OP
BristolEVO

BristolEVO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@BristolEVO that sucks you couldn’t take those rocks on the plane. Just 3 pounds!!! Subscribed.

- Mitchell.
I know right!?! The guy said too heavy but then said it would be OK to take if I checked the bag. Well, in my carry-on or checked, the same 3 pounds are still on the plane! Not worth arguing over but it'll bother me for a while because these rocks were perfect.

Flameback Pair

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right!?! The guy said too heavy but then said it would be OK to take if I checked the bag. Well, in my carry-on or checked, the same 3 pounds are still on the plane! Not worth arguing over but it'll bother me for a while because these rocks were perfect.
@BristolEVO good thing you didn’t stick the rock in your pocket to hide it from security. Could have a hitchhiker crustacean pinch you in the crotch area!!! LOL

OP
OP
BristolEVO

BristolEVO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problems!

Sunday I did a 20% water change and tested. Tests looked fine.

Yesterday in the AM I spotted 2 dead snails in the tank. Slight bad smell so it must not have been too long. Water looked a bit hazy. This prompted me to test again and I saw:

Nitrate NO2 - 117 ppb
Ammonia NH3 - 0.14

Not zero but didn't seem excessive either. This morning both clowns were dead at the bottom. The diamond goby looks fine and corals look normal. What the heck is happening?? Prepping for another water change now.

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Problems!

Sunday I did a 20% water change and tested. Tests looked fine.

Yesterday in the AM I spotted 2 dead snails in the tank. Slight bad smell so it must not have been too long. Water looked a bit hazy. This prompted me to test again and I saw:

Nitrate NO2 - 117 ppb
Ammonia NH3 - 0.14

Not zero but didn't seem excessive either. This morning both clowns were dead at the bottom. The diamond goby looks fine and corals look normal. What the heck is happening?? Prepping for another water change now.
Oh no!!! How are the corals, is it just fish and inverts? I’m so sorry!

AmazingYocool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the best way to rinse? Collander is too open and I'll be there all day with coffee filters. Or dump and swish it in a bucket and keep changing the water? My tap water has high chlorine and other garbage so I'm hesitant to get that water near anything with this tank and kill off the live sand.
Nice setup! But do not rinse your sand. If thats live sand, it has bacteria in it. Rinsing it in tap water will kill it.

OP
OP
BristolEVO

BristolEVO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your clowns show any signs of distress the day prior?
Oh no!!! How are the corals, is it just fish and inverts? I’m so sorry!
The day prior the clowns were acting a little lazy compared to normal and hanging out under the rock arch. And they didn't go as crazy at feed time, like not very hungry.

The corals all seem fine. No signs of anything wrong. Open and extended. And the only two inverts that died were the two snails I added last Saturday. Other snails, blue leg hermits, and urchin are all still alive and active.

Looking back at the timeline I bet those 2 new snails were carrying disease or bacteria. Only those two died, then the water got hazy, I'm thinking bacteria bloom, and then the fish all died within 24 hours.

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day prior the clowns were acting a little lazy compared to normal and hanging out under the rock arch. And they didn't go as crazy at feed time, like not very hungry.

The corals all seem fine. No signs of anything wrong. Open and extended. And the only two inverts that died were the two snails I added last Saturday. Other snails, blue leg hermits, and urchin are all still alive and active.

Looking back at the timeline I bet those 2 new snails were carrying disease or bacteria. Only those two died, then the water got hazy, I'm thinking bacteria bloom, and then the fish all died within 24 hours.
Hmmm seems like it’d have to be disease of some kind for the coral and most inverts to be doing fine…that would be so weird if the snails carried something in! I hope that’s not the case =/

Back