R/o water smells like sulfer, should I circulate?

LordClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

My R/O container and water is starting to smell like sulfer gas, ppm has raised to 2. Is this okay? Should I add a small powerhead to circulate to help with swamp issue? I heard this is from lack of oxygen and stagnant water

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you would need to have contaminants in the first place for water to begin fouling, do you keep your container sealed shut? When's the last time you replaced your rodi filters?

OP
OP
LordClownFish

LordClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of resin are you using?
i think you would need to have contaminants in the first place for water to begin fouling, do you keep your container sealed shut? When's the last time you replaced your rodi filters?
Aquatic Life Twist-in 4-Stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System RO/DI Filtration Units for Aquarium, 75 GPD https://a.co/d/0tAOmKn

This is the system I am using, the water is about 2 weeks old and is in a sealed brute container, should I dump the water and not use it?

The Rodi filters have had maybe 100 gallons produced , 3 months old

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none of that sounds old enough to create an issue - did you rinse the brute thoroughly before use? I know sometimes brutes can have chemical residue from manufacturing on them.

I'm looking at other possibilities because I keep my RODI in a barrel with a watertight screw top, so I don't think stagnation or lack of oxygen on its own would cause a foul smell.

OP
OP
LordClownFish

LordClownFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
none of that sounds old enough to create an issue - did you rinse the brute thoroughly before use? I know sometimes brutes can have chemical residue from manufacturing on them.

I'm looking at other possibilities because I keep my RODI in a barrel with a watertight screw top, so I don't think stagnation or lack of oxygen on its own would cause a foul smell.
Yes sir, I read that somewhere and I made sure to rinse and wipe it down. I added about 15 gallons of r/o this morning to it and it's reading 0-1 ppm, I've read it's probably just a small amount of sulfer which shouldn't harm anything. I'm going to use it, and if I see problems, I know what caused it. Lol

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 54 32.9%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 80 48.8%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 8 4.9%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 16 9.8%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 40 24.4%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 20 12.2%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 42 25.6%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back