Reefing prices - Dockworkers' strike

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not a political post, not interested in anyone's ideas about the strike itself.

If the Dockworker strike goes a while, what are some reef related items that are shipped to the US that could become scarce and go up in price?

Lighting, pumps, and other electronics could become scarce.
I am guessing salt is shipped here too, and even US made salts are getting materials from overseas.
Building materials, including PVC pipe.
Glass is probably shipped here.

Hopefully things are figured out and the ships go burrrrr again, soon.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine products coming out of Europe....Italy and Germany come to mind, they will be impacted by the strike......East coast ports. Those coming out of Asia....China, they should be just fine....West coast ports....still open and not impacted by the strike.

OP
OP
puddleglum

puddleglum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine products coming out of Europe....Italy and Germany come to mind, they will be impacted by the strike......East coast ports. Those coming out of Asia....China, they should be just fine....West coast ports....still open and not impacted by the strike.
That's interesting, I didn't realize this was an Atlantic shipping only situation. So German products could be affected if it goes long.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will affect all imports and exports to/from the states if is goes long term. Some ships from China go through the panama canal to unload on the East coast.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting, I didn't realize this was an Atlantic shipping only situation. So German products could be affected if it goes long.

Different union on the West coast that settled their contract last year. The ILA covers East and Golf coast ports from Maine to Texas.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strike impacts the US East and Gulf coasts.
Ocean carriers have already begun imposing $1000/20' containers and $1500/40' container. The increased cargo volumes which are being diverted to the West Coast will create a congestion issue. Hoping for a rapid resolution to the labor disputes but frankly I am not optimistic.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will affect all imports and exports to/from the states if is goes long term. Some ships from China go through the panama canal to unload on the East coast.

I've got to believe they'll redirect to the West coast. I just heard over 50 ships are now waiting docking with just a couple days ago it was only three ships waiting.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to believe they'll redirect to the West coast. I just heard over 50 ships are now waiting docking with just a couple days ago it was only three ships waiting.

Yes but then you run into capacity constraints unloading and trucking from the West coast.

danreef55

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the possibility of the West coast ILA will walk out in solidarity. The president can invoke Taft Hartley which imposes an 80 day 'cooling off period' forcing the union back to work. This is NOT a settlement of the contract disputes. Without a resolution the workers can go back on strike after the 80 days

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lust ordered some Salifert kits (Holland) and an extra bucket of salt just in case.

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no chance of that happening. The vessels will sit at anchor. If the strike continues for a long time, the vessels will sail with the cargo still on board, and they'll unload the U.S. destined cargo at some other port and pick it up later.

Last edited:

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is the possibility of the West coast ILA will walk out in solidarity. The president can invoke Taft Hartley which imposes an 80 day 'cooling off period' forcing the union back to work. This is NOT a settlement of the contract disputes. Without a resolution the workers can go back on strike after the 80 days
They may be forced back to work for 80 days, but I imagine the work will be done at a snails pace in that time.

Yes but then you run into capacity constraints unloading and trucking from the West coast.
Unions on the West Coast said they will not unload ships that were originally slated to be in a port on the east coast

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 20.5%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back