Red planet

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see your Red Planet colonies and what you’re hitting them with for PAR? Mine is starting to take off just don’t know how to get it to color up… thanks !

To the left of the green tenuis…

IMG_8515.jpeg

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000017022.jpg

The Red Planet is on the right and the left is the TSA Carolina Reaper. I'm giving it 300-350 par.

Do you know what your potassium level is? I noticed much better color getting my potassium up to 400.
I don’t test for potassium since I stopped tinkering with ICP testing. I don’t mind finding out what it is though and I’ll keep that in mind. Though I do dose ESV Transition Elements and there’s some in there. Thanks.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more about spectrum than par. If you run heavy blues it's never going to be insane bright red.
Running 2x Hydra 64’s blue channels 100 and whites 35, with an Orphek blue plus. Won’t say it’s overly blue.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be hitting it with not enough PAR. I’ll put the meter on it soon. Thanks.
I just bought an ORA Red Planet frag from a color farmer that was showing good growth under less than 175 PAR. Its corallites, while red, are pretty far apart and it's white in between. I'm slowly acclimating it to more light over a few weeks.

I've had ORA RB in another system for over a decade and it's a nice full red and pretty dense. So I know this new frag will get there it just needs more light. It will eventually be under 350 PAR like my dense red colony.

Though I've read for years that people dose Potassium I've never felt like I could do it with any accuracy, so I never have. There is a Salifert test kit but it's a hobbyist kit and thereforethe margin of error is too great. ICP takes too long to give a value that you can adjust with any accuracy given the time between test sent and results received. Not criticizing anyone who's dosing it, just can't see the need myself.

FWIW :)

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Planet was my single most prized coral when I had to break down my tank about 12 years ago. At that time, it was a HOT ITEM but now I don't see them available much and none locally. Why are they not as popular now because they are SO spectacular when they are happy.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Planet was my single most prized coral when I had to break down my tank about 12 years ago. At that time, it was a HOT ITEM but now I don't see them available much and none locally. Why are they not as popular now because they are SO spectacular when they are happy.
I think it’s a gorgeous coral. Mine is lime green base, pale red branches and fairly light, basically white tips, with real nice polyp extension. Would love to see it color up darker!

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an ORA Red Planet frag from a color farmer that was showing good growth under less than 175 PAR. Its corallites, while red, are pretty far apart and it's white in between. I'm slowly acclimating it to more light over a few weeks.

I've had ORA RB in another system for over a decade and it's a nice full red and pretty dense. So I know this new frag will get there it just needs more light. It will eventually be under 350 PAR like my dense red colony.

Though I've read for years that people dose Potassium I've never felt like I could do it with any accuracy, so I never have. There is a Salifert test kit but it's a hobbyist kit and thereforethe margin of error is too great. ICP takes too long to give a value that you can adjust with any accuracy given the time between test sent and results received. Not criticizing anyone who's dosing it, just can't see the need myself.

FWIW :)
I used to send out ICP’s and dose this, that, and the other thing based off results. Pretty sure to irresponsible levels. Tank seemed
to have issues, so I went back to more frequent water changes, using ESV salt, ESV B Ionic 2 part, ESV Transition Elements, tank has settled nicely.

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to send out ICP’s and dose this, that, and the other thing based off results. Pretty sure to irresponsible levels. Tank seemed
to have issues, so I went back to more frequent water changes, using ESV salt, ESV B Ionic 2 part, ESV Transition Elements, tank has settled nicely.
Yah I don't mess with all the minor trace element dosing mainly because it seems like alot and I'm lazy. I'm sure things could look better or whatever, but almost everything looks good and colors up just using water changes and all4 reef with kalk. The only things I dose are iodide and magnesium. The iodide I have no idea if it has an effect. It may help some softies and lps out and I know it's supposed to be used up more in reef tanks so I dose the non toxic version iodide every week.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 55 38.2%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • No.

Votes: 64 44.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back