Red sea tank crash!!

duckdodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought this day would come. I've had the infamous red sea blow out. It became a total loss. I was on vacation 5 hrs away and when my apex showed a leak was detected I checked the camera and already had 30gallons gone. Can anyone advise me if they had any luck with home owner insurance and red sea directly
20240627_201251.jpg
20240622_214317.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the crazy costs of insurance these days I wouldn't recommend. In the long run you'll pay way more for the premiums.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the leak along the front bottom seam? If so, in the pic with the tank still up it looks like a lot of the silicone was giving away already. Was it just not noticed?
When dealing with RS if the tank is out of warranty they very likely won't do a thing. Plus they'll probably make a fit about not using their stand and no foam mat was used. For homeowner's insurance you'll want to see what your deductible is.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homeowners will not cover a leaking aquarium, not sure why that’s always brought up on forums.

RS won’t do anything as you are on a home made stand.

Very sorry this happened , worst nightmare.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the leak along the front bottom seam? If so, in the pic with the tank still up it looks like a lot of the silicone was giving away already. Was it just not noticed?
When dealing with RS if the tank is out of warranty they very likely won't do a thing. Plus they'll probably make a fit about not using their stand and no foam mat was used. For homeowner's insurance you'll want to see what your deductible is.

Oh ya wow front seam was failing

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss but why did you use a home made stand? Is this a second hand purchased tank? Even in the beautiful picture you posted you can see some front seam issues right in the middle of the tank which was probably long before the failure.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homeowners will not cover a leaking aquarium, not sure why that’s always brought up on forums.

RS won’t do anything as you are on a home made stand.

Very sorry this happened , worst nightmare.
Depending on what your coverage is, it could absolutely cover any damage caused by the water to the home. If they have hardwood floors for example, it would get them fixed or new ones would be covered.

Insurance won’t pay for any part of the tank or animals tho.

My homeowners is through USAA and I specifically asked all about it when getting the homeowners policy.

OP
OP
duckdodgers

duckdodgers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
Sorry for your loss but why did you use a home made stand? Is this a second hand purchased tank? Even in the beautiful picture you posted you can see some front seam issues right in the middle of the tank which was probably long before the failure.
It was purchased as a new tank without stand

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on what your coverage is, it could absolutely cover any damage caused by the water to the home. If they have hardwood floors for example, it would get them fixed or new ones would be covered.

Insurance won’t pay for any part of the tank or animals tho.

My homeowners is through USAA and I specifically asked all about it when getting the homeowners policy.
In general you are correct. However, each policy is different. Some cover damage - others you need a specific rider on your policy (i.e. you have to tell them you have xxx gallon aquarium for any damage to be covered). Additionally, some policies cover the tank itself and the stand if its broken - as well as equipment. Livestock, without a special policy I've never heard being covered.

Which tank do you have? Was it a Gen 1 or 2? Redsea may not want to be as helpful as you used a custom stand. Hopefully they and your insurance will give you some answers and results quickly - as its obviously a stressful situation...

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 101 28.8%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 147 41.9%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 87 24.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.6%
Back