Regal Angel eating

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 4” regal angel from nyaquatic on the 6-2-2024 and the bugger is refusing to eat anything. They said they have had him for 3 months eating spirulina brine shrimp. I got some of said food and he still will not eat. Will not touch Nori, pe pellets, mysis, or half shell clams.

He is in a 130 gallon reef with plenty of hiding spots and live rock. My yellow tang has bothered him a little but nothing at all concerning and non of the other fish even acknowledge his presence.

Any suggestions on what to do?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 4” regal angel from nyaquatic on the 6-2-2024 and the bugger is refusing to eat anything. They said they have had him for 3 months eating spirulina brine shrimp. I got some of said food and he still will not eat. Will not touch Nori, pe pellets, mysis, or half shell clams.

He is in a 130 gallon reef with plenty of hiding spots and live rock. My yellow tang has bothered him a little but nothing at all concerning and non of the other fish even acknowledge his presence.

I assume you had him shipped. They don’t travel well so it is possible that he ate there but not in your tank. I would suggest to put him in a separate tank so he can has minimum stress and maybe he will start eating. It’s been one month so you are running out of time.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the regal fat or thin?

I ask because if he's fat. He's eating something. If he's thin... you can try mastic, spread brine/mysis on rock work and hope to trigger grazing habbits.

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you had him shipped. They don’t travel well so it is possible that he ate there but not in your tank. I would suggest to put him in a separate tank so he can has minimum stress and maybe he will start eating. It’s been one month so you are running out of time.
I just realized i typed a 6 instead of 7 he was introduced 2 days ago. He is nice and fat currently

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the regal fat or thin?

I ask because if he's fat. He's eating something. If he's thin... you can try mastic, spread brine/mysis on rock work and hope to trigger grazing habbits.
I ordered mastic. I did try spreading the brine and clams and he took no interest. I am hoping he is still stressed from shipping and just hasn’t fully adjusted yet. I am just trying to keep on top of it BEFORE it becomes a problem and not 2 weeks in when he is really thin

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

INTRODUCED 7-2-2024 not 6-2-2024

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine grazed on green hair algae and pods for a couple of weeks. Turned out to be the biggest jurk fish i ever owned.

I hope yours takes to the mastic!
Beautiful fish... but my ex regal has me urked.

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine grazed on green hair algae and pods for a couple of weeks. Turned out to be the biggest jurk fish i ever owned.

I hope yours takes to the mastic!
Beautiful fish... but my ex regal has me urked.
He moves around the whole tank sometimes and then goes back to his rock. I haven’t observed any grazing yet.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made many caves for my regal.
She took the whole left side of the tank to herself
20240615_145306.jpg

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clams on the half shell soaked in garlic usually catch my regal’s attention and get them to eat!

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5801.jpeg

I am also worried that he has a fluke on his mouth although from my experience it seems a little big to be a fluke so i am thinking it might be a discoloration. He is not labored in breathing and swimming normally.

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still not grazing on the rocks and has not touched the mastic i put in there :(

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever try clams or live blackworms? Both of those tend to be sure fire in my experience of keeping regals that aren't on their way out. Usually anything that catches their interest if they want to eat will cause them to rush over right away.
If you can take a photo of the fish under white lights, that will help with any potential diagnosis of issues (there seems to be some weird sheen on the body?)

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever try clams or live blackworms? Both of those tend to be sure fire in my experience of keeping regals that aren't on their way out. Usually anything that catches their interest if they want to eat will cause them to rush over right away.
If you can take a photo of the fish under white lights, that will help with any potential diagnosis of issues (there seems to be some weird sheen on the body?)
I have tried half shell clams no interests at all. I have not tried live blackworms I could give them a shot this weekend but i fear that he will get outcompeted for them. I have not noticed any sheen. No odd swimming patterns, not overly shy actually moves around the tank a decent amount. For the life of me I can’t figure this guy out he eyes up everything but then leaves it be.

Attachments

• IMG_5832.jpeg
    IMG_5832.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5834.jpeg
    IMG_5834.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 49

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried half shell clams no interests at all. I have not tried live blackworms I could give them a shot this weekend but i fear that he will get outcompeted for them. I have not noticed any sheen. No odd swimming patterns, not overly shy actually moves around the tank a decent amount. For the life of me I can’t figure this guy out he eyes up everything but then leaves it be.

1720823433680.png

Perhaps sheen may be an incorrect statement but those blotches are not normal in my opinion. 1720823529696.png
In this photo you can see what seems to be some sort of bacterial infection? If the fish isn't showing remote interest in anything (particularly grazing since it's in a display and not a qt) then it may pass unfortunately due to complications from something else.

OP
OP
TheWhiteFord

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1720823433680.png

Perhaps sheen may be an incorrect statement but those blotches are not normal in my opinion. 1720823529696.png
In this photo you can see what seems to be some sort of bacterial infection? If the fish isn't showing remote interest in anything (particularly grazing since it's in a display and not a qt) then it may pass unfortunately due to complications from something else.
ah okay I understand what you are saying now

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back