Rain water instead of rodi

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the only one, there is data out there on how heavy rain has caused coral bleaching. Extreme conditions can cause certain areas in the sea to change the water parameters enough to cause stress to coral.
Can you offer a link to the data that shows pollutants in rain caused coral bleaching...id truly be very interested in reading how they identified that the bleaching was caused by heavy rain independently of environmental stressors far more likely to lead to bleaching (even reading why they would conclude heavy rain contributed to bleaching at all would be interesting). I really would read it.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you offer a link to the data that shows pollutants in rain caused coral bleaching...id truly be very interested in reading how they identified that the bleaching was caused by heavy rain independently of environmental stressors far more likely to lead to bleaching (even reading why they would conclude heavy rain contributed to bleaching at all would be interesting). I really would read it.
If you go on google scholar and type the search words you can choose one of the many available.
Not everything can be diluted in the oceans, hence all the current global issues affecting coral and other ocean’s inhabitants.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go on google scholar and type the search words you can choose one of the many available.
Not everything can be diluted in the oceans, hence all the current global issues affecting coral and other ocean’s inhabitants.
I just wasted 15 minutes looking and the closest I found was a brief mention by NOAA that heavy precipitation can lead to runoff that leads to sedimentation which can cause bleaching of corals very close to shore...I couldn't find any data there or in any scientific publication. You clearly read the data somewhere...can you share your source?
I'm not sure what you mean by "not everything can be diluted in the oceans". Dilution is dependent upon concentration...are you suggesting that if you pour a certain substance into the ocean it might not be diluted depending on what it is? Do you believe that when it rains hard that area of the ocean is permanantly less saline?
Sorry, but although pollution is an issue, to say " ALL the current global issues affecting coral and other ocean’s inhabitants" are due to the ocean being unable to dilute a pollutant, contaminant, etc. Is empirically wrong.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wasted 15 minutes looking and the closest I found was a brief mention by NOAA that heavy precipitation can lead to runoff that leads to sedimentation which can cause bleaching of corals very close to shore...I couldn't find any data there or in any scientific publication. You clearly read the data somewhere...can you share your source?
I'm not sure what you mean by "not everything can be diluted in the oceans". Dilution is dependent upon concentration...are you suggesting that if you pour a certain substance into the ocean it might not be diluted depending on what it is? Do you believe that when it rains hard that area of the ocean is permanantly less saline?
Sorry, but although pollution is an issue, to say " ALL the current global issues affecting coral and other ocean’s inhabitants" are due to the ocean being unable to dilute a pollutant, contaminant, etc. Is empirically wrong.

Just the first 3 that come up on my search.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
North east the rain is acidic.
From coal burning.
Knocks bark right off the trees.
Would depress my PH and destabilize the system but may work well for others.
As long as you know the components in your water, it’s fine.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, thanks! The first makes no mention of bleaching actually and again, rainfall and sedimentation from runoff are combined.

Did you read it or the others and do they mention rainfall leading to bleaching independently and solely due to lowering the salinity?

Also, do you still hold the position that not everything is diluted by the oceans? You can rephrase that if you meant something different.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read it or the others and do they mention rainfall leading to bleaching independently and solely due to lowering the salinity?

You can easily conduct this experiment at home. Simply dip your valuable SPS in low salinity water for a couple of hours to simulate a strong tropical low rain bombing a low tide reef. Let us know how it goes.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can easily conduct this experiment at home. Simply dip your valuable SPS in low salinity water for a couple of hours to simulate a strong tropical low rain bombing a low tide reef. Let us know how it goes.
Ok, im going to an aquarium equal to the volume of 3/4 of the Earth. How much should I decrease the salinity by and at what rate? I bet you have no clue how to answer either question without using Google as a crutch, yet you say it would be easy...
Also, do you think that anyone on the forum has had a small decrease in salinity because their ATO malfunctioned or their refractometer was inaccurate? I think that's probably the majority of people.

I think it might be educational if you calculate how much freshwater would need to be added to the ocean to decrease the salinity by any detectable level.
That only takes a calculator! Can you please post your calculations?

