Red Sea - ReefMat 1200 question

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for sharing the pics and suggestions! much appreciated. I reefmat is on a riser in my sump so going to try and adjust to raise it a bit and see if it makes a difference.

On another note; I have been ordering my reef rolls from BRS and quite expensive. I wish I would of done more research before just ordering 4 rolls :) I came across Ali Express - and noticed the rolls selling for $12! I wonder how the quality is as normally I would stick with original stuff but if I can't get it to last at least 3 weeks I may give the ones selling on Ali Express a try.
Any review on the Chinese fleece?

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please ask for Steve and he will make rolls for you + adapters from @mackdave and you're good to go.
Much cheaper than the oem rolls.

Is the material non toxic or inert?

Would be cool to get the micron level I want

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any review on the Chinese fleece?
It depends where you buy it from.
The last lot i got was literally in Red Sea packaging and no different to normal - so i actually think it was the proper stuff.
I have just ordered another 4 rolls of what looks to be un-branded stuff that was a little cheaper (about 19 AUD a roll), so will let you know how that goes.
But i'm getting close to 2 months out of them at the moment.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on the fence with these things for a while. I will only run part of my sump flow through one but can't decide on brand.

Does the RedSea work without their app? I honestly want NOTHING to do with another app or cloud hosted or tied device. If it can't work locally without internet, I don't want it.

I think that rules out the SmartRoller. Not sure about RS. But those appear to be the only 2 with easy to change fleece.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been on the fence with these things for a while. I will only run part of my sump flow through one but can't decide on brand.

Does the RedSea work without their app? I honestly want NOTHING to do with another app or cloud hosted or tied device. If it can't work locally without internet, I don't want it.

I think that rules out the SmartRoller. Not sure about RS. But those appear to be the only 2 with easy to change fleece.
I recall the unit working from memory without being set up via app but the advance quantity will be not be adjustable (I don't recall how much it will roll but I'm sure its more than 2") which may cause issues with ato/siphon consistency. I can verify that later by unadding and hard resetting one of my units and seeing what happens if you'd like.

What I can't verify though is what will happen at the end of a roll since I don't know a way to reset it at rolls end without internet/app since it doesn't use bluetooth. Never tried just putting in a new roll without resetting the counter in the app before but for the sake of science I should do that on the earliest roll change I need to do. (I will need ~12-15 day since my closest to end roll is at 50% life)

Hope this helps!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall the unit working from memory without being set up via app but the advance quantity will be not be adjustable (I don't recall how much it will roll but I'm sure its more than 2") which may cause issues with ato/siphon consistency. I can verify that later by unadding and hard resetting one of my units and seeing what happens if you'd like.

What I can't verify though is what will happen at the end of a roll since I don't know a way to reset it at rolls end without internet/app since it doesn't use bluetooth. Never tried just putting in a new roll without resetting the counter in the app before but for the sake of science I should do that on the earliest roll change I need to do. (I will need ~12-15 day since my closest to end roll is at 50% life)

Hope this helps!
I suppose I could just call them. I am really trying to avoid DIY or buying $500 unit and DIYing my own controller. I am really set on not having to maintain any more vendor cloud services or being at all depending or tied to them. The GHL account is enough.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just remembered the other reason I don't like the concept of Hydros

They took essentially open source Reef Pi gadgets

And turned them proprietary

I have seen that Kraken power unit in a Raspberry Pi configuration, before I saw the Kraken. It's literally the same build

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three of these units running on my systems for over a year now and really like them. Have you unrolled a used roll to see if they are in fact dirty? Is it possible its advancing clean fleece? One of my units did something similar when it was new. I called RedSea and they sent me a new drive motor. All the intelligence of this roller is in the drive unit. There is no way you could be using that much fleece in that quick of time given the tank size you have. My 300 FOWLR has two units installed and I'm getting over two months out of each roll.

OP
OP
A

AquAttila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine drops a similar amount to yours when rolling (my advance is set for less than 1 inch) but being further submerged will cause the fleece to have more back pressure = will roll more often.
20240624_160942.jpg

A very high bioload on a system fed with 2 vectra l2 at max. That with an oem roll the main roller gets about 32 days or so of use with very heavy feeding multiple times a day
Hi. so raising the reef mat definitely helped and now I am about 60" / daily use. Can you tell me what you use per day is around?

Thanks for the advise on getting fleece rolls from Ali Express. I can live with $12 / roll, especially if I can get about 4 weeks out of a single roll.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the oem rolls on the quoted pictures tank, it's about 40 inches a day. Since switching to precon rolls for a longer period, its averaging ~50 a day (initially was higher but the system has since leveled out in smaller particulates)

OP
OP
A

AquAttila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the oem rolls on the quoted pictures tank, it's about 40 inches a day. Since switching to precon rolls for a longer period, its averaging ~50 a day (initially was higher but the system has since leveled out in smaller particulates)
Thanks... so looks like i may do some other adjustment to it to get it at least to ~50".

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks... so looks like i may do some other adjustment to it to get it at least to ~50".
Keep in mind that my usage should realistically be higher but I utilize more than 1 filter roller on that particular tank.

OP
OP
A

AquAttila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I finally started to use the reef roll that I order from Ali Express. What I immediately noticed is that the mat seems more dense. uses more per hour as I can see and water level only drops like 1/2" below the sensor vs. almost 2" with the Red Sea original reefmat. Anyway you can tell me the company to look for or a link to the reef mat's you purchase from Ali Express. I will see how this works and to be honest, even if I get 2 weeks out of a roll at $12 - it is fine. I will keep the red sea and use if I go away for an extended period of time.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, so I finally started to use the reef roll that I order from Ali Express. What I immediately noticed is that the mat seems more dense. uses more per hour as I can see and water level only drops like 1/2" below the sensor vs. almost 2" with the Red Sea original reefmat. Anyway you can tell me the company to look for or a link to the reef mat's you purchase from Ali Express. I will see how this works and to be honest, even if I get 2 weeks out of a roll at $12 - it is fine. I will keep the red sea and use if I go away for an extended period of time.
I don't order from aliexpress, https://preconfilter.com/ is where I get mine.
You will need to email them and ask for rolls intended for the reefmat 1200 and they will know what to make for you.
I get significantly more than 2 weeks out of each of the new rolls and assume you likely will as well.

OP
OP
A

AquAttila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't order from aliexpress, https://preconfilter.com/ is where I get mine.
You will need to email them and ask for rolls intended for the reefmat 1200 and they will know what to make for you.
I get significantly more than 2 weeks out of each of the new rolls and assume you likely will as well.
Cool. thanks!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 65 36.9%
  • No.

Votes: 100 56.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 6.3%
Back