Quick phytoplankton culture question

Niko219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to attempt to raise clownfish fry as a little school project for my independent study period. I am planning and figuring everything else out, for now im just trying to get a steady phytoplankton culture going. I will be using the F2 phyto fertilizer

-do i need to continue to dose the fertilizer in the culture, or can i just dose it at the start and let the phyto use light to do the rest?

OP
OP
Niko219

Niko219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Sorry if I came off kind of dickish in my response. I was trying to respond really fast as my daughter was calling me from upstairs LOL. Reading it again, I was a bit patronizing. Happy Reefing!
Oh no not at all! I appreciate it

Reef By Steele

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I am going to attempt to raise clownfish fry as a little school project for my independent study period. I am planning and figuring everything else out, for now im just trying to get a steady phytoplankton culture going. I will be using the F2 phyto fertilizer

-do i need to continue to dose the fertilizer in the culture, or can i just dose it at the start and let the phyto use light to do the rest?
Have you gotten it figured out? Best way to run a culture is to dose the amount of F/2 to match the culture volume and provide intense light for 12-18 hours per day. When it reaches maturity split it and restart with 1/4 of the culture and refrigerate the rest to use to create the green water for the BBS in the fry tank.

OP
OP
Niko219

Niko219

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you gotten it figured out? Best way to run a culture is to dose the amount of F/2 to match the culture volume and provide intense light for 12-18 hours per day. When it reaches maturity split it and restart with 1/4 of the culture and refrigerate the rest to use to create the green water for the BBS in the fry tank.
Thank you! Im gonna try to raise the babies without bbs, instead just rotifers and tdo chromaboost.
IMG_4135.jpeg

b1llvance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise mine without bbs. Rotifers to tdo in a couple of days. I would not try a continuous culture of phyto. You start running into issues where any contamination doesn’t get diluted. Reef by Steeles advice is what I would recommend. Split your culture about weekly to every 10 days. I culture isochrysis and rhodamonus and can use about 1 part inoculate to 8-9 parts new saltwater and the cultures stay very clean.

deome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will need to dose F2, but I dose based on color, not a schedule. When the jar turns light green, I add a capful (5ml? 10ml? Ish?).

Reef By Steele

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I would harvest all but 16-32Oz per week and restart the culture every week with new F/2. If you want a continual culture (probe to crashing) you can add more F/2 on a schedule or as noted, if the culture starts to lighten.

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • No...

Votes: 33 38.8%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back