Honestly, are you actually serious or kidding?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
North east the rain is acidic.
From coal burning.
Knocks bark right off the trees.
Would depress my PH and destabilize the system but may work well for others.
As long as you know the components in your water, it’s fine.
Wouldn’t allowing that rain water to gas off not raise that pH? Ultimately water co2 equalizes with air co2

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Didn’t know scholar existed. Might help find that I couldn’t before

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t allowing that rain water to gas off not raise that pH? Ultimately water co2 equalizes with air co2
The concentration of carbon dioxide in water isn't necessarily equivalent to air unless you address a variety of variables to make it equivalent. It wont become equal to that of air just by leaving it open if thats what you mean by gassing off.
There are other pollutants that can cause acid rain as well and you can't know why the rain is acidic only from measuring pH.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concentration of carbon dioxide in water isn't necessarily equivalent to air unless you address a variety of variables to make it equivalent. It wont become equal to that of air just by leaving it open if thats what you mean by gassing off.
There are other pollutants that can cause acid rain as well and you can't know why the rain is acidic only from measuring pH.
Understood but other pollutants can be removed by filtration same as used on tap or well yet co2 itself will equalize with atmospheric air and expedited if aerated. My biggest concern being pollutants and why RODI still valid with rain. Just need less to be pulled out and should last longer because no calcium or other hard minerals dissolved.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe…idk….bark just falls off trees half way up, then the tree dies.

I’m sure you can make it safe if you want.

Too complex IMM, but everyone’s goals differ.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know scholar existed. Might help find that I couldn’t before
I like to use it regularly on topics I enjoy it’s usually better information.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe…idk….bark just falls off trees half way up, then the tree dies.

I’m sure you can make it safe if you want.

Too complex IMM, but everyone’s goals differ.
But that’s not likely due to co2 concentrations but perhaps other toxins

Why do you consider it more complex? Capture rain water. Run it through RODI. For some might be the only option

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why do you consider it more complex? Capture rain water. Run it through RODI. For some might be the only option
If its your only option, I guess your hands are tied...I don't think

Just read the other two links...do you recall where you read that data? The links primarily discuss the impact of sedimentation from runoff, not from decreases in salinity from rainfall in the absence of other stressors.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its your only option, I guess your hands are tied...
For me, rain water or AC condensate being the most prudent otherwise hooking up an RODI to an outside hose yet my tap water is hard and in the long run I'd waste more DI and run through more membranes then if I tapped rain or condensate. Were in-house access to tapping tap feasible then I'd a taken that route long ago.

As is, trips to the grocery store for distilled my only access which works on my nano test but won't on my main. Although these days I have Walmart deliver Parent's Choice but that can get expensive and requires storing gallons of water for a rainy day. No pun intended.

Nearest LFS an hour plus inconvenience and I'd rather not rely on them being diligent on changing their filters vs squeezing every penny out of them. They gauge on every item therefore I'm not confident they'd be honest about making pure water.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have no idea what’s in local rainfalls so I can’t tell if the RO process or the DI process is effective.

To me, it’s easier and safer to start with tap water in most cases, especially if it’s a good large city system.

With factories emitting all sorts of chemicals into the air, this soup is going to make it into the rainwater, and then, into your reef system.

Is that an issue? Maybe or not, it depends a lot on your local rainfall.

If I had no choice, sure, I’d use it. But then I got to collect it, maybe move it, then pressurize it.

My tap does all of that, but of course, for a price.

We are lucky to have great clean delivered water in our city at a very reasonable price, so for me, big city dweller, tap is so much easier.

But I completely respect other sources as well, each comes with there own unique challenges.

Last edited:

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, im going to an aquarium equal to the volume of 3/4 of the Earth. How much should I decrease the salinity by and at what rate? I bet you have no clue how to answer either question without using Google as a crutch, yet you say it would be easy...
Also, do you think that anyone on the forum has had a small decrease in salinity because their ATO malfunctioned or their refractometer was inaccurate? I think that's probably the majority of people.

I think it might be educational if you calculate how much freshwater would need to be added to the ocean to decrease the salinity by any detectable level.
That only takes a calculator! Can you please post your calculations?

Honestly, are you actually serious or kidding?

Bleaching from exposure to low salinity water is a fact. It’s typically observed in smaller volumes of water like the rock pool example Ive provided or where a strong persistent halocline developes in a flooded body of water.

Interestingly enough, some corals are able to manage the stress of low salinity better than others.

Your ATO example is also a good one. Of course hobbyists have had SPS bleach after a malfunction. We’re not talking minor changes here, rather full reservoir dumps. Again, when this has happened not all corals have suffered.

Looking at this through the lens of total ocean volume is fundamentally incorrect so I won’t bother with your calculation. It has absolutely no bearing on whether freshwater can bleach corals.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 32 44.4%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 6.9%
Back