asked why wouldn't they just contact me if changes needed to be made. They didn't have an answer for that. Again, zero ownership of any of the issues.

They first gave me the option to return the aquarium, or keep it. I said I'd return it, and they recommended that I get some quotes before making my mind up. I took their advice, and got several quotes. Everyone I talked to was significantly higher in price (lowest bid was $5000, highest bid was $15,000). Because of the odd angles of the "L", the aquarium needed to be built using two part adhesive. This raises the price substantially. However, every manufacture I spoke with said that they have a 1/8" tolerance on dimensions, and any changes to the design are always run by the client before they are made.

Because of the high quotes I really only had two options at that point; return the tank and scrap my design altogether, or keep the tank. While gathering the quotes the builder did email me to tell me that the angled panel's seam could be sanded and polished to make the seam invisible. I emailed the builder back and told them that the other quotes came in pretty high, but at the same time going with one of those builders would mean I get the aquarium I wanted. I told them that I would accept a partial refund, or I would return the tank. It was up to them.

When Midwest Custom Aquarium replied back to me they said they would give me two options: $400 back; or I could bring the aquarium to them (3.5 hour drive both ways) and they would sand and polish the seam (1 hour). I wasn't going to spend 8 hours of my day to get a small part of my tank fixed, so that wasn't really an option for me. I replied and said I was thinking of more like 20% back, but would meet him in the middle at $500. He agreed, and has refunded me the money.

At this point I'm sure some of you will think I should have returned the aquarium, and some of you will think I should have gotten more back, or some of you will think I should have done some other scenario. You are all correct. I probably should have done something different. I just did what I thought was right for me, and wish I was never in this position in the first place.

So, this is how I came to my decision...
If before any of this happened I saw two aquariums for sale; one that was $5000 and exactly what I wanted, and another that was $3000 and very close to what I wanted, what would I do? I'm pretty sure I'd pick the $3000 one and say for $2000 less I can live with it not being perfect.

That all being said, the lower price for Midwest Custom Aquarium does not excuse them for taking zero responsibility for their errors, and for making the client feel like they're in the wrong. If changes needed to be made, all they had to do is call me and go over the changes instead of plowing ahead and assuming all would be fine.

So, to anyone who is thinking of buying from Midwest Custom Aquarium, my advice isn't to avoid them, but to do the following:
1. Have in writing what the dimensional accuracy will be of the finished product. (they were off by a lot on my build)
2. Tell them that any changes to the agreed upon design must be okayed by you before they are made.
3. Know that you are probably getting a good deal from them, but at a potential cost of not getting exactly what you ordered.

If you follow that advice, and you have a pretty easy build, I think you can/should still consider going with them. That being said, if you have a complicated build like mine, and it has to be right, you might want to consider other options.

One last thing... If Midwest Custom Aquarium is reading this, or any other builder, please take ownership of your mistakes when they are your mistakes. Don't blame the client for what is clearly your mistake. What should have been done when I first pointed out the mistakes was saying "I'm sorry. This is not to our standards, and we will make it right". That's class, and that's what separates quality businesses from the other guys.

Aquarium and Sump.jpg

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back